Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 PM

6 posts, read 11,592 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in a cute little subdivision called Whisperwoods. There have been a few houses for sale over the years; it is a small neighborhood and well-maintained.

I have two small concerns:
1. Resale-we do not plan on holding this house forever due to the nature of our jobs and are afraid to be stuck like so many are right now
2. Schools-we have no children, but this neighborhood is *just* barely inside University Elementary and Stone Middle School's borders. We don't have kids but are afraid future families would not buy something that is districted for Stone considering the homes are about 160-170k average there.

Honest thoughts on this neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 PM

4 posts, read 21,410 times
You are wise. Your concerns are very on target

Old 09-24-2011, 07:32 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousDays View Post
You are wise. Your concerns are very on target
+1

Given your statement on your jobs...you should not consider buying in ANY neighborhood unless the cost of the house is easily something you could dispose of & requires no financing. Considering most people who have "jobs" (i.e. not independently wealthy) require some level of financing...I would think you should be renting for the foreseeable future unless you are ok with eating AT LEAST 20-25% of the price of that home.

Just selling the home will cost you 10-12% alone in realtor fees & closing costs which will likely include the buyer's as its a tough market to sell in...not to mention another 10-15% in potential deflation of the house if the market does not improve. And considering the schools you mentioned...you may not find a buyer with interest at all.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:46 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,180,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJW5021 View Post
I'm interested in a cute little subdivision called Whisperwoods. There have been a few houses for sale over the years; it is a small neighborhood and well-maintained.

I have two small concerns:
1. Resale-we do not plan on holding this house forever due to the nature of our jobs and are afraid to be stuck like so many are right now
2. Schools-we have no children, but this neighborhood is *just* barely inside University Elementary and Stone Middle School's borders. We don't have kids but are afraid future families would not buy something that is districted for Stone considering the homes are about 160-170k average there.

Honest thoughts on this neighborhood?
That is a nice little sub division.

As for buying...how long do you think you will be living in the house. Paying $12000 or more a year to rent a 3 bedroom in a nicer area of homes for 10 years does add up to owning nothing.

As for the school districts. It has not seemed to keep buyers away from that neighborhood in the past. There are other options for schools besides University and Stone like church schools, private schools, charter schools and even using school choice and driving kids to any school not closed to transfers. I am not that familiar with University but there are several good neighborhoods of newer homes located near FIT and Dairy Road . The couple of teachers that I know that work there are excellent. My sons went to Stone and Palm Bay High and graduated with honors with high ACT/SAT scores then went on to college and made the Collegiate National Honor Society so they did just fine.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
That is a nice little sub division.

As for buying...how long do you think you will be living in the house. Paying $12000 or more a year to rent a 3 bedroom in a nicer area of homes for 10 years does add up to owning nothing.

As for the school districts. It has not seemed to keep buyers away from that neighborhood in the past. There are other options for schools besides University and Stone like church schools, private schools, charter schools and even using school choice and driving kids to any school not closed to transfers. I am not that familiar with University but there are several good neighborhoods of newer homes located near FIT and Dairy Road . The couple of teachers that I know that work there are excellent. My sons went to Stone and Palm Bay High and graduated with honors with high ACT/SAT scores then went on to college and made the Collegiate National Honor Society so they did just fine.
^^^ I agree. The ratio to buy vs. rent moves into favorable for buying after the 5 year mark in most cases. Most agree that the market here has bottomed out and the aging US population in the colder climates that's retiring/downsizing over the next decade or so will be looking for retirement homes in Florida just as it's been the case for the past generation or two. While schools are important for some it's not the case for everyone. If it's a stable, established neighborhood with well kept homes (and few if any renters) it sounds like a good buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County