Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2010, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,590 times

Advertisements

I need a bit of guidance...my wife and I are strongly considering a move to Bozeman. She has an amazing job opportunity in Montana and the location is pretty loose--it just needs to be one of the "resort" areas. I'm looking for a job up there and would like to find one before we make the move, but I know that's tough in these times and jobs are more scarce up there. I'm in sales so I'm pretty flexible, though.

My questions are: what neighborhoods in Bozeman would be good for the best elementary schools and family-friendly? We have two kids; one's in preschool and the other is 18 months, and two dogs. Ideally we would like to buy a house right away but would be okay with renting for the first 6 months to a year to make sure we find the right fit. We're also open to Belgrade for a cheaper housing option but are not sure about the schools there.

Also wondering if anyone has recommendations for a good family church. We attend a Berean church here in Lincoln but are non-denominational for the most part...Baptist is a little too "extreme" for us and Methodist not quite "extreme" enough. I've heard good things about Grace Bible Church--does anyone know about it?

Also, does anyone know of any good job resources? I have had a couple of interviews with one particular place and it seems like a good option, but it's all commission and with a big move like this coming up I'm wondering if something more stable might be the answer. I've been using a staffing agency, checking the state job service, and utilizing the Bozeman Daily Chronicle and other online job posting sites as well.

We currently live in Lincoln, Nebraska, and are not intimidated by cold weather. I know Montana is going to be colder and snowier, but we really love that kind of weather and are excited about all the outdoor activities in both winter and summer that Bozeman has to offer. We are a very active family and living closer to the mountains is something we've wanted for a long time.

Any help or advice anyone is able to offer would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 12:17 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
Hello and welcome to the board
Here is an older thread to get you started. If you put Bozeman in the search you will get many others.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/monta...hese-days.html

Old 12-24-2010, 04:33 PM

475 posts, read 1,499,127 times
First off, let me welcome you to Bozeman! It is a wonderful place to live and a great place to raise a family. There are always fun, family-friendly events and there is an amazing sense of community.

As far as elementary schools, you really can't go wrong with any of the elementary schools in Bozeman. I work closely with the Bozeman School District and am frequently in all seven of the elementary schools. All of them have great staff and I don't think you can go wrong with any of the schools. However, if you are looking for a family-friendly neighborhood, the southeast side of town near Morning Star School is best. There are very nice houses in this area and I believe that there are several on the market right now. Morning Star School has some amazing teachers and the principal is extremely supportive. There was recently an article in the Bozeman Daily Chronicle about Morning Star School and their high academic success. Here is the link:

Bozeman

Another wonderful thing about the schools in Bozeman are the after school programs that available. If both you and your wife are working, these might be helpful. The fees are very minimal, but if your family cannot afford them, there are full and partial scholarships available to anyone who needs them. Belgrade and many of the surrounding area have similar after school programs.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you much advice on the jobs available. Hopefully there will be more jobs available beginning the new year.

I hope that this has been some help to you. Best of luck with your move and I hope you find the right neighborhood and school for your family.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:32 PM

475 posts, read 1,499,127 times
This message was posted by my daughter Shannon, who has spent the past 11 months working as an AmeriCorp Vista with the Gallatin County United Way; specifically with the schools county wide.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:22 AM

Aww that is so nice, we all remember your folk's worries about your move, happy holidays!
From your foster parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
This message was posted by my daughter Shannon, who has spent the past 11 months working as an AmeriCorp Vista with the Gallatin County United Way; specifically with the schools county wide.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,590 times
Thank you for the help! We had been looking at Morning Star and thought it was probably the best bet...now we'll just have to see if I can find a job that will afford us to move into that neighborhood.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:54 PM

Good to hear from you, let us know how it is going, drop by the let's visit thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman