Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 12:13 PM

94 posts, read 460,575 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering how Grand Island is. What is there to do, how are the schools, that type of thing. Also, what kind of people live on the island? Are they young, old...a mix of both? Are there grocery stores and shops in town, or do you need to drive in Buffalo or Niagara? Thanks for all the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 12:17 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post
I was just wondering how Grand Island is. What is there to do, how are the schools, that type of thing. Also, what kind of people live on the island? Are they young, old...a mix of both? Are there grocery stores and shops in town, or do you need to drive in Buffalo or Niagara? Thanks for all the help!

The island is nice, but you are a slave to the bridge. Yes there are grocery stores on the island and it really is a beautiful place. Business first does a great listings of the schools in wny - check that out. As far as a mix, there are young and old - there are no malls on the island that I am aware of, so you would have to haul it 15 minutes to get to one - other than that, I think its a very nice community.

colleen

Old 07-15-2008, 12:18 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,403 times
oh and I might also add, if you are considering buying property, there is a huge range on the island from very expensive to reasonable - it certainly is a mix!!

Old 07-16-2008, 03:44 PM

161 posts, read 703,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post
I'd say it's a good mix of people. There are families/generations that have been there forever; I know people who have been living there since the 70s; and a good amount of young families, too. There is a nice feeling of community there.

I think the schools tend to rate pretty well, and there is a good mix of housing styles and prices.

My issue with GI is that there is really only one grocery store, which is a a Tops (not my favorite) and a handful of smaller retail, but to get to a mall or a chain store, you're going to have to go off-Island. Also, the bridge traffic can be pretty bad in the afternoons (not as sure about mornings).

When we moved back here, I had two small kids and was not working (and therefore not earning!), so I wanted the convenience of being closer to places like Target and Wegman's.

Also, I grew up on the Island, and I always hated the stench of the Tonawanda refineries, which you can smell if you live on the south end of the Island.

Just my .02!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:13 PM

259 posts, read 888,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coraggio View Post
Also, I grew up on the Island, and I always hated the stench of the Tonawanda refineries, which you can smell if you live on the south end of the Island.

Just my .02!
The smell, while not totally gone, is much less then it was in the 60's & 70's.
Might not even make it across the river.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:49 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,962 times
Grand Island is the most easily distinctive town in the world! You can see exactly the town borders from outer space - because of it's island between Lake Erie and Ontario - being parted with the Niagara River. - just a side note!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area