Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:33 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,677 times

Advertisements

Most boxing fans will agree that Tim Bradley's win over Manny Pacquiao (MP) was nothing more than a generous gift to him. But now that MP has technically beaten Bradley a second consecutive time, what do you believe MP should do at this point of his career?

Personally, I'd love to see MP retire on the wind of this most recent victory. After all, what else is there for him to prove? MP has fought the best of the absolute best, and has practically beaten each and everyone of them. In addition, MP is beloved and idolized throughout the world. And not only that, but he's also to public service by his very own Filipino contestants.

If you believe MP shoud retire, please comment on why you believe he should.

If you believe the opposite, your opinion will be honored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 03:43 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Default He should retire

He would be well advised to retire. He's had a great career, and has nothing else to prove. He's a hall of fame fighter, and one of the greats in his class. I think he struggled to beat a heavily muscled but mediocre Bradley, and is on the tail end of his career. Fighting further, he risks getting another concussion, with doctors already concerned about his health. He's one shot away from accelerating his decline. Apparently, he's in desperate need for money.

I think he knows that he could never beat Floyd Mayweather, and this is why he demanded they split the purse 50-50. Absolutely absurd for him to demand the same percentage as the unbeaten Floyd, and I don't blame Floyd for telling him to go to hell. Making such a demand means that his advisers are absolute idiots, and are unknowing jeopardizing Manny's health to pad their wallets. Quite an insult to a great fighter like Floyd.

I have always held the belief that Manny could never beat Floyd. Floyd's too good. Floyd knows this, which is another reason why he's so insulted by the offer of this inferior fighter to split the purse 50-50. Manny has produced some great fights, but it's time for him to get the hell out before he's carried out.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:10 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,827 times
I'm not sure I buy this. At his prime Manny was lightening quick and a better puncher than Mayweather. The biggest difference I see is defense. Floyd's tough to hit and Manny not so much. As for a 50/50 split why shouldn't there be? Manny is the draw here. With that said, it's too late now. Both are past their prime and it would only be a fraction of the fight it could have been five years ago.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:38 PM

592 posts, read 802,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I'm not sure I buy this. At his prime Manny was lightening quick and a better puncher than Mayweather. The biggest difference I see is defense. Floyd's tough to hit and Manny not so much. As for a 50/50 split why shouldn't there be? Manny is the draw here. With that said, it's too late now. Both are past their prime and it would only be a fraction of the fight it could have been five years ago.
Manny is not the draw. Numbers don't lie.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:24 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Question: What's the 1st thing to go as a fighter ages? Power, Speed, Reflexes?

Answer: Speed & Reflexes!!! Power is always the last to go and only has a slight deterioration. See George Foreman. See Roy Jones (who nearly knocked out Joe Calzache). See Ali. Heck see any fighter.

So why does Manny not knock any one out? He still has speed. Reflexes are still there. But now lacks power because of age. Because he's nice. STERIODS PERIOD!!!

See Barry Bonds. See Football Players. See Lance Armstrong. Are people really that blind? Shane Mosely said Pacroid hit harder than anyone else. Bradley said his has good power. Rios - he hits hard. Has good power. But one punch knock out power of 150 pounders.

Straight fight...no drugs and Floyd would beat the crap out of Pacroid. 5 years ago or 5 days ago.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 PM

It's so funny how the media and HBO are continuing this narrative about Pacroid and his waning power, with age. Nothing about speed or reflexes. BUT LOST OF POWER. Sudden loss of power at the age of 34/35. Seriously. So he gained power as he moved up in weight and he's now lost power because of age and desire. NOT SPEED OR REFLEXES as he moved UP in Weight. As he got bigger. So he's just as quick and the reflexes are there, but the power has slipped..even though he is bigger. And Bradley is really a 140 pounder. PACROID can't knock him down but Ruslan can. Pacroid is off the roids but Floyd does not trust his team. They are all dirty. THIS IS WHY FLOYD WILL NOT FIGHT HIM. Floyd, who is older than Pacroid, and it is sometimes mentioned that Floyd's speed, footwork, or reflexes have slowed, but not his power. (Floyd actually hits pretty hard - ask Mosley who said Floyd and Canelo, 155lb hit the about the same). And speaking of Mosely, who was on steroids...what changed in his fight game after Steroids: POWER. The speed and reflexes were fathertime. Very Obvious with Mosely. So no Floyd will not fight this fake cheater, who is broke. Why? Floyd believes once a cheater always a cheater (out of the Arum camp). Also, he does not want to give Pacroid any financial help. The guy has serious debt issues and will not see any money from the fight this weekend. Pacroid has to fight 4 more times just pay off the debts.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 PM

Last comment: Anyone please name a current fighter (not associated with peds) who's punching power has waned with age. Just name one.

IF no one believes me , go back in time and listen to Liar-Lampley and Merchant on HBO commentary on older fights (past broadcasts) when an aging fighter is in the ring. I have watched boxing for years on HBO and have heard this statement over and over from Lampley, Emmanuel Stewart, Lampley, etc...that the 1st thing to go on a fighter is speed and reflexes. Punching Power (specifically) knock out power remains. Now a fighter may lose snap in their punch- i.e. speed, delivery, etc... but once heavy handed, always heavy handed. See George Foreman. The guy did not fight for years. But always hit like a mule. Mike Tyson was still registering knockouts.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
It's so funny how the media and HBO are continuing this narrative about Pacroid and his waning power, with age. Nothing about speed or reflexes. BUT LOST OF POWER. Sudden loss of power at the age of 34/35. Seriously. So he gained power as he moved up in weight and he's now lost power because of age and desire. NOT SPEED OR REFLEXES as he moved UP in Weight. As he got bigger. So he's just as quick and the reflexes are there, but the power has slipped..even though he is bigger. And Bradley is really a 140 pounder. PACROID can't knock him down but Ruslan can. Pacroid is off the roids but Floyd does not trust his team. They are all dirty. THIS IS WHY FLOYD WILL NOT FIGHT HIM. Floyd, who is older than Pacroid, and it is sometimes mentioned that Floyd's speed, footwork, or reflexes have slowed, but not his power. (Floyd actually hits pretty hard - ask Mosley who said Floyd and Canelo, 155lb hit the about the same). And speaking of Mosely, who was on steroids...what changed in his fight game after Steroids: POWER. The speed and reflexes were fathertime. Very Obvious with Mosely. So no Floyd will not fight this fake cheater, who is broke. Why? Floyd believes once a cheater always a cheater (out of the Arum camp). Also, he does not want to give Pacroid any financial help. The guy has serious debt issues and will not see any money from the fight this weekend. Pacroid has to fight 4 more times just pay off the debts.

I pretty much agree...except it's not that Mayweather doesn't want Pacman to make money. He doesn't want to do business with Bob Arum.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:14 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,010 times
As a floyd fan i would say floyd would win. but why hasn't he fought him! its insane! wtf floyd. just make the fight. its not about the money, or bob arum, or steroids. its about the legacy. people watch floyd because theywant to see him get beat. only the minority are fans. fight manny! it will easily get 2 plus million ppv buys. i dont see the problem. if his defense is weak and smaller why not fight him?

all this bs about about pacroid is a inferior fighter who got knock out therefore he is not worth it blah blah blah is crap. his resume is far better than most floyd opponents.

wtf man just make the fight happen idk if they are older now

Old 04-16-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
As a floyd fan i would say floyd would win. but why hasn't he fought him! its insane! wtf floyd. just make the fight. its not about the money, or bob arum, or steroids. its about the legacy. people watch floyd because theywant to see him get beat. only the minority are fans. fight manny! it will easily get 2 plus million ppv buys. i dont see the problem. if his defense is weak and smaller why not fight him?

all this bs about about pacroid is a inferior fighter who got knock out therefore he is not worth it blah blah blah is crap. his resume is far better than most floyd opponents.

wtf man just make the fight happen idk if they are older now
I want to see the fight too....but don't forget that Pacman has a boss who decides his fights. Bob Arum has not allowed Manny to fight Mayweather. In fact, instead of making the fight, they decided to sue Goldenboy and Mayweather for suggesting Pacman was on peds. So asking for drug testing that BOTH parties would be subject to a lawsuit? Needless to say, the lawsuit went nowhere and Pacman has since agreed to blood testing as Ariza is no longer in camp.

So now Floyd has to do business with a shady promoter, who was previously cheating him out of money, and tried to sue him....I don't blame Mayweather for being very demanding about this fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing