Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 01:14 PM

28 posts, read 220,575 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend may very well be accepting a position in Boulder, and I was wondering how accepting the Boulder region is for gay couples. We are in our late 20's, both professionals. Are there any particularly accepting areas? I know Boulder has a reputation as a fairly tolerant place, but I would like to hear from locals. We don't need the Castro, but we would like to live somewhere where we will not be scorned and harassed, and we would like to start a family within the next five years. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 03:10 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,144,984 times
I have too considered moving to Boulder. I've visited three times and looked at housing (apartments). I found Boulder to be an ideal place in many ways but...I was left with a bad taste in my mouth. While it might be a tolerant and 'liberal' (definition uncertain) town, I think it is mired in too many regulations and restrictions. I found the people to have an attitude that was unwelcoming. I'm gay and in my mid-40s.

I think it's OK to be gay in Boulder. I tried to find the one bar in town but I don't think I walked into the right place. It certainly wasn't busy on a Friday night. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding it a pleasant place to live.

Suburban areas (I consider Boulder to be a suburb or Denver) tend not to be gay enclaves. I think, overall, a gay person would be happier in Denver than in Boulder. Of course, I could be wrong, and Boulder might be the exception. I'll be interested in what other responses you get...

Old 03-20-2007, 05:48 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,868,093 times
We were at a restaurant last night and overheard a gay man talk about his date with a guy. Yes, I would say Boulder is pretty gay friendly, I would say more for lesbians than for gay men. I see way more gay women than gay men. I should say though there has been an increase in "hate crimes" in Boulder in recent months. But overall, if I were a gay man, I would rather live in Boulder than many many other places in the country. Boulder has a lot to offer in my opinion. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:49 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,197,436 times
Boulder is more of a college/outdoors town. I think you would like it better in Denver.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:32 PM

13 posts, read 77,876 times
My partner and I (we're both women) have lived in Boulder for 2 years and find it very accepting (except for our weird neighbors who seem to belong in a different town entirely). The person who mentioned a recent increase in hate crimes is, I believe, responding to a single, albeit very disturbing, incident in which a lesbian was beaten by two men. For the precise reason that Boulder is so liberal and socially conscious (as much as a white, upper-middle class town can be), this incident drew the attention and outrage it deserved. But, it doesn't constitute a rash of hate crimes invading Boulder. I believe this incident was isolated and is not reflective of the social climate here.

Anyway, I think you needn't be the least worried about acceptance and comfort living here. Homophobes are the outcasts here, fortunately. The one thing that is funny about Boulder, however, is the complete lack of gay bars. My partner and I think it's because everyone is comfortable hanging everywhere. We never felt the need to 'escape' to a gay/lesbian hangout, but I can see why it'd be tough for singles not to have their own social space.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:06 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,868,093 times
Well, to be honest, in the paper they said that there has been 5 hate crimes this year so far, which is a lot for Boulder. I haven't followed them all up, so I don't know the details but I would not say that you shouldn't move here because there is so much gay bashing. I think Boulder is a great place to live for gays and non-gays alike.

The things I love most about Boulder are: The bike lanes and trails, the abundance of hiking, the weather, Pearl Street Mall, progressive politics, the people, the fact that it is a college town makes it more intellectual, seeing wildlife in my backyard. The night life has much to be desired, but we have kids, so we don't go out much anyhow. And just because it is a college town doesn't mean that you would be happier in Denver. There are all types of people here from young to old. You will find your niche and fit in if you try.

Good luck to you and your partner.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:38 AM

8 posts, read 62,289 times
Default Good Luck Jordan

My partner John and I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL (The New Gay Mecca). Yet hate crimes are on the rise here too. John and I are both relocating to Denver where I grew up. My sister lives in Boulder and John and I visit often. Boulder is a great place and I feel safe and welcome there. Just take into consideration that it is a college town and that there are lots of students from other parts of the country where being gay is not cool. But that would be ANY college town. I think you will be very, very happy in Boulder. Denver is just a hop skip and jump away, and you will be spending a lot of time there. Many people commute. My sisters husband for instance works in Denver but lives in Boulder. I am so excited for you both.

Michael and John
Ft Laud, soon to be Denver

Old 03-21-2007, 10:47 AM

106 posts, read 432,200 times
Boulder is accepting of Gays, and what ever other wacko thing they think you have to do (but if you don't think like they do then they aren't very "accepting"). I am not much of a Boulder fan.

I also have a gay co-worker who lives in Boulder, and he hates it there. Not because of any anti-gay issues, but because of all the other stupidity that goes on there. The only reason he still lives there is because he inherited a house from his Grandmother.

Find some place else. I suspect that other than very specific area's (such as maybe in the Co. Springs area) you won't have any problems with be accepted. From what I have seen, the vast majority of us straighties simply don't care. But you're going to have your moronic homophob's where ever you go though.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:46 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,950,016 times
Smile Check these sites if you haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan475 View Post
My boyfriend may very well be accepting a position in Boulder, and I was wondering how accepting the Boulder region is for gay couples. We are in our late 20's, both professionals. Are there any particularly accepting areas? I know Boulder has a reputation as a fairly tolerant place, but I would like to hear from locals. We don't need the Castro, but we would like to live somewhere where we will not be scorned and harassed, and we would like to start a family within the next five years. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
Hello Jordan475. Check out these sites if you haven't. They were very helpful with our decision about CO.

HRC.org
Gaydemographics.org

The latter is based on the 2000 census, so I believe you should allow an increase of 7% to the number you see for each figure.

Good luck....Aloha

Old 03-21-2007, 03:24 PM

28 posts, read 220,575 times
Default thanks

Thanks for all the help, everyone. to clarify, I'm not really worried about hate crimes, but we're coming from very tolerant Seattle, and I just do not want to live somewhere where I'll have to go back in the closet. I suspected Boulder would be fine, and the response seems to confirm it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
View detailed profiles of: