Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:42 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
Let's just all agree....Mayweather is an ubeatable beast in his weight class?

I get tired of taking peoples money every time they bet against the Pretty Boy.

and Bernard Hopkins.
i was not impressed by his performance...

now, had he took the high road, and knocked Ortiz out in a respectable manner, things would be different. unfortunately for Mayweather, this is all his doing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:29 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Just a hypothetical Coolhand; what do you think the public opinion would be had the roles been reversed and Floyd had been knocked out after headbutting Ortiz? I can respect people not liking Floyd's character, but to take anything away from him as a boxer is plain foolish. As he stated in the post match conference, any fight he is in is a lose-lose situation for him, as the public will always manage to scavenge a plethora of excuses as to why the fights turn out the way they do. Then again, at 42-0, the public's perception is likely the last thing Floyd has on his mind.

ps: What's up with the personal attacks on his bloodlines? A little ironic for you to be calling Floyd classless after a statement like that, don't you think?
This is a result of his own doing. He is the one who chooses to be arrogant and classless, so the public reacts in kind. Talent alone is not enough to win over fans. You want to burn $100 bills in the faces of hard working people in a slumping economy and then wonder why he "can't get a fair shake". He wants to play it safe fighting smaller and aging fighters...great, don't expect anyone to shower you with accolades when you look dominant against lesser opponents. You want to dodge the tough fights...no problem, just don't feel entitled to a P4P crown by the fans or the media.

As for his bloodlines remark...his drug dealing father was/is a lowlife, as is his crackhead uncle. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. He may not be as bad as they are, but he's still an arrogant little punk in and out of the ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Pure and utter nonsense. The catchweight for the JMM fight was 144lbs. He overshot it by 2lbs. (and had to pay $600k because of that). Now you're trying to say that he came in the ring at 159lbs?! BS! He doesn't even enter the ring that heavy for a 147lb. fight. Come on, dude, cut out the shenanigans.
Floyd refused to be weighed prior to entering the ring for the JMM fight. Look at them in the ring, he was clearly much bigger. JMM had to move up to make weight, Floyd had to dry out. That said, it doesn't always work in a fighters favor to come in heavier so it's six of one and half dozen of the other.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:22 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
I don't think I'd have as much a problem with it if it weren't for Mayweather's fight selection and his antics inside the ring. He also took a cheap shot on Sugar Shane last year when Shane attempted to touch gloves. I remember Shane looking at the ref like "WTF?" Yeah, the shots were legal, but it's poor sportsmanship.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
This is a result of his own doing. He is the one who chooses to be arrogant and classless, so the public reacts in kind. Talent alone is not enough to win over fans. You want to burn $100 bills in the faces of hard working people in a slumping economy and then wonder why he "can't get a fair shake". He wants to play it safe fighting smaller and aging fighters...great, don't expect anyone to shower you with accolades when you look dominant against lesser opponents. You want to dodge the tough fights...no problem, just don't feel entitled to a P4P crown by the fans or the media.

As for his bloodlines remark...his drug dealing father was/is a lowlife, as is his crackhead uncle. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. He may not be as bad as they are, but he's still an arrogant little punk in and out of the ring.

Floyd refused to be weighed prior to entering the ring for the JMM fight. Look at them in the ring, he was clearly much bigger. JMM had to move up to make weight, Floyd had to dry out. That said, it doesn't always work in a fighters favor to come in heavier so it's six of one and half dozen of the other.
Larry Merchant, is that you?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:08 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

Coolhand, as much as I respect your opinions on other matters, I will be honest and let you know that your rant is a pile of bullsh*t. As I stated in my earlier post, Floyd's antics and petulant attitude outside of the ring hold no bearing on his abilities inside the ring. If the illusion of all 42 of his opponents being older or smaller than he is helps you sleep at night, then all of the world to you. However, don't expect those of us who watch Floyd (and the sport of boxing) from an objective standpoint to buy your weak talking points. As an athlete, as a boxer, and as a champion, there are a select few in the boxing world who are or were at Floyd's level.

As for the bloodlines remark, I think its better to have a horrible father in your life, than to have no father at all. You don't see Mayweather's fans going after Ortiz's parents, who abandoned him as a child, and for good reasons as well. That is the epitome of class, not your weak strawman arguments aimed at trying to justify the personal vendetta you have against Floyd. Just remember though, his haters are his biggest fans

Old 09-21-2011, 12:44 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
As for the bloodlines remark, I think its better to have a horrible father in your life, than to have no father at all. You don't see Mayweather's fans going after Ortiz's parents, who abandoned him as a child, and for good reasons as well. That is the epitome of class, not your weak strawman arguments aimed at trying to justify the personal vendetta you have against Floyd. Just remember though, his haters are his biggest fans
i am not part of this conversation much really but i have to say this is one of the dumbest arguments/comments i have ever read. i am a member of a group called BACA, bikers against child abuse, and i would say this remark sure sounds like you have no idea what a horrible father is like. good for you in that case but your statement is ridiculous and crazy. millions of kids are brought up every day by horrible parents and would be better off without them in their lives.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:47 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times
Quote:
Coolhand, as much as I respect your opinions on other matters, I will be honest and let you know that your rant is a pile of bullsh*t. As I stated in my earlier post, Floyd's antics and petulant attitude outside of the ring hold no bearing on his abilities inside the ring. If the illusion of all 42 of his opponents being older or smaller than he is helps you sleep at night, then all of the world to you. However, don't expect those of us who watch Floyd (and the sport of boxing) from an objective standpoint to buy your weak talking points. As an athlete, as a boxer, and as a champion, there are a select few in the boxing world who are or were at Floyd's level.

"As I stated in my earlier post, Floyd's antics and petulant attitude outside of the ring hold no bearing on his abilities inside the ring."

-i don't believe he said that, coolhand's remarks were pointed at mayweather's feeling of not getting a "fair shake", and the overall public's opinion of him. in other words, he's got talent, but lacks in the class department...want to be the "bad guy", that's fine...just accept the role.

"As for the bloodlines remark, I think its better to have a horrible father in your life, than to have no father at all. You don't see Mayweather's fans going after Ortiz's parents, who abandoned him as a child, and for good reasons as well."

-really? and you find it necessary to "1 up" coolhand by an insult hurled at Ortiz?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
I'm amazed how many are up in arms over a "cheap shot" but no one cares about intentional headbutts. Ortiz played with fire and got burned. He learned his lesson.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:44 PM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think I'd have as much a problem with it if it weren't for Mayweather's fight selection and his antics inside the ring. He also took a cheap shot on Sugar Shane last year when Shane attempted to touch gloves. I remember Shane looking at the ref like "WTF?" Yeah, the shots were legal, but it's poor sportsmanship.
No, this revisionist history is inaccurate. Go back and look at round 8 again:
HBO Boxing: Mayweather vs. Mosley Highlights (HBO) - YouTube

After Kenny Bayless has given Mosley a hard warning for roughhouse tactics, Floyd DID cleanly touches gloves with him at @ the 3:10 mark. About 8-10 seconds after that Floyd is pushing Shane's glove away trying to restart the fight, but Shane seems more interested in having a conversation and he gets popped in the chops for it. The ring isn't a place to be having a debate....

Old 09-22-2011, 10:39 AM

149 posts, read 270,453 times
This was the funniest fight to me since the Tyson ear bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing