Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 02:19 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
'[Lama Yeshe] explained that intoxicants and
meditation don’t go together. “Intoxicants take you away from reality;
meditation takes you toward reality. Which do you want? You are already
intoxicated by ignorance, anger, and attachment and suffer as a result.
Why do you want to take more intoxicants?”

–Bhikshuni Thubten Chodron author, Tibetan Buddhist nun, and founder of Sravasti Avvey
Did someone here say that "intoxicants and meditation" go together? Show me the post where someone said that. No, you're just trying to cloud the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
yes, good point. shorthand: follow the fifth precept, to keep the other four

"The fifth precept was created as a support for following the rest of the precepts. As anyone who has drunk to excess knows, minding yourself in word and deed is far more difficult, sometimes impossible, when you are intoxicated. The Buddha, in one of the Jataka Tales about his past lives, minces no words when describing the effects of drunkenness:

"The one who drinks this brew will sin in thought, word, and deed. He will see good as evil and evil as good. Even the most modest person will act indecently when drunk. The wisest man will babble foolishly. . . . You will grow accustomed to evil behavior, to lies, to abuse, to filth, and to disgrace."
—Kumbha Jataka: The Fifth Precept, from Jataka Tales of the Buddha: Part III, retold by Ken & Visakha Kawasaki

from Tricycle: The Buddhist Review
Is there any religion that you're not an expert on?

But since you bring up Tricycle, you might further research it and realize that it says that Buddhists do not believe in a creator god, and that the gods talked about in Buddhism are not what you and your buddies talk about. Go ahead. Look it up...in your source.

Old 07-31-2023, 07:56 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not really. "Recognizing" it is proof that people will project their ideal parent (that they never had) onto people wearing robes.
but that's not enlightenment.

Quote:
The proof is in the pudding, OP. An Enlightened person will not form personality cults around themselves, will observe good ethics (IOW practicing what they preach), and will display compassion and handle controversy appropriately, using good judgment, otherwise known as wisdom.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, for starters, you are confusing Buddhism with Buddha. Just like Christianity is confused with Yeshua Ga Notsri. Those are things quite well differing.
Buddha, Sukyamuni, never wrote a single word. And, btw, he was not ascetic, when he attained. He abandoned that practice years ago.
Anyhow. All he did was to show, that for those, who seek certain way, it is possible. He served as example. That was it.

What people made out of it, is THEIR own business.

Base line in Buddhism is - everyone must to find their own path. Those, who step on that path, will not be concerned with things such as proof. They will have that burning hunger inside for spiritual fulfillment. So strong, that they will give their life, if so needed, for it.

To one, who does not have such craving, it is not possible to understand their way.

To those, who don't know, even thousands of books are not enough.
To those, who do, even one word is too much.
i just read this again.
wow, this is realllllllllllllllly really good.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Is there any religion that you're not an expert on?
But since you bring up Tricycle, you might further research it and realize that it says that Buddhists do not believe in a creator god, and that the gods talked about in Buddhism are not what you and your buddies talk about. Go ahead. Look it up...in your source.
i don't see where gods are talked about anywhere in this thread. oh, except in posts #50 and #52. Gods are mentioned in those two posts, and both those posts were posted by, well yourself.

so since you have introduced "gods" into this thread, then for you how do "gods" relate to the thread topic of enlightenment?

Old 07-31-2023, 08:20 PM

currently listening to this track (well 10 hours is a long track) which is lovely, rainfall thunder and Tibetan bowls. I would really like to know where the photo is taken too.

track

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-31-2023 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-31-2023, 08:47 PM

And i really really really love everything about this The Sound Instruments in the Zen Monastery, "The various sound-producing implements (bells, clappers, gongs) used in a monastery to signal the times for various activities."

The line drawings, the words, the descriptions, the Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana; the gongs, bells, clapper, drum, bowls, the large wooden fish that gets gonged until the wood wears away and a hole appears. I can look at these pages for hours.

And I do.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
i don't see where gods are talked about anywhere in this thread. oh, except in posts #50 and #52. Gods are mentioned in those two posts, and both those posts were posted by, well yourself.

so since you have introduced "gods" into this thread, then for you how do "gods" relate to the thread topic of enlightenment?
I am pointing out -- and you know it -- that you are cherry picking a source. That's akin to cheating.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I am pointing out -- and you know it -- that you are cherry picking a source. That's akin to cheating.
"cheating" ??
strange. because you have recognized cherry picking as positive in many posts, for instance here:
Quote:
Anyone who doesn't believe in cherry picking also doesn't believe in critical thinking.
and also here:

Posted by phetaroi
Quote:
It hadn't really occurred to me in the same way as it does after reading your post, but I realized that I am a long term cherry-picker...in most things, not just religion. I am not one to just 'buy' a package deal. I think that was honed through my profession...making sure that lesson plans and later 'school plans' were honed to be successful. Yet, I remember cherry picking when I would hear bible stories and thinking 'that doesn't make sense to me' or 'how come this stuff only happened 2,000 years ago, but not today?' To me, if one doesn't cherry pick, one doesn't think. But a Thai Buddhist monk said something one day that stuck with me. If you find a teaching that doesn't resonate with you (paraphrased) it doesn't mean you have to throw it away; sometimes it's wise to set it aside because you may come back to it.

with regards to thread topic of enlightenment, i like the last line above "Sometimes it's wise to set it aside because you may come back to it."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-01-2023 at 07:21 PM..

Old 08-01-2023, 07:53 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
"cheating" ??
strange. because you have recognized cherry picking as positive in many posts, for instance here:

and also here:

Posted by phetaroi

with regards to thread topic of enlightenment, i like the last line above "Sometimes it's wise to set it aside because you may come back to it."
Wise to know when to be picky and when to be the cherry.
That was hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism