Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:17 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

It's about time these two matched up.

Floyd Mayweather announces May 5 fight with Miguel Cotto - News | FOX Sports on MSN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
This one is interesting at least. I like Cotto but I'm not sure how he'll do in this one. He better get to Mayweather early or I think he'll get picked apart over the rounds. I would love to see him win though.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:08 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,942 times
This could be a good fight. Here's the tale of the tape.
Mayweather & Cotto
34 Age 31
147 Weight 154
5’8” Height 5’7”
72” Reach 67”

I did not know that Mayweather was taller. My other concern is Cotto's follow through, he likes to watch himself a lot. Plus, Cotto's reach is a problem due to Mayweather's duck/dodge ability, that 5" reach disadvantage means he does have to take it inside. I am hoping for Cotto because he seems like a really nice guy, but I think the defensive minded Mayweather might be too much for him.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:49 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
As much as I liked Cotto against plasterman margarito, I don't see him winning this one by a long shot. Mayweather has way too much for Cotto to handle.

In terms of speed, reach, power, mobility, there's just no comparisson between the two. Cotto comes up short in all the previously mentioned categories. The only way Cotto will win this one is if Mayweather takes him utterly for granted, akin to the way Mike Tyson took Buster Douglas for granted. But, I don't see Mayweather doing that given his level of discipline.

This will be a great money fight for Cotto, and most likely, one of his last fights before a well deserved retirement.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:05 PM

164 posts, read 186,541 times
The one thing that Cotto has going for him is that he has an excellent jab. Unforunately, Mayweather's speed, reach, and precision make negate this aspect.

Cotto does fire shots in spurts however, and has good accuracy and fluid combinations, so perhaps even if his punches are not landing cleanly, his aggression will make an impact on the judges.

If I was Cotto, I would consider attempting to box on the outside with Mayweather initially utilizing the jab, and see if Mayweather will become more aggressive and open up.

When that fails, Cotto should try to use tactical aggression, coming from behind his jab, firing combinations and then stepping out.

If he utilizes this style, he could even win. It's doubtful though.

I think Alvarez, due to his size and strength, would probably be a more difficult opponent, although I wouldn't mind seeing Alvarez get more development before he takes on Mayweather.

On a side note, shame on Mayweather and Pacquiao for not making the fight.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:40 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Cotto's only chance to beat Mayweather will be to cut off the ring and apply constant pressure to Mayweather. He'll need to stalk him and force him to fight. He can't box him from the outside. If he follows Floyd in a circle all night while trying to lunge at him or jab from the outside he'll get pot-shotted all night. It's one of the things Floyd's opponents often fail to do against him, they don't cut off the ring, they just follow him in a circle like a bull to a matador.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:46 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Cotto's only chance in this fight is to go right after Floyd after the opening bell. He' needs just unleash/unload all he's got right away (i.e., Hagler/Hearns) and hope for a knockout. Otherwise, Floyd will pick him apart and win by a landslide.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 AM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Cotto's only chance in this fight is to go right after Floyd after the opening bell. He' needs just unleash/unload all he's got right away (i.e., Hagler/Hearns) and hope for a knockout. Otherwise, Floyd will pick him apart and win by a landslide.
That does make sense as Floyd is a notoriously slow starter. Even still,I don't think that Cotto will be able to stop him early. Mosley, who has faster hands and is a more devastating puncher, caught Floyd with a couple of fierce, clean shots and still couldn't put him down, let alone stop him. I see Floyd wearing Miguel down and scoring a late round stoppage.

Sent from my Mean Evo 3D using Tapatalk

Old 02-15-2012, 01:54 PM

164 posts, read 186,541 times
I disagree.

Cotto is smaller than Floyd. This will be evident on fight night.

If you look at Cotto's best assets, they are his mobility and his jab.

If anything, I think Cotto should look to make Floyd the aggressor, so Cotto can attempt to time Floyd and catch him with his jab, throw a combination, then move, rinse and repeat.

If Floyd doesn't play his game, then of course Cotto will have to pressure Floyd, but he still needs to utilize a similiar game plan.

A lot of lateral movement, utilization of his jab to a great degree, combination, then get out.

But I think it will be a mistake for Cotto to go right after Floyd as Floyd will counter Cotto repeatedly, catching him with hard punches on the way in.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:58 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Margarito ruined Cotto in their first fight and he hasn't been the same since. Mayweather will win easilly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing