Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times

Advertisements

As everyone has said, there is no reason to think twice about living on $70K a year in this area. It will be easily done!

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:58 PM

879 posts, read 1,630,631 times
Yes for 70K you will do quite well. I would second the idea of living in Buffalo. For what you save in taxes and mortgage you could easily send kids to high end private schools. The cost of taxes and unnecessarily expensive real estate makes city living a deal. My expenditures are low but even on $50K (single breadwinner) we are able to sock away about $5G / year (and that's with 3 kids).

Old 11-02-2011, 08:06 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just to be clear on Time Warner, if you have a package, I believe the rates stay the same.
We have a Time Warner package. We have had it for years for internet and tv. In the same mail as our bill, we got a second envelope to tell us to "go green" (not going to happen; I put nothing about $$$ on computer). We also got a 3rd, telling us our bill would go up and we'd still be "saving $19 with (our) package".

I do not know who does their math, but on my bill, it says "you save $39 by having this package".... now, the new rate is going to raise me $10 and I will be saving only $19? Huh? $10 + $19 = $29.... so where is the other $10 of the $39 I am saving now???

No, Time Warner is starting the scare campaign to make us fight for our stations again as they do annually and I guarantee my bill will go up and I will get more stations deleted [and filled in with inane fake reality shows and other shows of nonsense] = CHEAP purchases.

If I had an option for decent cable, I'd take it. I only would get really slow speed Verizon where I live. Cripe, with new developments, TWC had to add a "booster" on my line which is always plugged into my electric... they told me we "live too far out". Baloney. What was fine for years is now so slow we need a booster -- the only thing different is more people before the internet gets to my house

Buyer beware

Old 11-03-2011, 04:39 PM

21 posts, read 127,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Where is the job located? Do you want to be close to the job or close in the city ( doesn't much matter if the job is in the downtown area). Do you want an apt or a condo?
The job is located in Erie Basin Marina. We are not sure if we want to be in Buffalo downtown, when we went there for interview and took a drive around, it looked very very shady. I am sure there may be different parts, but we would rather opt for a safe decent neighborhood.
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Old 11-03-2011, 04:41 PM

21 posts, read 127,821 times
Thank you all for the nice suggestions and giving us your feedback!

Old 11-03-2011, 05:26 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat Kat View Post
The job is located in Erie Basin Marina. We are not sure if we want to be in Buffalo downtown, when we went there for interview and took a drive around, it looked very very shady. I am sure there may be different parts, but we would rather opt for a safe decent neighborhood.
Allentown, Parkside, Elmwood, North Buffalo, South Buffalo (Caz Park area) & Kenmore are all affordable nice walkable inner city type neighborhoods with an easy commute to downtown. A few of the nicer yet affordable suburbs are Tonawanda, Hamburg, West Seneca & parts of Amherst (though some of Amherst can get pretty pricey).

Old 11-04-2011, 04:30 PM

879 posts, read 1,630,631 times
Actually there are some new developments by the Marina (but they are a bit pricey in my opinion). The train ride is very fast in the morning so as long as you are a quick walk to the train, you have a lot to choose from.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:56 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat Kat View Post
The marina has great condos -- if you want to pay upwards of $300K on the water.

What is good about a job in downtown is that you can easily get on a number of expressways and get out of the area: if you don't like downtown, decide where you want to be ( read the Saturday Homes section of the Buffalo News, you will find tons of houses and condos) and then go and figure the route. The metro rail will get you to S. Campus (basically, the city line) in about 15 or 20 min. and you can head east from there on roads if you want to park-and-ride. The 33 will get you from downtown to the airport area . The 190 goes north to Tonawanda, some of it goes east thru Buffalo to the Thruway. And so on and so on.... we are not a big traffic town ( nothing like NYC or any major city) even though most people are in cars. Get a map out when you get out the Saturday Homes section: find houses of interest and look up where they are.

Another thing: If you are a "stay at home" wife and "studying" are you enrolled in college here? Which one? You and your husband might want to look into living near that area (college) and also to anything you might want to be involved in (like a church, etc.)

Get suggestions from your husband's jobs HR dept. as well

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 11-07-2011 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-27-2013, 03:49 PM

7 posts, read 14,553 times
Buffalo is cheeeep youll do well i lived in buffalo as a family of four and made just over halfe that and lived well utilitys are the bigest cost

Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,916,864 times
spelling aside, the above post is truth...if the term "30k millionaire" was coined in Houston (or was it Phoenix? They probably both claim it), Buffalo might as well claim 20k millionaire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area