Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 12:30 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Mayweather got the cleaner punches in. Mayweather controlled the fight. Mayweather THREW MORE PUNCHES AND LANDED MORE!

Keep hating.. You saw what you wanted to see. Being aggressive while throwing less and getting hit more with clean punches does NOT win fights...
It's been well-established for almost 20 years now how Mayweather fights....not sure why they were expecting Ali vs Foreman, when the only possible outcomes were Floyd winning on points, or (slimmer chance) Paquiao winning by TKO. If you don't like Floyd's style why are you watching him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 12:32 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
Quote:
Here come the crying, complaining, and excuses begin. I think this was a lose lose fight for Mayweather to take. If he lost, everyone would claim that he was a fraud, but if he won, everyone would make excuses about why he didn't deserve too. Manny knew, heck everyone knew, how Floyd fights. Even while knowing that, we were told that Floyd was scared, was a cherry picking fraud, and Manny would knock him out...

Manny and, the trainer of the decade, Freddie both knew what to expect, saw blueprints from other fights where some had a little bit of success against Mayweather, and it was Manny and his trainer's job to overcome this. Cut off the ring. Be aggressive. TKO Floyd... He failed to do so like so many other fighters have in the past.
The fight results were as I and others predicted.

There were no surprises.

mayweather won exactly as he's won his last 9 or 10 fights . . . by decision.

As a paying fanatic I have the right to express my opinion which is . . . I paid for a fight whose outcome was certain: a lackluster predictable decision win for mayweather.

Fortunately, regardless of the predictable outcome, I had a good time with family and friends. I have no qualms about paying $100 to see Manny try to make a runner fight.

Lastly, I'm old enough to recall days when fighters were admonished and even have points deducted for "lack of action;" a time when fighters were required to fight, not run. Referee Mills Lane was great at that. Now a days, a fighter can get on his skateboard and call it a night by the 12th.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:33 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It's been well-established for almost 20 years now how Mayweather fights....not sure why they were expecting Ali vs Foreman, when the only possible outcomes were Floyd winning on points, or (slimmer chance) Paquiao winning by TKO.
I agree AND I'd like to add they knew how Floyd was going to fight before going to it and while training, and Manny looked worse than some of Floyds other recent opponent. If Manny wasn't able to catch Floyd, cut off the ring, or make Floyd fight his fight, then that's Manny's failure.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:36 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

There were no surprises.

As a paying fanatic I have the right to express my opinion which is . . . I paid for a fight whose outcome was certain: a lackluster predictable decision win for mayweather.

Fortunately, regardless of the predictable outcome, I had a good time with family and friends. I have no qualms about paying $100 to see Manny try to make a runner fight.

Lastly, I'm old enough to recall days when fighters were admonished and even have points deducted for "lack of action;" a time when fighters were required to fight, not run. Referee Mills Lane was great at that. Now a days, a fighter can get on his skateboard and call it a night by the 12th.
I get it. You want a toe to toe slug match instead of a boxing match. You're upset because Floyd threw a punch and didn't stand flat footed waiting for the favor to be returned? You wanted to see a street brawl instead of a boxing match.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:37 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

There were no surprises.

good post, most of family felt the same way and they are not boxing fans.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:38 AM

564 posts, read 747,445 times
Well, we could make the argument that if Pacquiao decided to fight like Mayweather we would just have two guys trying to avoid getting close to each other, which would mean we would have no fight.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:44 AM

564 posts, read 747,445 times
Quote:
I get it. You want a toe to toe slug match instead of a boxing match. You're upset because Floyd threw a punch and didn't stand flat footed waiting for the favor to be returned? You wanted to see a street brawl instead of a boxing match.
I disagree with you, defense is obviously important and well appreciated, but this guy just kept running away from his opponent. No one wants a street brawl but no one wants to see a boring fight when one of the fighters keeps avoiding the fight, particularly when he's the champion, and like has been mentioned, with such a big reach advantage. Mayweather should be the one chasing Pacquiao, not the other way.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:44 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
mayweather style....throw a jab.....hold and run.....throw a jab or 2 and hold or run.......and the mayweather bandwagon say that is great....lol

Old 05-03-2015, 01:06 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
I didn't care who was going to win.

I just wanted to see a TKO.

This was supposed to be the fight of the century. It was freaking boring. At least Ali knocked fraser out in the end after he tired him out.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:08 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
Quote:
Pfft!

No more needs to be said. Manny lost and mayweather won as expected.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing