Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 39,324 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Atlanta (Dunwoody) and we're thinking about moving to Cocoa Beach. We're originally from Miami, so we know the good, the bad and the ugly in South FL. The IB program and good ranking of the Jr./Sr. High School is a big motivator - I have a 7th and an 8th grader. I really need some insight from folks who live or have lived in Cocoa Beach, prefereably with kids. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 06:01 PM

17 posts, read 87,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom22gr8kids View Post
I currently live in Atlanta (Dunwoody) and we're thinking about moving to Cocoa Beach. We're originally from Miami, so we know the good, the bad and the ugly in South FL. The IB program and good ranking of the Jr./Sr. High School is a big motivator - I have a 7th and an 8th grader. I really need some insight from folks who live or have lived in Cocoa Beach, prefereably with kids. Thanks!!!
I was born down the road from Cocoa Beach and have visited probably twice a year since birth. My brother has lived there 10+ years. I have 2 young boys and we are also planning a move from suburban VA to the area. I suggest you check out www.viera.com, which is a master-planned community over the causeway (West of I-95). Everything is brand-new, including the schools. It's a great time to buy a home down there -- LOTS of stuff on the market. I love Cocoa Beach but it would be a big transition for someone who's used to the suburbs of Atlanta. Good Luck!

Old 07-25-2007, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 27,425 times
Thumbs up Moving to Cocoa Beach...from Atlanta. We did it !!!

We love it here. We were transferred to Fla., my husband's office is in Orlando. We took two months reseraching the area checking out the schools and such. We were not happy with what we were finding in the Orlando area, untill we started checking out the schools and the area of the space coast especially Cocoa Beach and Merritt Island. For us, with our son coming from a small private school in north metro atlanta, we found Cocoa Beach Jr/Sr High. It is a small school with Big opportunities. Cocoa Beach Jr/Sr High is ranked 15th. of all Fla. schools. and has a small student teacher ratio. There is the best of both worlds here. Small town / old Fla. and just a few mile from the main land where you can find everything, we could find in Atlanta w/ out all the "stuff". We only miss our friends and family but, we love the Cape Cananveral, Cocoa Beach areas, the beaches are nice and not over runned with tourist like most coastal towns. Come on down.... you'll love it too! Good Luck!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:30 PM

32 posts, read 183,688 times
We did it too. Although I was originally from Cocoa Beach, I never expected to come back. We lived in intown Atlanta and would visit CB in the summer. We were impressed by the schools --especially the IB program at Freedom 7 and CBHS. In Atlanta, the schools at the middle and high school level were not what we wanted for our kids.

We also liked that the kids could ride bikes on the bike paths in CB-- in Atlanta, I would never let them out of the cul-de-sac because of the traffic. In Cocoa Beach, they can fish, go to the beach, and swim in the backyard. Yes, I miss having Whole Foods, tons of great restaurants and other shopping nearby, but I did not spend much time shopping anyway. I miss my neigborhood friends and activities, but there are lots of activities here.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:13 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,661,874 times
I know a couple who live in Cocoa, just outside of Cocoa Beach and love it!
Mid twenties and both have found jobs making great money. They both werre from here in Ohio and fell in love with Cocoa on their honeymoon a couple years ago and decided then to move once they had some money put back. They saved up some money, looked for jobs and now have bought their first house. They tell me they are very happy ! He worked under me as a summer college student and has a bright future ahead of him.

We love the Holiday Inn in Cocoa Beach.. many good memories there.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 24,711 times
I'm new to the Cocoa Beach area, and I feel a supreme sense of responsibility to anyone thinking of moving here to say that this area lacks altogether any drive or capacity to work together let alone a sense of community. I've found most people to be rude and intolerant, sheltered and severely right-wing. The economy is terribly depressed and finding a job here is next to impossible. If I were a tourist who had never been to Cocoa Beach I would be disappointed. Although the beaches are astonishingly beautiful, the area itself is not much to look at. Even the historic Cocoa Village across the causeway was a let down - a few cool places like Lea's Bistro and a few bars and bakeries, but overall it's mostly middle aged women trying to sell tacky junk and pawning it all off as "antique." For such a geographically unique area I expected. . .something more. I expected great places for young people to have fun, good places to eat and lots of stuff to do. Instead, Cocoa Beach and the surrounding areas have offered little more than the most inconsiderate drivers I've ever had the displeasure of sharing the road with and a lot of extra time to catch up on my Netflix "watch instantly" queue. I'm out of here as soon as my lease is up next year. Maybe it's just me, but I can't handle driving behind one more Jesus fish bumper sticker. I suppose I should say that if you're over 55, republican, retired, hate to use your turn signals, love chain restaurants and corporate monkeys who even had the audacity to take over the country's most famous surf shop, have less than eight teeth and an incomprehensible accent, and you dislike the faintest architectural character perhaps you'll love it here. I certainly don't. I am being harsh, but it seems most of the areas problems are left unsaid in light of its beautiful scenery. This is the only place I've lived and seen dolphins and manatees on my drive to work, but Cocoa Beach is not for everyone.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:29 PM

263 posts, read 889,563 times
Default ^^^

This post is incredibly insulting! Myself and my husband, both college educated, 30 year old democrats, with all of our teeth happen to love it there. Did you visit the pier? There are at least two 4 non chain food places there, and the place is a local legend. Everyone, in every place, we went there last week was incredibly friendly, happy, and accomodating.

There are some amazing restaurants there, and lots to do. Many parks, miniature golf, the space center, nature preserves, cool bars (the Sunset Cafe comes to mind), a nice zoo not very far away, I could go on and on. Maybe you were thinking of Cocoa instead?? This is an old post, but I didn't want your reply to put off any nice people thinking of relocating there.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:40 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggums View Post
This post is incredibly insulting! Myself and my husband, both college educated, 30 year old democrats, with all of our teeth happen to love it there. Did you visit the pier? There are at least two 4 non chain food places there, and the place is a local legend. Everyone, in every place, we went there last week was incredibly friendly, happy, and accomodating.

There are some amazing restaurants there, and lots to do. Many parks, miniature golf, the space center, nature preserves, cool bars (the Sunset Cafe comes to mind), a nice zoo not very far away, I could go on and on. Maybe you were thinking of Cocoa instead?? This is an old post, but I didn't want your reply to put off any nice people thinking of relocating there.
And I will second everything you just said even though I don't live in Cocoa Beach, but it is a great place. The high school is top rated. The space coast has all kinds of festivals all year long and things to keep anyone who likes to get out of their houses busy. This area is family oriented so a lot of our activities have to do with kids, schools, and sports. Surfing is high sport here and there are several major surf contests and lots of cool shops.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:54 PM

110 posts, read 550,092 times
Talking Another Cocoa Beach Defender

As the expression suggests; if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all..... The poster is condemning Cocoa Beach in it's entirety. Must not be a good stage of life. I have in different places in the US including New Jersey/New York, Chicago, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island & Tennessee. I've also visited 40 states. Each one them had some special charms and were a learning experience. I would never wholly disparage any area in the country.

We chose Cocoa Beach for our ocean side getaways. Prices on real estate are more moderate than other Florida coastal areas. South Cocoa beach in general is sparsely populated and you almost feel like you have a private beach. Yes Florida has it's economic problems. I would never move anywhere without a well paying stable job. I love the beautiful beaches, Banana River, Thousand Islands Kayaking, Nature Preserves, proximity of Orlando and the thrill of watching a rocket launch from your balcony. The school system is good with the influence of those NASA engineers. I agree that the restaurant situation could be improved. There are some better places popping up such as the Fat Snook and Pompano Grill.

When I retire later, I plan to be a proud snowbird. I promise that when the time comes and I am driving down Atlantic Avenue, I'll use my blinker

Old 05-13-2010, 06:17 AM

104 posts, read 832,812 times
We lived there 10 years ago for 2 years. Ds went to the elementary school right outside the base and we had no problems with it. Loved the fishing. Loved going to the beach any time we wanted. Loved traveling to other places in FL. Loved going to Orlando to Disney World. Loved seeing dolphins and manatees. We loved the zoo there went often. Enjoyed seeing the shuttles going up.

About what the other poster was saying. There are a lot of older people there. And they aren't nice old people either. We didn't make any good friends while there either. Being military we have moved around a lot. Some of where you are is what you make of it. There is good and bad with every place. If you plan on buying a house. You should check into the insurance and taxes. If I'm not mistaking it is kind of high there. Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County