Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 08:08 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
To be fair, he’s pretty much white. If you’d shown me his mugshot without a name associated, I would have said that he’s pretty much white. Syrians tend to be more “Mediterranean” in appearance as opposed to “Arab”, and the Lebanese Catholics next door join white American society without a hitch in my observation, so really, the Muslim background is pretty much the only reason he’s not considered white. I’ve known a few Bosnians who downplay their Muslim background for the same reason. I imagine the sort of dynamic that played out on here regarding his identity is the sort of thing that can really exacerbate a schizoid condition, and the profile the Denver Post did on him seems to suggest as much too.
Agreed. If you recall the media rhetoric with Tsarnaevs, the Boston Bombers. It started with "two what seems like frat boys in baseball hats" but then quickly turned into two Muslim brothers from Chechnya (or Dagistan, I can't remember now). Media was not ready how to portray them because they are white (they are from the Caucuses, so they are the original Caucasians), but they are not acceptable white because they were also Muslim. So what happened instead they basically accepted the rhetoric, and assigned them identity that is used in Russia (source: I am a native speaker of Russian), that these two are basically Kavkazcy (from the Caucuses; the term basically means unruly, barbarian like, mostly Muslim, basically violent people and terrorists). They were Russia's others and quickly also became that here -- immigrant Muslim brothers from a war-torn region of Russia that Russia itself can't tame since the Tsar Alexander I took all those lands from then Persia back in early 19th century.

Anyway, for those who are saying if he were white it would have come out quicker... that's not necessarily true. I think media effed up multiple times, and most of the time they do not even know how to assign a certain identity to these people, so they stall a bit to figure out how to go about without being ridiculed later.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:23 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Agreed. If you recall the media rhetoric with Tsarnaevs, the Boston Bombers. It started with "two what seems like frat boys in baseball hats" but then quickly turned into two Muslim brothers from Chechnya (or Dagistan, I can't remember now). Media was not ready how to portray them because they are white (they are from the Caucuses, so they are the original Caucasians), but they are not acceptable white because they were also Muslim. So what happened instead they basically accepted the rhetoric, and assigned them identity that is used in Russia (source: I am a native speaker of Russian), that these two are basically Kavkazcy (from the Caucuses; the term basically means unruly, barbarian like, mostly Muslim, basically violent people and terrorists). They were Russia's others and quickly also became that here -- immigrant Muslim brothers from a war-torn region of Russia that Russia itself can't tame since the Tsar Alexander I took all those lands from then Persia back in early 19th century.

Anyway, for those who are saying if he were white it would have come out quicker... that's not necessarily true. I think media effed up multiple times, and most of the time they do not even know how to assign a certain identity to these people, so they stall a bit to figure out how to go about without being ridiculed later.
Remember most in the media are pretty ignorant of just about everything they discuss on a daily basis.

It really doesnt matter if they were white, black, Jew, Muslim etc.....The family is putting out the narrative that he was crazy. Well if so why didnt they intervene? There was nothing on his record to prevent him from buying a gun. I believe at 21 he would have had to commit himself at some point? Not sure on the laws.

Either way, all angles need to be reviewed. Was it mental illness? Terrorism?

Also, CO was stupid for doing away with the death penalty. Its a shame this POS and the Theater POS are still breathing.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:27 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
I'm watching Fox31 news right now and they have just announced that a Go Fund me page has been set up for officer Talley and the donations are just a bit over $367,000 with $25,000 coming in the last half hour.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:33 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Agreed. If you recall the media rhetoric with Tsarnaevs, the Boston Bombers. It started with "two what seems like frat boys in baseball hats" but then quickly turned into two Muslim brothers from Chechnya (or Dagistan, I can't remember now). Media was not ready how to portray them because they are white (they are from the Caucuses, so they are the original Caucasians),...
It was Chechnya. I lived in the area when the bombing happened and worked a couple of miles from the shootout site. We heard the shooting when going outside the building for a break. The family was grifters and had every advantage as resettled refugees and yes, they are Caucasians by ethnic origin.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:35 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Remember most in the media are pretty ignorant of just about everything they discuss on a daily basis.

It really doesnt matter if they were white, black, Jew, Muslim etc.....The family is putting out the narrative that he was crazy. Well if so why didnt they intervene? There was nothing on his record to prevent him from buying a gun. I believe at 21 he would have had to commit himself at some point? Not sure on the laws.

Either way, all angles need to be reviewed. Was it mental illness? Terrorism?

Also, CO was stupid for doing away with the death penalty. Its a shame this POS and the Theater POS are still breathing.
The theater shooter was tried as a death penalty case and the prosecution failed to obtain the conviction. It was an absolute waste of money by a grandstanding jackass of a district attorney. The defense offered a plea of life in prison without parole before the trial (which is what the conviction ended up being), but George Brauchler wouldn't take it because that wouldn't have given him the media attention he craves. He's completely worthless. He lost my vote after that, and he continues to dig himself into a hole with me for his stupid backseat-driver hot-takes in the Denver Post.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 03-24-2021 at 10:05 AM..

Old 03-24-2021, 08:54 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,211 times
His family is pushing the mental health issue to prep his defense IMO.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:11 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Playing the devils advocate here Mike...that poster did not say “mass” stabbings. Another poster implied that meaning. The original poster is correct. A simple internet search will bring up multiple articles regarding how stabbings are on the increase in London.
Thank you for clarifying.

It is impossible to kill 58 people and wound over 500 more with a knife from a window on the 32nd floor of a hotel.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
The mass shootings in USA nearly always target the unprotected, unsuspecting, and innocent.

This says a lot about the perpetrator, and should be easy for a psychologist to offer up some really distasteful criminal penalties that might dissuade some future occurences. Probably more feared than the death penalty for someone of that mindset plotting a killing spree.

They are really quite cowardly, so not sure how well they think that prison life is going to pan out, if they thought high school was bad for bullying.

They obviously have not rationalized the tremendous disruption of the lives of their innocent victims, especially children who have an entire lifetime of memories / resolution to process.

Selfish, cowardly, inward focused, yet outward expression of their anger.

I'm an engineer, not a psychologist. ...

Old 03-24-2021, 12:30 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
OMG, I thought Boulder was relatively safe!

Relative to Chicago South Side, yes.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:31 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Mass shootings are not indicative of an area’s relative safety. There are fragile white dudes with AR-15s everywhere.

Careful. You don't want to be Islamophobic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area