Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 7,534 times

Advertisements

Cocoa Beach is Beautiful all year around! There is a very low crime rate, The beaches are Gorgeous and the fishing is great in the lakes and ocean.
I work for ADVANCED TREE EXPERTS in the phone book and see manatees, dolphins, and all kind of beautiful tropical plants and trees all day!
You'll love it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 09:19 AM

16 posts, read 31,813 times
I was a bit disappointed reading this thread especially the posts from 2010 but I wonder if part of the problem then was that you hadn't recovered from the housing collapse. It is now July 2016 and I am seriously considering a retirement move to Cocoa Beach FL but this line of postings makes me a little apprehensive. I am 55 and white and single so maybe I fit that negative stereotype that I saw the young ones complaining about and maybe it will be perfect for me.

I am also thinking of starting a small business there and wonder what you feel is sorely needed there and if you don't mind expounding, what you don't need more of? I was born in 1961 so i pretty much grew up a Space Program kid and have dreamed my whole life of moving close to NASA Cape Canaveral, I am disappointed that it is not what it once was there for launchings but I still think I want to try life there.

Some of my biggest concerns are: insect problems (I am in CO where we are mostly insect free due to lack of humidity), intolerable heat without a breeze off the ocean, and violent crime, and Pet (outdoor dog) friendly environment there. I'd be happy to hear any comments or responses negative or positive about the area and responding to some or all of my questions.

If you have an oceanfront condo, 1 or 2 bedroom, with ocean facing views to the north or northwest, and are looking to sell, I might also want to talk to someone about that, however keep in mind my spending budget is under 250K.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:14 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,684,176 times
I think some things have changed since 2010. The economy has taken a more positive turn. Jobs are more prevalent and the real estate market has corrected itself. Back then, foreclosures and short sales where the norm. Now most sales are of the more traditional variety. The beaches are still clean, there are non-corporate restaurants and I still look forward as soon as I leave the area on a visit to thinking when I can come back.

I can't really make a comment on what small business would be good there since I am not a full timer (yet). But there seems to be a shortage of good and reliable tradesmen. Can you paint, plumb, garden, or general handyman that will actually return a phone call? That for me is what I am looking for for my rental properties. I waited 1 month and still never got a return call for a lawn care company in Palm Bay (tried a dozen).

If you are willing to rent, feel free to DM me. I have a condo coming up end of Sept. that should be available. Direct oceanfront 3 bed, 2 bath.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:00 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverfromHays View Post
I was born in 1961 so i pretty much grew up a Space Program kid and have dreamed my whole life of moving close to NASA Cape Canaveral, I am disappointed that it is not what it once was there for launchings but I still think I want to try life there.

Some of my biggest concerns are: insect problems (I am in CO where we are mostly insect free due to lack of humidity), intolerable heat without a breeze off the ocean, and violent crime, and Pet (outdoor dog) friendly environment there. I'd be happy to hear any comments or responses negative or positive about the area and responding to some or all of my questions.
I don't remember how many launches were taking place in the 60s but we are seeing close to 30 launches this year. Another 15 scheduled between now and the end of the year. Add in two new rocket companies at the Cape and the extra excitement of vertical landings of the first stages and the accompanying sonic boom and it's a great time for space buffs living here.

You're gonna have to look really hard to find violent crime in Cocoa Beach. Your flip flops might get pilfered if you leave them at a busy boardwalk but it's about as safe a town as you're likely to find. As long as you're beachfront, insects are not a problem except for the May and August lovebug hatches. There are some mosquitoes and no-see-ums along the river but they don't make it over to the beach. Your dog can't go on the beach unless you know which beaches/times you can get away with it. Hint: there are several

Old 06-18-2017, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,776 times
Anyone have info on where to look for single family homes to rent with good elementary schools? My husband may get transferred here and our credit is not good so i dont want to live in a hotel forever

Old 06-18-2017, 07:01 PM

210 posts, read 277,418 times
The best thing to do when your credit is lower and you're looking to rent is to drive around looking for signs. The people who list on the MLS tend to have more strict rental requirements.
Prior to paying any application fee it is a good idea to disclose to the owner the things that may be negatives, as well as your positive traits to get an idea if they think it might work. Otherwise, you may spend a lot of money on applications for places that you never had a chance to get.
There are also a few Brevard County Rental Groups on Facebook where properties are occasionally listed.
There are school ratings on here & and there are several other sites if you google "Brevard County School Ratings"
Good luck!

Old 06-18-2017, 09:50 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,684,176 times
As mentioned above, bad credit will likely remove you from consideration for most rentals listed by a realtor. Supply is low, demand high and owners can be more picky.
It is a very expensive risk if the tenant ends up breaking a lease or is forced out via eviction. So much needs to get done to make the rental presentable again when this happens. Better credit tends to just be less risky and when the market conditions are the way they are now, there is a big pool of perspective renters to choose from.
So, your best bet is try a rental by owner and expect to put down at least two months rent up front plus security deposit, plus application fee. You will also likely have a better chance if you have no pets and both of you have steady work.
Good luck as it is a competitive market now.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,762 times
I like the beautiful coastline in the south of the United States, when the most time I will visit

Old 06-19-2017, 12:36 PM

370 posts, read 903,497 times
I had similar contempt for the last place I lived. You know what I did? I left there and I'm much happier now. Most problems have solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfawkes1314 View Post
I'm new to the Cocoa Beach area, and I feel a supreme sense of responsibility to anyone thinking of moving here to say that this area lacks altogether any drive or capacity to work together let alone a sense of community. I've found most people to be rude and intolerant, sheltered and severely right-wing. The economy is terribly depressed and finding a job here is next to impossible. If I were a tourist who had never been to Cocoa Beach I would be disappointed. Although the beaches are astonishingly beautiful, the area itself is not much to look at. Even the historic Cocoa Village across the causeway was a let down - a few cool places like Lea's Bistro and a few bars and bakeries, but overall it's mostly middle aged women trying to sell tacky junk and pawning it all off as "antique." For such a geographically unique area I expected. . .something more. I expected great places for young people to have fun, good places to eat and lots of stuff to do. Instead, Cocoa Beach and the surrounding areas have offered little more than the most inconsiderate drivers I've ever had the displeasure of sharing the road with and a lot of extra time to catch up on my Netflix "watch instantly" queue. I'm out of here as soon as my lease is up next year. Maybe it's just me, but I can't handle driving behind one more Jesus fish bumper sticker. I suppose I should say that if you're over 55, republican, retired, hate to use your turn signals, love chain restaurants and corporate monkeys who even had the audacity to take over the country's most famous surf shop, have less than eight teeth and an incomprehensible accent, and you dislike the faintest architectural character perhaps you'll love it here. I certainly don't. I am being harsh, but it seems most of the areas problems are left unsaid in light of its beautiful scenery. This is the only place I've lived and seen dolphins and manatees on my drive to work, but Cocoa Beach is not for everyone.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:43 AM

17 posts, read 34,943 times
My husband is most likely getting transferred to the Orlando area from Dallas. What is the feasibility of living in Cocoa Beach and commuting 3-4 weekdays to Orlando? We love Dallas, but if we have to move, I'm excited about trying a totally new living experience and atmosphere, outside of a major city. We will have a 5th grader and a 10th grader, so schools are very important as well. Thank you so much for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County