Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 AM

101 posts, read 247,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
I'd have to say it's both really. Part of the reason so many of us have developed the "me first" attitude can definitely be attributed to corp america. My smartphone alerts me that me boss sent me an urgent email at 7:00 PM and I'm thinking about working on that while I should be done for the day. So then I say, no, I'll do it in the AM. Then I'm on my way to work in a hurry because I know that urgent email has been waiting since the previous evening. Then I get stuck in traffic because so many more of us commute from further away suburbs than ever. Then I get angry because I think to myself "I'm paying tolls for the priviledge of driving on this road so I should be able to fly right through" so while I'm tapping the brakes, I'm trying to balance my coffee and tap out a reply to my boss saying I'm running late but will work on urgent email as soon as I get in. Then I rear-end the person in front of me while trying to correct a spelling error because my smart phone keeps making incorrect auto-spelling corrections. As I'm pulled over assessing the damage my boss replies back and says nevermind, it took too long and he did it himself. I launch into a rage and accuse person I hit of stopping short. They tell me they're late for extremely important meeting now because of me. Full on white-collar brawl ensues. I bust an iPad over his head and get arrested. Consequently get fired. Wife leaves for guy who is home-office based.
All this could've been avoided if email was unavailable outside of office!!! LMAO!!

^^ this...lol

Seriously though, back when stores, businesses and whatnot closed at a normal time, none of this 24 hours a day, seven days a week thing people were alot more relaxed. They had a home life, when they left work, it stayed at work. Nowadays, you get emails, text messages and cell calls at all hours and are expected to answer them asap. You are expected to take that cell phone or labtop or any other device your work may have given you on vacation. It's absolutely absurred the demands that are put on us these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
I'd have to say it's both really. Part of the reason so many of us have developed the "me first" attitude can definitely be attributed to corp america. My smartphone alerts me that me boss sent me an urgent email at 7:00 PM and I'm thinking about working on that while I should be done for the day. So then I say, no, I'll do it in the AM. Then I'm on my way to work in a hurry because I know that urgent email has been waiting since the previous evening. Then I get stuck in traffic because so many more of us commute from further away suburbs than ever. Then I get angry because I think to myself "I'm paying tolls for the priviledge of driving on this road so I should be able to fly right through" so while I'm tapping the brakes, I'm trying to balance my coffee and tap out a reply to my boss saying I'm running late but will work on urgent email as soon as I get in. Then I rear-end the person in front of me while trying to correct a spelling error because my smart phone keeps making incorrect auto-spelling corrections. As I'm pulled over assessing the damage my boss replies back and says nevermind, it took too long and he did it himself. I launch into a rage and accuse person I hit of stopping short. They tell me they're late for extremely important meeting now because of me. Full on white-collar brawl ensues. I bust an iPad over his head and get arrested. Consequently get fired. Wife leaves for guy who is home-office based.
All this could've been avoided if email was unavailable outside of office!!! LMAO!!
I see everyone on Facebook, Twitter, or just plain texting these days. I suppose the business side is there as well.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:00 PM

196 posts, read 442,976 times
BigD now thats funny.

My transition here has gone very well. In june it will be 3 years. I met a lot of friendly people. And not so friendly people. Higher up the food chain (read salary), they dont get less friendlier, maybe just more private.

My neighbors are nice, but there are a few I still havent met. I havent heard a peep out of the guy across the street since I moved in. On the other hand, I can belly up to a bar (like abbey square, or razzines, or 4stallions)and have a great conversation with the folks nearby.

I am amazed at the number of years folks stay with a company. My chain of command at my workplace, is made of a 32 year, 34 year, and 35 year employees. Thats says a lot about the organization. It also tells me my opportunities for avdvancement are limited to either coronaries or getting hit by a bus. That doesnt bode well for guys like me.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,532 times
got to know a lot about the city..

Old 02-23-2012, 03:11 PM

56 posts, read 163,061 times
OP: You put into words something that I've been trying to get across. Yes, everyone here is about helping themselves first, and even trying to put others down to make themselves look better. It's got nothing to do with corporations. Corporations are in every city and every country, yet most areas don't have this mentality. It has probably more to do with insecurity due to Buffalo's perennially ailing economy, and the fact that people truly don't thrive here, they merely survive. I've lived in a lot of cities, and this is by far the one with the most negative and selfish people.

What I'm saying is, I get it, it's not just you. I've lived in cities big and small, and maybe it's a Yankee thing, but I find the attitude in Buffalo to be generally sour and unpleasant. It might be this way across the rest of the North though.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deal With It View Post
Buffalonians are a-holes. I, too, am originally from the west coast (Oakland) and will be moving back home this summer. NY sucks. Moving here in 2005 was the worst decision of my life.
Same year I moved here. Heh. I agree completely. Even though I don't like the Bay area (I only went once on business and cut the trip short) I think that the easy going attitude could do Buffalonians some good.

I bet you make decent money too, because most of those who are leaving are talented and make more than average wages.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:17 PM

5 posts, read 5,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH_Finally View Post
Same year I moved here. Heh. I agree completely. Even though I don't like the Bay area (I only went once on business and cut the trip short) I think that the easy going attitude could do Buffalonians some good.

I bet you make decent money too, because most of those who are leaving are talented and make more than average wages.
I guess you could say I make decent money, though I could make a lot more in other parts of the country.

When you consider the high taxes here, cost of living isn't that much cheaper over the long run.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deal With It View Post
I guess you could say I make decent money, though I could make a lot more in other parts of the country.

When you consider the high taxes here, cost of living isn't that much cheaper over the long run.
It's not cheaper at all, as long as you aren't in an ultra expensive market. If you move to pretty much any midwestern or Southern city you'll have more money in your pocket than Buffalo.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 AM

879 posts, read 1,630,119 times
Not true really. I lived in Maryland for a while. $750 / mo (back in 2001) got me 400 sq. ft. Postage stamp. No curbside pickup and my neighbors had a ton of rotting garbage next to their house. The nearest store was 20 minutes away and that town was about 1/2 the size of Ellicottville. Gas was nearly the same price, commute times were awful and the place was expensive as all get out. That's just my experience.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:29 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Not true really. I lived in Maryland for a while. $750 / mo (back in 2001) got me 400 sq. ft. Postage stamp. No curbside pickup and my neighbors had a ton of rotting garbage next to their house. The nearest store was 20 minutes away and that town was about 1/2 the size of Ellicottville. Gas was nearly the same price, commute times were awful and the place was expensive as all get out. That's just my experience.
I'm from Baltimore & you actually had a good deal by Baltimore/DC standards.

The poster from Oakland complaining about COL in Buffalo is ridiculous.

State sales tax is basically even.

Income tax in NY is lower for middle class ......

Personal income tax in NY - 4%-8.97% (8.97% only kicks in when you make above $500K)

Personal income tax in Cali - 1%-9.3% (1% is for those making under $7316/year, highest tax rate is for those making above $48,029)

Property taxes don't even matter because housing costs so much more in any Cali metro than it does in Buffalo. That beign said in NY you may qualify for the STAR program which exempts up to $50,000 of your homes value, the best exemption in California is only for $7,000.

Taxes by State: Alabama to Iowa

Taxes by State: New York to Wyoming

......... and you don't even want to compare crime between Buffalo & Oakland

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 05:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area