Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 02:20 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times

Advertisements

I have been following boxing for years, and now it's time for new faces.

I think the next great fighter will be US Olympian Karlos Balderas. He is a lightweight and has the chance to be like Oscar DeLaHoya, a multiple weight class champion. He is currently 6 and 0 with 5 knockouts. You may not have heard of him yet, but you will!! He has that IT factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 11:19 PM

36 posts, read 79,788 times
Aaron McKenna from Ireland. He's 19 and has a high ceiling.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:20 AM

412 posts, read 302,199 times
Devin Haney is 19 years old, looking good. LOT of 25+ years old talents in boxing

Old 08-30-2018, 02:58 AM

609 posts, read 350,005 times
Default Who knows

Boxing is my favorite. I don't know if there are enough up and comers to save the sport. I say that for many reasons, but i will highlight one reason, wilder is a pathetic boxer who is excelling in this era because there is anlack of competition. Image him with Foreman, Tyson, Ali, Norton, Lewis, etc...geesh he would get ripped apart in the first round. Ok I digress, to the question, Efe Ajagba is getting pub because his opponent left the ring, besides that he was getting some attention for his power. We should consider checking him out

Old 08-30-2018, 10:11 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _jbub88_ View Post
Boxing is my favorite. I don't know if there are enough up and comers to save the sport. I say that for many reasons, but i will highlight one reason, wilder is a pathetic boxer who is excelling in this era because there is anlack of competition. Image him with Foreman, Tyson, Ali, Norton, Lewis, etc...geesh he would get ripped apart in the first round. Ok I digress, to the question, Efe Ajagba is getting pub because his opponent left the ring, besides that he was getting some attention for his power. We should consider checking him out
I disagree.

I think Wilder is one the best punchers of all time and is highly underrated. Wilder vs Fury is the best puncher in the division vs the best boxer in the division.

I wish Fury would have had one more fight first before jumping into the ring with Wilder, but he looked calm and easy in his last fight, so this one should be competitive.

I don't understand the Wilder hate. He's knocked out every single man he's ever hard a fight with. What else do people want?

Old 12-06-2018, 12:36 PM

Has anyone heard of some kid named Teofimo Lopez? He too is a prospect, but he thinks he is better than he really is.

He wasn't good enough to make the USA Olympic team so he fought for his Dad's country of Honduras which I believe he was there only fighter, he got knockout of the competition in his first fight.

But he can say he was an Olympian... I guess.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:28 AM

4,865 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _jbub88_ View Post

I agree with your take on Wilder. Compared to the past greats when boxing was a hot sport with many of the best athletes being in it, Wilder would be destroyed.

Right now with the popularity of UFC, the boxing world depending on Pay-Per-View and leaving most of the moderate viewing fans and potential boxing fans out in the cold, I think boxing is positioning itself more and more as a minor sport (think Lacrosse).

To get this sport back in the limelight the various boxing bodies better come together and get back to just one governing body. Thus, just ONE champion in each weight class.

I love boxing, but I barely follow it any more. I'm not alone in my failure to follow it due to the corruption and politics. Most newspapers don't even print anything about a "big" match. Example being the Fury/Wilder match. No hype before and no results after. When Forman, Tyson, Ali, Frazier, etc.. were fighting it was all over the sports pages and would often be on page 1.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:14 PM

502 posts, read 392,031 times
Boxing is actually still fairly popular and is doing pretty well these last couple of years, some may say even better than UFC.

I think what hurts boxing is that it's just not seen as something trendy right now and its especially not very popular with mainstream white Americans.

That being said I think Ryan Garcia has a pretty bright future ahead of him along with Shakur Stevenson.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Boxing is actually still fairly popular and is doing pretty well these last couple of years, some may say even better than UFC.

I think what hurts boxing is that it's just not seen as something trendy right now and its especially not very popular with mainstream white Americans.

That being said I think Ryan Garcia has a pretty bright future ahead of him along with Shakur Stevenson.
Ryan Garcia is pretty fast, but he didn't impress me in his fight against Carlos Morales, there was a lot of holding. But he won his first fight with his new corner and I do think he is an up and comer.

I can't wait till this group of prospects get more fight under their belts like Haney, Garcia, Teofimo Lopez, Shakur Stevenson and last but not least US Olympian Karlos Balderas is the class of the lightweight group IMO.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:13 PM

502 posts, read 392,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Ryan Garcia is pretty fast, but he didn't impress me in his fight against Carlos Morales, there was a lot of holding. But he won his first fight with his new corner and I do think he is an up and comer.

I can't wait till this group of prospects get more fight under their belts like Haney, Garcia, Teofimo Lopez, Shakur Stevenson and last but not least US Olympian Karlos Balderas is the class of the lightweight group IMO.
Definitely, I think a fight between teofimo and Shakur would be pretty good. Have you seen Mario Barrios fight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing