Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 03:37 AM

62 posts, read 65,863 times

Advertisements

Buddha had talked about what he had seen in Heaven many times. To get such an information his mind must be in divine matrix for minutes.
If time in Heaven is 100,000 times faster than Earth, then 1 minute in Heaven is 100000 / (60x24) = 6.94 Earth days .
If time in Heaven is 1,000,000 times faster than Earth, then 1 minute in Heaven is 1000000 / (60x24) = 69.4 Earth days .
It is recorded in Tripidok that time in Heaven is about 100,000-1,000,000 times faster than Earth. So is there any record in Tripidok that Buddha used to close his eyes and did the meditation for month and even year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 03:21 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
I don't think it's Buddha's misunderstanding. For one, the text is merely portraying a character within it, that character might or might not be an accurate portrayal and reflection of the Buddha; it certainly isn't the Buddha himself being confined to those pages.

More importantly, I think your math is a little off there; and so might your understanding of temporal qualities.

If time is faster in heaven then it means that one second here is like 10^(5-6) seconds over there. That means that the Buddha needed only one minute on Earth to spend somewhere between 1 through 10 weeks in Heaven(s) converting all the intoxicated beings there. Faster doesn't mean slower.

Saying that time is faster in heaven can't mean that one second in heaven is like 10^(5-6) seconds here. Faster means you are comparing two things. If more seconds pass here then there, then it is slower over there. Stretching out one second in heaven to fit into E^(5-6) seconds here would mean that it would take E^(5 or 6) "real" seconds for beings in heaven to do something that it would take only one "real" second here. That would mean that the beings in heaven are slower, and therefore that their time is slower. If you stretch the time in heaven, you are making it slower.

That might explain such evil procrastination by whichever are rulers of whichever correct heavens, but it would also mean that we are faster and they are slower.

Plus, if time was indeed slower in heaven, then the Buddha could have meditated upon heaven while doing other things. He lived a couple of years, so he mights have spent a couple of weeks in heaven while he worked fully on Earth. I don't know if I could say that the Buddha was incapable of multi-tasking.

Sorry about your misunderstanding. Siddhartha Gautama Buddha might have had many misunderstandings for being a person like the rest of us; but as the text of your thread stater portrays, metaphysical math doesn't appear to have been one of his weak suits.

If your O.P. was simply a joke without a clear punch-line, then I'm afraid it fell as grime that needed washing upon me, since I was looking for truth and lack of misunderstandings instead of giggles.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 12-16-2013 at 03:35 AM..

Old 06-14-2015, 03:41 AM

The dog is very poor at math but it never give salution to any begger after it had helped the beggar.
Somebody claimed to be very good at math, but has to give salution to the beggar after giving him some money or food.
Who do you think is smarter?

Old 06-14-2015, 05:25 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
"Someone" because we can reason and have developed social conduct including responsibility to the less fortunate, wherewithals to share with them and polite salutations, whereas dogs haven's progressed much past snarling and ass -sniffing.

What was your point, anyway?

And just how did the dog help the beggar? I missed that bit.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aganus View Post
The dog is very poor at math but it never give salution to any begger after it had helped the beggar.
Somebody claimed to be very good at math, but has to give salution to the beggar after giving him some money or food.
Who do you think is smarter?
You and I are both forgiven. It becomes obvious when you accept the sense of grace.
The child merely gives his crumbs to the dog, because the child is selfish.
The First Hatched and his various scribes and students had a lot of misunderstanding, but the story in the O.P. didn't portray one.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 06-17-2015 at 02:37 AM..

Old 07-11-2015, 07:57 AM

You and I are both forgiven. It becomes obvious when you accept the sense of grace.
----Who give you that authority to judge and forgive anybody?

The child merely gives his crumbs to the dog, because the child is selfish.
----Sometimes child does not do that. Selfish is depend on many situations.

The First Hatched and his various scribes and students had a lot of misunderstanding, but the story in the O.P. didn't portray one.
----If this simple math can't portray one. I don't know how to teach you.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
"Someone" because we can reason and have developed social conduct including responsibility to the less fortunate, wherewithals to share with them and polite salutations, whereas dogs haven's progressed much past snarling and ass -sniffing.

---- If someone who got some good education and can find out why one's must give salution to any beggar, that's a real shameful.
And will you mind if somebody, not monk, don't show any kind of gratitude after you help them.
Polite salution happened when the receiver shows any kind of respect to the giver, not vice versa.

---- Perhaps you never see. Dog can
-- Watch something or find out the lost belonging
-- Help from gangster attack
-- Barking for warning
-- Help the blind beggar to walk across some difficult area

Old 08-15-2015, 10:55 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,646,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aganus View Post
Buddha had talked about what he had seen in Heaven many times. To get such an information his mind must be in divine matrix for minutes.
If time in Heaven is 100,000 times faster than Earth, then 1 minute in Heaven is 100000 / (60x24) = 6.94 Earth days .
If time in Heaven is 1,000,000 times faster than Earth, then 1 minute in Heaven is 1000000 / (60x24) = 69.4 Earth days .
It is recorded in Tripidok that time in Heaven is about 100,000-1,000,000 times faster than Earth. So is there any record in Tripidok that Buddha used to close his eyes and did the meditation for month and even year?
I posted this somewhere, //www.city-data.com/forum/40376488-post7.html
I do not agree there was an actual historical Buddha as a real person. The Buddha Story is appropriately a myth to convey the essence of Buddhism and one need to understand the Substance and not be attached to the Form of it. Whether there is a real Buddha or not, it is not the most critical*. What is most critical is the core principles and substance that are conveyed within the Buddha Story, the philosophy and the practices that inspire every individual to progress spiritually.

* For some Buddhists, the Buddha per se is not critical, that is to the extent of;
If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill the Buddha…in this way, you attain liberation.’
-Lin Chi
The intention was to shock students into realizing that they themselves were Buddhas, and that they had no need to depend upon, mistakenly objectify, or inordinately revere figures external to themselves. -wiki

Buddhism [as with other Eastern religions] recognized there is a spectrum and continuum of believers [Bell Curve] in term of spiritual competency from say 1[Low] to 100[high] [SQ].

Just like many human values are conveyed to young children through fairy tales, myths, fiction, supernatural, cartoons and other "childish" materials, Buddhism does the same for those Buddhists with lower spiritual and rational competency [SQ].

Thus for materials and teachings that cater for say SQ up to 1 to 50-60, one will note the Buddhist Sutras contain a whole load of supernatural, mystical, fables, etc. elements which some are irrational, stupid, absurd, etc, when compared to those with a higher sense of rationality and SQ. Nonetheless within these super-irrational elements and forms there are the hidden core principles of Buddhism.

The safety valve is there are no opportunities for any one to abuse the Sutras for terrible violence and other evils.

At the higher levels of SQ, say, 75-95 the Buddhist sutras deal with the higher level philosophies, e.g. with Koans like the above. If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill the Buddha' and very sophisticated philosophies, teachings and practices.

The fact that you jumped in to critique in a way of a 'put-down' indicate your ignorance of the full fledge teachings of Buddhism and also spirituality & human nature in general.

Btw, I am not a Buddhist per se, but I have quite an extensive knowledge of the religion, I have great respect for its teachings and has adopted some of it personally. I don't agree with the religiosity of Buddhism [as with others] which manifest all sort of scandals, abuses, etc. but fortunately Buddhism do not condone violent and evils like [we know which religion].

Old 08-15-2015, 10:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Isn't this a bit like how many angels fit on the head of a pin? No one has verified the existence of heaven nor the time system there
Nor are the importance of Buddhist teaching based on time travel

Old 08-16-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Isn't this a bit like how many angels fit on the head of a pin? No one has verified the existence of heaven nor the time system there
Nor are the importance of Buddhist teaching based on time travel
That is a good point. But the more on-topic point is that this was the O.P.'s misunderstanding and not a fallacy in the quoted text. I think I did the math and followed through on the logic for the O.P., lord aganus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism