Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 07:17 PM

20 posts, read 22,564 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Florida and moved here about two years ago from Illinois. I have noticed that during the winter months when outdoor temperatures are cooler, the humidity in my home starts to increase to around 60%. I normally keep my thermostat in auto mode to switch from cooling to heating when needed, 78 degrees for the ac and 74 degrees for the heat. Even when the heat is on the humidity levels still rise. Last winter I went out and bought two dehumidifiers and used them during the winter months which seemed to help the problem. Can anyone tell me if this is normal for all homes in Florida? If so, any thoughts on a permanent solution to my problem. The dehumidifiers help, but can be a real pain dumping the drain bucket each day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 02:33 PM

39 posts, read 110,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberchic View Post
Hi,

I'm relatively new to Florida and moved here about two years ago from Illinois. I have noticed that during the winter months when outdoor temperatures are cooler, the humidity in my home starts to increase to around 60%. I normally keep my thermostat in auto mode to switch from cooling to heating when needed, 78 degrees for the ac and 74 degrees for the heat. Even when the heat is on the humidity levels still rise. Last winter I went out and bought two dehumidifiers and used them during the winter months which seemed to help the problem. Can anyone tell me if this is normal for all homes in Florida? If so, any thoughts on a permanent solution to my problem. The dehumidifiers help, but can be a real pain dumping the drain bucket each day.
How old is your cooling/heating system? We just replaced ours and I noticed a significant difference in the humidity level in our house (especially in the summer). But, 78 seems awfully high though for A/C- I put ours on that when we leave the house and its usually set to 74 when we are home and 72 at night. I would die with it being on 78 all day nor could I sleep with it that high? I will also not turn the heat on unless it goes below 68 degrees in the house. Humidity level was always lower in the winter but we only turn the heat on at night as needed.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:57 PM

The a/c unit is two years old and I've noticed this problem the first year we moved into the home. Also, I get cold very easily which is why I set my ac to 78 in summer and heat to 74 during winter months. I do not have this problem during the summer. It only happens during the winter months when the a/c is not constantly running. I'm from up north and have become accustomed to heat during the winter months. 78 is where I would normally set the heat to. Love to be warm and cozy. Thank you for the response.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:12 AM

113 posts, read 141,906 times
This is normal as using the A/C will dry the air out and using heat will not. In the winter your indoor humidity will rise or fall depending on the outside humidity. Do you notice the condensate from the unit when running the A/C and none when using heat.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:39 AM

413 posts, read 301,678 times
Do you have impact windows? Is your house cement block? I have a cement block old house with lots of old windows and doors. I replaced all windows and doors with hurricane and impact doors and windows. Humidity dropped about 20% all year round. Maybe even more. If you have an old Florida house you may like these upgrades.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:03 PM

Hi, my thermostat has a humidistat which is what I have been using to monitor the humidity. There is definitely condensate when the ac is running. The problem only occurs during winter months went the unit is not running or has switched to heating mode. It gets as high as 60%. Running the dehumidifiers helps to keep it down. It drops to about 43% if I run them continuously. Yes the home is cement block and I don't believe these are impact windows so maybe that is the problem. I'll have to look into that. Thank you both for responding.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:44 PM

283 posts, read 289,702 times
How fast are you filling up the dehumidifiers during the winter? That's weird, usually during those months it's dry enough outside that the relative humidity inside houses are around 50% with just normal a/c use. I agree with the above, get your a/c checked. When the a/c's fan motors are not running fast enough, and it's moving air slower than its supposed to, that has an effect on properly maintaining your indoor conditions

60% is not too bad actually, when it gets above 70% it's uncomfortable.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:28 AM

113 posts, read 141,906 times
You need to know what the outdoor humidity is. During the winter, if you are using heat, the outdoor humidity if high will be close to or equal to the indoor humidity. Using the heat, DOES NOT reduce humidity, A/C does! This is how dehumidifiers work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County