Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:09 AM

454 posts, read 498,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
I've seen interesting mention of this somewhere. Anyone have links or book references?
I wouldn't have thought they have cable in Tibet, wouldn't really need a remote would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 07:00 AM

6,959 posts, read 6,891,873 times
I have read all of Lobsang Rampa books when I was young and he does go into astral projection a lot.
Now I am much older and a little wiser, I have a feeling that it is not a very good idea to do this kind of thing by learning about it from a book and I also think most people would caution against doing it without understanding a lot more about what you may encounter 'out there'. I know, I know, everyone warns of this kind of thing.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:08 PM

22,288 posts, read 19,267,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Now I am much older and a little wiser, I have a feeling that it is not a very good idea to do this kind of thing by learning about it from a book and I also think most people would caution against doing it without understanding a lot more about what you may encounter 'out there'. I know, I know, everyone warns of this kind of thing.
such a warning is very wise and definitely in order

also it is worthwhile to make the distinction between the "astral plane" and other planes of non-physical existence that are not the astral belt. In terms of safety and prudence and wisdom, the astral belt is an unsavory place to visit. Ever. Period. It is the utter garbage dump and cesspool of non-physical existence.

it's the equivalent of wandering around the worst part of town that is filled with dangerous characters and deadly weapons and unsavory types who have nothing but harming you in mind. Would you do that "just for fun" or to "see what it's like" or to "help someone who might need help" ???

as above so below. The astral belt is the equivalent to that type of "neighborhood". To put yourself in harm's way intentionally simply shows poor judgment and a willigness to deliberately engage in self-destructive behavior.

when you visit a foreign country, and you don't know the language or the terrain or the culture or the people, for your own safety and well-being you do not travel alone, you go with a guide who knows what they're doing and can keep you safe, and when the guide says "don't go there, it is dangerous" you respect that. again, as above, so below.

The astral belt is one of those places you don't even go WITH a guide, and if someone wants to take you there and offers to be your guide, run as fast as you can the other direction, because that person means you harm and does NOT have your safety or well-being or best interests in mind.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:32 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,383,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

as above so below. The astral belt is the equivalent to that type of "neighborhood". To put yourself in harm's way intentionally simply shows poor judgment and a willigness to deliberately engage in self-destructive behavior.

when you visit a foreign country, and you don't know the language or the terrain or the culture or the people, for your own safety and well-being you do not travel alone, you go with a guide who knows what they're doing and can keep you safe, and when the guide says "don't go there, it is dangerous" you respect that. again, as above, so below.

The astral belt is one of those places you don't even go WITH a guide, and if someone wants to take you there and offers to be your guide, run as fast as you can the other direction, because that person means you harm and does NOT have your safety or well-being or best interests in mind.
Enjoyed the comments. And the warnings.

Just to be clear, I was not preparing for an astral belt visit. I would probably avoid city data forum and discussions there if I was preparing for astral travel.

Perhaps I am a naturalist in the sense that I think a visit to the astral belt should be prepared for by unplugging for a bit. But, as societies grow ever more digital, virtual and connected, perhaps people will navigate ways to project (spontaneously, planned, what have you) in still effective ways. I really don't know. This is not my expertise.

I was really just putting out a very cerebral curiosity about the use of the term "remote viewing" in any Tibetan Buddhist practice or sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism