Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 04:36 PM

10 posts, read 28,746 times

Advertisements

For the past few years I have been living in CO, but wishing to relocate to FL. The main reason is wanting to be closer to family. They all live on the East coast and one of my parents is ill.

I am a single mom with 2 kids 11 and 8 (boy and girl) and we have been living in CO for a little over 6 years now. About a month ago I started a new job, which I like. Both of my kids are academically advanced and their school does well with them.

I have a job lined up for me and a school set up for them in the Space Coast area. I'm just looking for opinions and wonder if anyone had to move to be closer to family and what their experience have been like. Any regets? Any positives?

See the pros and cons I have so far below:

COLORADO

Work - seems flexible, diverse, good pay (a few thousands more than the position in FL) and benefits, cons: might require long hours sometimes

School - flexible for advanced learning, friends

Home - we own an will rent it for a year or so and then sell it, I predict it will sell well

Area - love the scenery, hate the people (in general), a few friends, no family

FLORIDA

Work - it would be a job to get me there, seems good, but will have to wait and see or look for another one once there

School - looks good in paper and reviews, possibility for new friends

Home - Will rent for a year and buy after selling the one on CO

Area - have visited a few times, mostly familiar with Orlando instead, love the beach, will get me closer to family

One of my concerns is that my boy is becoming a teenager and I wonder if there's enough for him to do there or if I'm better off waiting and moving to Orlando, FL in the future. Also worried for both about bullying and safety. I just feel lonely in CO since I have no family support and barely any friends here. It's been a sacrifice to me in order to have my kids attend a good school, but I'm wondering if it is worth it. At the same time, I am afraid I will regret the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 08:51 PM

78 posts, read 122,808 times
One of the reasons we also wanna move to FL from IL is family. Some people seem to be okay without having family close by, but we have a son and we want him to have that sense and feel of having a big family and we are tired of spending holidays alone year after year.

Seems like you'll have a good job in either places. I'm sure your kids will have a lot (if not more) things to do in FL... so many parks there and beaches!

The weather is so nice and a lot warmer than CO (no snow!)

Houses in FL in general are very affordable, this is a good time to buy before the prices go back up again!

As for schools I really don't know, my son is 14 months old only!

Good luck, hope you make the right decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County