Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 06:50 PM

128 posts, read 100,157 times

Advertisements

Ven. Thanisaro Bhikkhu, born Geoffrey DeGraff, is another of a great line of scholar-monks, which have shaped modern Theravada Buddhism. Like Bhikkhu Bodhi and Bhikkhu Nanamoli, Thanisaro Bhikkhu is a formidable scholar and leading Buddhist. His translation of the Dhammapada and much of the sutta pitika are sometimes controversial, but always cogent and insightful.

After graduating from Oberlin College, Thanisaro Bhikkhu traveled to Northern Thailand, approximately in the area of Chiang Mai. He studied under the tutelage of Ajahn Lee Dhammadero, a leading figure in the Thai Forest tradition, also known as Khammatthana.

The Thai Forest tradition dates back to the turn of the century. Basically, the Thai Forest tradition came about as a rejection of what was perceived as abuses and stagnation in the Thai Theravada establishment. Ajahn Mun Bhuridatto was one of the first of many reformers in Theravada. The Thai Forest tradition emphasizes the primacy of meditation and retreat to isolated areas to practice a more austere variety of Buddhism. The Thai Forest tradition emphasizes the importance of the Pali Canon, and a return to an early variety of Buddhism. This movement was fiercely opposed to the Theravada establishment. The Thai Forest tradition emphasized meditation as a way to attain the Deathless, amata-dhamma(Pali). Ajahn Chah(1918-1992) popularized the Thai Forest tradition, and brought it to the West.

The Thai Forest tradition constitutes what anthropologists call a revitalization movement. All bureaucracies, including religious ones, have a strong tendency to become entrenched and stagnant. The Thai Forest tradition is an attempt to return to the roots of early Buddhism.

Ven. Thanissaro Bhikkhu ultimately returned to the United States and founded the Metta Forest Monastery in Southern California. It is somehow appropriate that this monastery exists in a beautiful but harsh desert environment. At this time, he is abbot of this monastery. His learned works include many dozens of articles, dhamma talks, and translations from the Pali Canon. He continues to advance the Thai Forest tradition.

All of his work is available in Access to Insight, and is worth perusing by any serious student of Theravada Buddhism.

Comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 06:03 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
My only comment is that (in one sense) there are two aspects of Buddhism in Thailand that are significant:

1. The intellectual aspect of Buddhism that you are talking about;
2. How the "Buddhist masses" practice Buddhism.

And never the twain shall meet.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:35 PM

128 posts, read 100,157 times
Phetaroi

You bring up an excellent point. Village Buddhism in Thailand and Nepal is praying to the Lord Buddha when your child is sick.
Your typical villager has never heard of the Four Noble Truths, Eightfold Path, Conditioned Arising, etc. In Nepal, the village religions are a mixture of Hinduism and Buddhism plus animistic elements. Even in Buddhist facilities you might see a Ganesha statue. This is what I call bhakti Buddhism, or village Buddhism/Hinduism/Tantra all mixed together.

Like you, I am Theravada, so this bothers me a little.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianberkeley View Post
Phetaroi

You bring up an excellent point. Village Buddhism in Thailand and Nepal is praying to the Lord Buddha when your child is sick.
Your typical villager has never heard of the Four Noble Truths, Eightfold Path, Conditioned Arising, etc. In Nepal, the village religions are a mixture of Hinduism and Buddhism plus animistic elements. Even in Buddhist facilities you might see a Ganesha statue. This is what I call bhakti Buddhism, or village Buddhism/Hinduism/Tantra all mixed together.

The Thai monk with whom I am good friends here in the States have talked about this several times. We call it "cultural Buddhism". Of course, even at the temple they have an animist spirit house!

Old 01-28-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianberkeley View Post
Phetaroi

The Thai monk with whom I am good friends here in the States have talked about this several times. We call it "cultural Buddhism". Of course, even at the temple they have an animist spirit house!

Old 01-29-2019, 04:47 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My only comment is that (in one sense) there are two aspects of Buddhism in Thailand that are significant:

1. The intellectual aspect of Buddhism that you are talking about;
2. How the "Buddhist masses" practice Buddhism.

And never the twain shall meet.
The situation is very similar to the Roman Catholicism that I was brought up in, and which was prevalent not just in the U.S. but in Europe and South America as well. American R.C. kids in some areas were fed the old Baltimore Catechism to try to give them some knowledge of #1, but it was almost always ditched after formal classes for the prevalent cult of the saints and the Virgin and unending ritual observances.

As a result the above dichotomy in Thai Buddhism has not struck me as unusual.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The situation is very similar to the Roman Catholicism that I was brought up in, and which was prevalent not just in the U.S. but in Europe and South America as well. American R.C. kids in some areas were fed the old Baltimore Catechism to try to give them some knowledge of #1, but it was almost always ditched after formal classes for the prevalent cult of the saints and the Virgin and unending ritual observances.

As a result the above dichotomy in Thai Buddhism has not struck me as unusual.
I'm not saying it's an unusual issue. I'm just saying it's an issue.

Which represents "living" Buddhism in Thailand?:

The 70,000 full-time monks in Thailand?
The 300,000 monks in Thailand, 230,000 of whom are temporary cultural monks?
The 64,960,000 people in Thailand who self-identify as Buddhist?

Old 02-07-2019, 02:01 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
I wish there was Monastery here in Canada of the Thai forest tradition of the Ajahn Lee Dhammadaro lieneage.

Ajahn Chah was a Thai forest monk but not of the same lineage. I am not sure what the main differences but I know the meditation practice is slightly different. There is a Thai forest monastery in British Columbia in the Tradition of Ajahn Chah I would like to visit.

Thanissaro Bhikkhu is one of the best western monks and teachers IMO. His style is much better than Ajahn Bram or the arrogant Ajahan Sujato down in Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism