Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:00 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Fighting on the star, Manny Pacquiao showed once again why he is the star.

With the biggest fight crowd in the U.S. in 17 years cheering him on at Cowboys Stadium, Pacquiao dominated a strangely passive Joshua Clottey from the opening bell Saturday night to retain his welterweight title and cement his status as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

The fight wasn't close, and it was never in doubt. It was so one-sided that those in the cheap seats among the crowd of 50,994 could tell without even looking at the giant video screens over the ring that Pacquiao was in total command.

Manny Pacquiao overwhelms Joshua Clottey, wins unanimous decision - ESPN
50,994 fans came to see the fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 11:26 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
Clottey great at looking chisled and menancing, but lethargic when matched against busy Pacman. I didn't see the fight, but it seems like Pacman beat a punching bag. Just a workout for him. Clottey should be ashamed of himself for such a non-effort.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:33 AM

80 posts, read 156,005 times
Pacman is such a beast. Clottey was way too busy defending himself, but he had several good nicks at manny's chin.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:55 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,085,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
50,994 fans came to see the fight.
i am kind of disappointed by this, the nba all star game had 108k in the same building, opening day of football season, the cowboys had 105k in that building.

obviously had it been pacman vs motormouth they would have had more but i dont see a boxing match reaching the 100k mark.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:57 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,912 times
Like I said, Clotty is a good fighter but does not have the mental toughness to hang in the same league as Pac and/or Mayweather.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i am kind of disappointed by this, the nba all star game had 108k in the same building, opening day of football season, the cowboys had 105k in that building.

obviously had it been pacman vs motormouth they would have had more but i dont see a boxing match reaching the 100k mark.
boxing is not what it was 20 years ago, it has lost alot of fans.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,777,431 times
I watched the fight and it was obvious Clottey was fighting scared. He didn't want to throw punches because that would leave him open. Instead, he was content to cover up and let Manny tee off on his arms, body, and gloves for 12 rounds. Had Clottey used the uppercut more he could have opened up some opportunities, but Manny's speed was too much for him.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:42 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,403,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I watched the fight and it was obvious Clottey was fighting scared. He didn't want to throw punches because that would leave him open. Instead, he was content to cover up and let Manny tee off on his arms, body, and gloves for 12 rounds. Had Clottey used the uppercut more he could have opened up some opportunities, but Manny's speed was too much for him.
I agree, and I would add that if Manny had a bigger shot, Clottey would have had to dive into the canvas. I expected much more from Clottey. Three million dollars to just try to survive?! In a different era, this fight would be seen as a travesty, it would have been a scandal that would have left Clottey discredited for the rest of his career. But instead, he puts the 3 mill in his pocket, takes a long vacation, and comes back to fight another day, all is forgotten and forgiven. I in no way am taking ANYTHING away from Manny. He is a real fighter and would have been in any era. I love his speed, his angles, his workrate, his footwork, this guy, when he has an actual OPPONENT is a joy to watch!

Tell me I'm wrong fellas; but it's hard to be a fight fan these days.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:09 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,085,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
boxing is not what it was 20 years ago, it has lost alot of fans.
i agree, it is really not even what it was 10-15 yrs ago. i would say i dont think julio c chavez sells 132K seats if he was in his prime today.
there are a lot of factors though, TV being the biggest, back 20 yrs ago, PPV was all but none existent.
the fans are not what they used to be, but i would have expected more in that stadium. at least they didnt go nuts and over buy seats.

they need to come off that PPV price these days too, that might just help boost ratings. sell 500k at $50, or sell 1m at $35?

Old 03-14-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i agree, it is really not even what it was 10-15 yrs ago. i would say i dont think julio c chavez sells 132K seats if he was in his prime today.
there are a lot of factors though, TV being the biggest, back 20 yrs ago, PPV was all but none existent.
the fans are not what they used to be, but i would have expected more in that stadium. at least they didnt go nuts and over buy seats.

they need to come off that PPV price these days too, that might just help boost ratings. sell 500k at $50, or sell 1m at $35?
totally agreed, i heard the PPV price was almost 60!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing