Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will Buffalo's population be in 2030?
300,000+ 5 16.13%
280,000-299,999 1 3.23%
260,000-279,999 6 19.35%
240,000-259,999 2 6.45%
220,000-239,999 3 9.68%
200,000-219,999 6 19.35%
Below 200,000 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:54 PM

213 posts, read 448,965 times

Advertisements

What do you think the population of Buffalo NY will be in 2030? I'm expecting it to be gaining population, but be around 245,000. Opinions please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 10:47 AM

14 posts, read 30,741 times
Well considering the population loss has been stemming in recent years, I would expect it to be at least 250,000. Most of the 2010 Census loss occurred in the first half of the decade. Second half it was reduced to a trickle, down to an estimated loss of 200 in 2008. Add to the fact the during the so-called "double dip" recession, Buffalo has been been gaining several thousand private sector jobs a month, it looks like we're in good shape heading into the near future. This is despite continuous cutbacks to government jobs. We're expected to be fully recovered from recession job losses by early next year.

Long term, I think Buffalo is positioned with prime resources for a comeback. With fuel prices rising and water shortages expected from aquifer overusuage in the south and southwest (especially Texas, and pretty much any city depending on the Colorado River), Great Lakes cities have the water resources and urban bones to support a large population once again.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:00 PM

25 posts, read 52,324 times
I think it will be about 225,000. I like the optimism and REALLY hope I am wrong, but the city of Buffalo just keeps bleeding population, and in both census 2000 and census 2010 we lost over 10% of the population over each decade!

My understanding was that the census 2010 numbers came as a big shock, because it was expected we'd be closer to 270,000. So is it true that we really lost most population in the early part of the decade?? (I hope you're right, but just never heard that)

The next ten years will be pretty revealing. I'd be pretty happy if we see 6-7% population loss over the next decade. If it's still close to 8-10% then that really is pretty bad.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:30 AM

744 posts, read 1,767,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown216 View Post
, Buffalo has been been gaining several thousand private sector jobs a month, it looks like we're in good shape heading into the near future. .
The job gains are based upon year over year comparisons not month over month. You cannot really compare month to month job increases or decreases because there are too many seasonal fluctuation to give a valid comparison. Thinks such as school breaks and Christmas hirings/layoffs really skew the month to month changes.

That said the Buffalo area still has thousands fewer jobs now than in 2008.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:56 AM

14 posts, read 30,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
The job gains are based upon year over year comparisons not month over month. You cannot really compare month to month job increases or decreases because there are too many seasonal fluctuation to give a valid comparison. Thinks such as school breaks and Christmas hirings/layoffs really skew the month to month changes.

That said the Buffalo area still has thousands fewer jobs now than in 2008.
If you look at the following data Buffalo-Niagara Falls, NY Economy at a Glance
it shows that year-over-year employment numbers have been up every month this year at similar rates, or for most months, above the national growth rate. Buffalo is expected to be fully recovered at current rates by the next year to pre 2008 employement levels.

I can't find it now but another BLS page will show that average incomes have been on the rise for most occupations in the Buffalo MSA also. Nothing wild, but we are outpacing the country as a whole.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,967 times
Buffalo simply does not have the attractions of a big city. Continuing to lose population in the future could end up being a good thing for buffalo. then they could start from scratch.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:50 AM

719 posts, read 1,552,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyobball View Post
Buffalo simply does not have the attractions of a big city. Continuing to lose population in the future could end up being a good thing for buffalo. then they could start from scratch.
Have you been to Buffalo or a "big city"?
What attactions is it lacking? I lived in Buffalo and now live in Dallas. More to do in Buffalo. I also travel extensively for work and spend considerable time in Chicago, Boston, NYC, SF, LA, PHX, Orlando, Miami, Montreal to name a few. Buffalo, from an attractions standpoint, Buffalo/WNY compares favorably with all major cities I travel to. A couple things I can think of is Buffalo doesn't have a robust subway/light-rail system compared to NYC, CHI, Montreal or SF. That said, it doesn't have the type of traffic that makes public transportation more of a need in these other cities I mentioned. Then there's the airport. It's small but very efficient. Many direct flights to other "big cities" on east coast.
Buffalo has major NFL & NHL. Great theatre and arts options.
It's got everything I think of when I think of a big city. Maybe the slower-paced, friendly people throw you off?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Have you been to Buffalo or a "big city"?
What attactions is it lacking? I lived in Buffalo and now live in Dallas. More to do in Buffalo. I also travel extensively for work and spend considerable time in Chicago, Boston, NYC, SF, LA, PHX, Orlando, Miami, Montreal to name a few. Buffalo, from an attractions standpoint, Buffalo/WNY compares favorably with all major cities I travel to. A couple things I can think of is Buffalo doesn't have a robust subway/light-rail system compared to NYC, CHI, Montreal or SF. That said, it doesn't have the type of traffic that makes public transportation more of a need in these other cities I mentioned. Then there's the airport. It's small but very efficient. Many direct flights to other "big cities" on east coast.
Buffalo has major NFL & NHL. Great theatre and arts options.
It's got everything I think of when I think of a big city. Maybe the slower-paced, friendly people throw you off?
In all fairness it doesn't have the traffic of a "big city" & its easier to get tickets for sporting events, concerts, etc here than in a place like Dallas, Chicago, Philly (and usually cheaper)

Old 09-15-2011, 07:57 AM

719 posts, read 1,552,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
In all fairness it doesn't have the traffic of a "big city" & its easier to get tickets for sporting events, concerts, etc here than in a place like Dallas, Chicago, Philly (and usually cheaper)
JBlake - I did point out in my post that "Buffalo doesn't have a robust subway/light-rail system compared to NYC, CHI, Montreal or SF. That said, it doesn't have the type of traffic that makes public transportation more of a need in these other cities I mentioned."

I didn't think about the costs of tix to events. You are right, especially for NFL games. Buffalo has to be one of the lowest of all 32 NFL cities. I'm looking at tix to Cowboys v Bills here in Dallas. Very high. Not too sure I'm going to pull the trigger on them as a result. We'll see. Oh and Go Bills!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area