Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:58 PM

525 posts, read 1,827,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamsx View Post
You pay a registration based on car class and weight and the sticker issued is valid for two years. The cost is generally $20-$40 per year (higher the first time you are registering the vehicle).
I just got my registration bill for $37.50 for 2 years. It is based on vehicle weight. My 2000 Altima is 2930 lbs. There are a few NYS counties with a vehicle use tax. Erie county charges $10 or $20 at each renewal (2 years).

NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration - Fees and Use Taxes for Passenger Vehicles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 01:01 PM

103 posts, read 653,925 times
rochacha - I think Smiths101 was asking about the vehicle use tax many states charge that is hundreds of dollars per year based on age/type and cost of vehicle. Like in NV my in-laws pay over $600 per year.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:50 AM

9 posts, read 26,068 times
Thank you all

Old 06-29-2007, 04:07 PM

53 posts, read 332,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clortho1 View Post
The only thing they have going for them is Mighty Taco.
Is Mighty Taco that good? I'll have to take a road trip.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 83,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hungry_wanderer View Post
Is Mighty Taco that good? I'll have to take a road trip.
The thought of Mighty Taco makes me vomit up a little. And just conjures up memories of drunken college nights when my taste buds were weakened... but yes I know many people love it.

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on this thread that Buffalo has the lowest commute times of anywhere in the country, and I certainly believe it. If we're stuck for ten minutes, we're babies about it. I lived north of San Fran, so I understand what that's like. We have lived in Orchard Park for fifteen years, and it's beautiful. I used to work at UB, and my commute was 30 non-stressful minutes that I enjoyed, unwinding before picking up the kids.

I agree with a previous poster: if you can't find a gorgeous home here for under 220K, you are not looking hard enough. You seriously would not even believe the beautiful homes you can get here for the money. I live in a 3600 sq. ft. house on 2 acres with a pond and a tennis court. I made that price range. (and it's going up for sale next week ... want it? )In the "southtowns" there is Orchard Park, East Aurora, and Hamburg. Skip the middle and go to Snyder, Amherst, Williamsville, Eggertsville, etc... The traffic there is way more congested than in the southtowns, but lots of my friends like that lifestyle. I like it quieter now, but before OP I lived in Allentown downtown, and I loved every single year of it.

And don't listen to these people about how bad Buffalo is. It's a really nice city and a great place to live. We have a waterfront. Where I'm going, there is no waterfront. I'm a little sad, I gotta tell you. I've lived in Cali, and certainly there's just no comparison ... the raw, physical beauty of California is incomparable. But Buffalonians are nice, there's plenty to do, and it's extremely reasonably priced.

We just need to get more innovative upstarts here to shake things up a little so people don't need to further their careers elsewhere in the country.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 AM

16 posts, read 80,165 times
I can't believe you people are acting like western NYS is such a great place to live. I live in Batavia and honeslty the problems with money in Buffalo/Erie Country are pathetic. I honestly would say to research and think long and hard about how much you honestly want to pay in taxes before moving anywhere in NYS, but especially b/c of all of the money problems in the Buffalo/Erie County area and be really sure you want to deal with all of these problems. I am not saying that Batavia is so nice by any means, but this city in some ways is much better off than Buffalo. Also Genesee County I would also say is much better of too than Erie county. If you lived here you would actually be pretty close to BOTH Buffalo and Rochester, as well as Niagra falls. I also want to say, but am not positive that the taxes here are a little bit lower too than all of those areas. Just don't quote me on that.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:19 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp05 View Post
I can't believe you people are acting like western NYS is such a great place to live. I live in Batavia and honeslty the problems with money in Buffalo/Erie Country are pathetic. I honestly would say to research and think long and hard about how much you honestly want to pay in taxes before moving anywhere in NYS, but especially b/c of all of the money problems in the Buffalo/Erie County area and be really sure you want to deal with all of these problems. I am not saying that Batavia is so nice by any means, but this city in some ways is much better off than Buffalo. Also Genesee County I would also say is much better of too than Erie county. If you lived here you would actually be pretty close to BOTH Buffalo and Rochester, as well as Niagra falls. I also want to say, but am not positive that the taxes here are a little bit lower too than all of those areas. Just don't quote me on that.
I think Buffalo and some of the burbs around Buffalo have way more going for them than Batavia - thats probably part of the problem right there. Batavia is a hike. Ive always thought it was kind of isolated in that regard, halfway between Buffalo and Rochester - means it not far from either, but far enough so that its not as closely connected. The fact its a very small city doesnt help.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 AM

42 posts, read 148,638 times
Hi. My husband and I lived in Buffalo for 4 years in Amherst, Williamsville, and Buffalo proper. We rented though. Amherst and Williamsville were our favorite.

There are great things about Buffalo if you are a cool weather person. Skiing, snowboarding, the arts. The art scene is great the Albright-Knox, the Burchfield Penny, and the History museum are all within walking distance of one another. Also, anything in Buffalo is a half an hour from anything else. There is virtually never any traffic. Amherst and Williamsville have great houses. I know some people who are building homes themselves out near Lockport (a little bit of a drive though). My husband got his DDS from UB, which has great Dental and MBA programs. Also when the weather warms up there is the 'festival' season. I am not kidding, from May through August's end there are festivals every weekend. Also it is a short drive from Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake, which is so fun to visit.

The only drawback is that there is not much sun from October-May, and it is very windy and cold...but that is all relative. If you are a cool weather person I say go for it.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:56 AM

9 posts, read 26,068 times
Default Help needed again

Please help one more time:

So if I bring a used SUV (more than 3500 Ibs) to Erie county:

I will be registering it for 20.00 or more for 2 years? Is this for tag renewal or registration renewal only?
If previous charge was not for tag renewal, Do I need to have Tag renewal done each year? How much? If yes, what is the fee each year?

Will I have to pay excise tax again?

Do I pay personal property tax each year on car?

Thank you again ? What a wonderful group of people here! Keep it up.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:24 PM

103 posts, read 653,925 times
NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration - Fees and Use Taxes for Passenger Vehicles That is the DMV link. For Erie county it says:

Quote:
For passenger vehicles that weigh 3500 lbs. or less:
$10 for two years ($5 per year).

For passenger vehicles that weigh 3501 lbs. or more:
$20 for two years ($10 per year).
Read the top of the link concerning registration fee (2951 - 3050#; $38.50 (for two years)). There is no personal property tax on vehicles. We don't have tags, we have windshield stickers. The registration stickers are issued for two years. You will need to get your car inspected. The inspection is must be done yearly (even on new cars).

So, it looks like it will cost you $58.50 for two years to register your car in Erie County (no idea if there are more fees or taxes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area