Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:30 PM

44 posts, read 180,114 times

Advertisements

I read recently they are widening N. Wickham. Is this going to alleviate the problem you described above or is this project something separate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 12:39 AM

585 posts, read 1,087,110 times
I don't know, Carrie. If I could shift North Wickham to Germany and had a copy of the plan, I might be able to comment.

American driving standards [and I'm not being gratuitously rude, this is basic fact] are abysmal - the N Wickham/I 95 junction would (in Europe) be eminently fixable, but given the lack of skill. lack of observation and lack of basic common sense exhibited by the average driver around here, the chances of a simple fix [and if people followed the rules, such a system would work] are about zero.

The Average American Driver (and I've spent many years investigating this beast) thinks that he/she is the ONLY person on the road and has a GOD GIVEN right to do whatever he or she thinks (including and text messages) whenever he or she thinks it's appropriate.

I'm a UK Police trained class A. (A pursuit rider(motorcycle) or car driver). I am familiar with (and accustomed occasionally to using) speeds in excess of 150 mph.

I don't think you have people like me here. You don't need them. Most of the motorists I've encountered around here shouldn't be allowed to drive at anything above 30 mph.

Most would fail a basic competence test elsewhere.

Best advice around here?

Look out of ALL the windowa (you are allowed to run your head.

Remember this rule - it will save your life!

Use the mirror (first thing)
Use your turn signal
Then Manoeuvre

And there's another bit ... the 'lifesaver' (and if you ride a motorcycle, you'll understand why)

TWIST YOUR HEAD TO THE LEFT AND LOOK:

You are actually supposed to do this a before you move to the left.

I Wonder how many people are aware that they'e actually supposed to look where they are going?

Keep to the Right (all the time unless you're overtaking)
Keep an eye on the left hand mirror,

Last edited by Manuel de Vol; 12-02-2012 at 12:50 AM..

Old 12-02-2012, 01:40 AM

Well Pearl - if you want to come and have a look, you can either come and stay with us or p-mail me.

I do like living here. It isn't cheap but it works.

If the roof needs fixing- they fix it.
If the microwave needs fixing- they fix it.

If you'd like to talk about it I can give you either an e-mail addy or a phone number (I'd prefer not to do the latter, because that does cost me money.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
Thank you for your feedback. I do like gated communities with HOA's, but agree they are a mixed bag; some are definitely run better than others.

I agree there is nowhere in Florida where you don't need a car, or you will be isolated and bored to death. It's actually the same where I live up north, as I am in a shoreline town here about 15 minutes from a city. But because Florida is such a huge state compared to where I live now (CT), I note things in Florida are much more spread out.

For example, last year I stayed in north Bradenton on the west coast for a month, but when I wanted to go to Sarasota, that was 20 miles, and when I wanted to go to St. Pete, that was about 25 miles. The nearest restaurant was 8 miles from where I stayed. Doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc. were all going to be about 35 - 40 minutes away. So it got to be a bit much with all the driving to do anything, and that gave me reservations about choosing that particular area. I will have to visit Melbourne and Palm Bay and other towns in the area to see how it is in comparison.

So just come and try. We've got a house. Most of the time, most of it is empty.

If you want to stay, let me know.

Do I have space? - Who knows.

2 people live here.

3 rooms

Old 12-02-2012, 04:53 AM

But this would be where you live and it is possible to live like that.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 AM

644 posts, read 1,484,276 times
Thanks for all the info, Manuel! I will be visiting my brother who has a place in Jensen Beach sometime this winter, so I will have a chance to drive farther north and look around the area. I'll message you before I come down.

It sounds like your gated community was a good choice for you. Some other advantages of gated communities would probably be safety, and depending on the community, the social interaction and the chance to hopefully make some connections and friends in the area. I think communities differ in this regard though, from what I've heard.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times
If you do move into a HOA Community... Know the facts first. Not Verbal Facts... written Bi-Laws of the community. Know how many members own property in the community. Then take that "Written Bi-Laws " too a "Good Attorney " not a attorney that has any interest in that community and or real estate representing that community. Then do even more research on land - future development - and any liens on the contractors and or management firm representing that community. With all the Real Estate since 2005. It's Buyer Beware... research research research.. And be very very wary of deals that are too good too be true..most likely it's a scam.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:58 PM

644 posts, read 1,484,276 times
Having lived in condo communities up north - something I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy - I understand what you mean. Not all boards and management companies are good. Most condo problems in the places I've lived in involve construction and repairs. Because the condos are attached to each other, residents are not able or allowed to handle outside maintenance of the condos themselves.

I am hoping that by buying into a new construction, gated community in Florida where the homes are detached, I will have more control over the upkeep of the place, and won't have to wait years for a condo board to fix a leaky roof or deck, for instance; something which is all too common up here.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garden pearl View Post
Having lived in condo communities up north - something I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy - I understand what you mean. Not all boards and management companies are good. Most condo problems in the places I've lived in involve construction and repairs. Because the condos are attached to each other, residents are not able or allowed to handle outside maintenance of the condos themselves.

I am hoping that by buying into a new construction, gated community in Florida where the homes are detached, I will have more control over the upkeep of the place, and won't have to wait years for a condo board to fix a leaky roof or deck, for instance; something which is all too common up here.
Then in 5 years when you want too paint the front door a certain color and you have too have that approved by the board. Or the height of your A/C Condensing Unit which has too be a certain height when you buy a new one in 15 years. These are items you check into before even signing your name.. trees -- shrubs -- type of grass. And every year watch what is put into the bi-laws or what is pulled out of the bi-laws.. and who & whom sits on the board and what connections they have in the community.
This is all HOA / POA Condominiums -- Homes - Multi-Home Units -- Town Homes - just watch and all ways CYA !! The other item you need too watch for is the term " The Discrete Buyer "

Happy Holidays

Old 12-19-2012, 11:57 AM

4 posts, read 7,531 times
Red face Cocoa beach, or Melbourne

I work for Advanced Tree Experts in the phone book so I've been all through Brevard county.
If you want a Beautiful place to live, it's Cocoa Beach.
The beaches are beautiful in the summer with lots of tourists and more than 1 hospital!
It does seem though that there is a lot more work in the melbourne area than the Cocoa area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County