Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 07:04 AM

15 posts, read 30,357 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my husband just got a new job in Amherst, so my family will be moving up to the Buffalo area in less than 3 weeks! We were trying to find a rental home in the Williamsville/Amherst areas, but there are slim pickings! I just saw some info online about Grand Island, and it looks really nice. I have two kids and I want excellent schools for them, so that it important. Can anyone tell me about living with a family on Grand Island?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,819,554 times
That might be a longer commute than he wants, it still isn't too bad. What about Lancaster or Clarence? Here are some websites that might help: RealtyUSA | New York Real Estate |

MapsKrieg - Buffalo, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

Old 07-18-2011, 09:27 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMama1 View Post
Hi everyone, my husband just got a new job in Amherst, so my family will be moving up to the Buffalo area in less than 3 weeks! We were trying to find a rental home in the Williamsville/Amherst areas, but there are slim pickings! I just saw some info online about Grand Island, and it looks really nice. I have two kids and I want excellent schools for them, so that it important. Can anyone tell me about living with a family on Grand Island?
I grew up on Grand Island (been gone from there for about 15 years). It is a nice quiet place with plenty of nature and little traffic and aggrevation. The approach to the tolls to the South Grand Island bridge can backup during rush hours, but you can avoid it if you take that short cut from Sheridan Drive to River Road and get on the 190 right at the toll barrier.

The down side to Grand Island is that you do have to leave the Island for major shopping and services and the people there can be a bit insular. Overall though it is a nice place to live. My parents worked in Williamsville and Depew and I commuted to UB when I lived there and we didn't encounter many traffic issues. I'm sure that hasn't changed much in the years I've been away.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 AM

744 posts, read 1,767,409 times
2010 Population Growth and Population Statistics

Grand Island, NY New York

Population 2010 Census 20,482

Population Change Since 1990 14.58% INCREASE

Population Change Since 2000 9.99% INCREASE

Forecasted Population Change by 2014 5.45% INCREASE

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 06:18 AM..

Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,840 times
Grand Island is one of the only places in the area that makes commutes a pain in the rear. Going over the bridges can be quick or an ordeal, depending on the day. It is probably the one place I would never live, no matter how nice, unless I never had to drive off of it.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:30 PM

16 posts, read 94,860 times
Grand Island is nice if you're a nature lover. Lots of greenspace and its very close to Niagara Falls. There is also a decent amusement park, Martin's Fantasy Island. However, the driving ($1.00 toll for the Grand Island Bridge) will probably get annoying quickly and aside from MFA there isn't much to do.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:02 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivel View Post
Grand Island is nice if you're a nature lover. Lots of greenspace and its very close to Niagara Falls. There is also a decent amusement park, Martin's Fantasy Island. However, the driving ($1.00 toll for the Grand Island Bridge) will probably get annoying quickly and aside from MFA there isn't much to do.
Its only a $.09 toll for residents of the Island if they use EZ Pass & verify their address & vehicle registration to be on Grand Island.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:38 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,936 times
GI is terrible. Decent houses but the people that live there think they are something special. You would think they are from LI. My parents lived there before I was born and my GF has a friend that lives there. The bridges are annoying along with the price to pay to use them. There isnt anything on the island of worth. You would be better off getting a place in Clarence or maybe more towards Buffalo. GI isn't worth the stress or the attitudes.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:52 PM

8 posts, read 19,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
GI is terrible.
Have you lived there?

Quote:
Decent houses but the people that live there think they are something special.
Would that be the Variety Club sense of the word "special", or just special-special?

Quote:
You would think they are from LI.
The accents are different, and so is the aggression level.

Quote:
My parents lived there before I was born and my GF has a friend that lives there.
Input from your parents or your girlfriend's friend might be a little bit more useful.

Quote:
The bridges are annoying along with the price to pay to use them.
They keep the riff-raff out.

Quote:
There isnt anything on the island of worth.
Unless you value good/safe public schools, low crime, abundant green space, proximity to two major cities, water sports, etc.

Quote:
You would be better off getting a place in Clarence
Which works if you like being isolated.

Quote:
or maybe more towards Buffalo.
Kenmore is the closest I'd get if I were the op.

Quote:
GI isn't worth the stress
What stress? Not like the Islanders have that much to worry about, unlike residents of Niagara Falls.

Quote:
or the attitudes.
I still have no idea what you're talking about, and I lived there for more than twenty years.

Last edited by kunsunoke; 07-27-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 02:58 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
GI is terrible. Decent houses but the people that live there think they are something special. You would think they are from LI. My parents lived there before I was born and my GF has a friend that lives there. The bridges are annoying along with the price to pay to use them. There isnt anything on the island of worth. You would be better off getting a place in Clarence or maybe more towards Buffalo. GI isn't worth the stress or the attitudes.
I've lived on both Grand Island and Long Island.

Two totally different animals, believe me! People along the water on Grand Island can be a bit uppity, but nowhere near Long Island levels! Most everyone else on Grand Island is middle/working class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area