Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:09 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccrown View Post
Thank you so much Buffalo Transplant!! We just booked a room at the Hampton Inn EA! Great idea for my husband to drive to new office at rush hour time to see how it goes. Will also check out Lancaster too! I am definitely not opposed to a newer home....I just need trees! it seems like a lot of newer neighborhoods here (Pittsburgh) cut down all the trees to develop land for new homes. Buffalo transplant, have you noticed if there are many stay-at-home moms in Lancaster or EA? I don't work and need some fellow mom friends!! One other question for you: can you give me your thoughts on Hamburg? How does it compare to EA and Lancaster? Is the village more desirable than the outlying areas? Thank again so much!!

You are right, most new builders level it and then the town plants little trees later. Ot, you find a new house built in an old area ( that always is nice) -- but for lots of trees? All around? You need the villages, old areas.... Villages around here have trees, but many were decimated in the "October Surprise" (2006) -- google it to see the devastation on old trees -- the storm hit with huge wet snow and the leaves were on the trees. [Our driveway had thigh high snow; by the time we cut branches off, they were 8-10 feet long for over 100 ft. of frontage piled 6 feet high. All of our trees have come back and have new growth on old ones; we live on almost 4 acres] Note:THIS WAS A TOTAL FREAK STORM! Last winter we had virtually no snow., also a freak occurrence.

I don't know a thing about Hamburg other than that it does have a village and it appears walkable and the downtown is large. The rest ? It has a mall and lots of developments. More like EA than Lancaster.

"Desirable" is relative; we choose a rural road backed up to a farmer's field with property ( bought it over 40 years ago, raised our 2 kids here -- now in their 30s -- and they moved to closer in burbs); to us, that was desirable. There were lots of kids when our girls grew up. Not so many now, simply as there are older couples still here (like us). However, lots of nice homes are here and younger people moving in. We liked the schols here; we have a nice area and decent taxes -- but that is relevant as well as we are not in a village (no additional village taxes) nor do we have sewers (we have septic and a leach field / no sewer taxes / so I guess we "pay" in our common sense maintenance to keep it working well and it does)

I suggest you do a few things looking at property: google the house from the air and see what is near it. Also, go and look up the house taxes on the internet. [Erie County taxes are usually online; ours are thru the town website.] Assume the house (unless new) will be reassessed on sale and your taxes will probably go up. Go to the building dept. in the town you choose and check the FEMA flood maps; they were just redone for most of the area and many houses added in flood zones and some taken out ( you need flood insurance with a mortgage). Find out if you pay for garbage on your own (in Clarence, they need to contract for it, but most towns just put it in the tax bill.). If you choose a corner lot, remember in NY State, that means you technically have 2 front yards ( on anything facing the street) and if you plan on fences, it affects where you can put them. Also, ask the realtor about easements (like utility, gas, cable) on your property. Find out how well the house is insulated. Gas heat is cheaper than other kinds... like electric. Our electric is fairly high around here. Realtors don't always tell you all of this. I just think of all of this as things we have learned along the way and which are common sense. Find out the market values in an area and research the house.

Eileen also had a good comment: Elma and also Marilla are in your price range, have good schools and are a place we'd have gone if it wasn't too pricy for us when we were young. No villages though... But Marilla has a tiny "corner" with a country store and a "village", I guess.

You and your husband need to drive around and see the area. We all have things we like here and promote on the Board, but you will see what you like and it will grab you. Everyone is different. I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 06:22 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
I wonder if Alden and Akron would also work too?

Also, this may help in terms of seeing how walkable certain communities are(Here's an example); Walk Score of east aurora ny

Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM

28 posts, read 58,617 times
Hugely helpful information, thank you again!! -Susan

Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Akron is lovely, but no in the price range she wants. Nice small town. Living in Newstead near Akron would be nice. Great public library, new, in Akron. Beautiful Akron Falls Park. However, a longer commute. Same with Alden, and it is even smaller. I live midway between Alden and Lancaster and I love both. Alden? Big into old time parades and bbqs and things at the town gazebeo, but Lancaster is as well. Long commutes; we did 30 min minimum for years, and we hit the 33 by the airport to shorten it.

You have to be able to deal with the commute.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:17 PM

879 posts, read 1,630,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
genoobie, can you ever see beyond Buffalo? The OP is asking about EA. The OP wants info on EA. Please don't hijack it with Buffalo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, I am a bit insulted. The OP mentioned a number of options. Yes, Buffalo was not among those. Just because you would not choose to live there doesn't mean that the amenities shouldn't be mentioned. The OP mentioned walking to shopping, dining, etc. and I simply commented on those. Someone mentioned house prices and I commented on that as well. I hardly consider the information I mentioned as hijacking a thread.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,887 times
Default Snowfall annually

Thinking of moving to east aurora from Long Island,n.y. How much snowfall do you get?

Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,833 times
It's hard to tell you exactly what to expect in terms of Winter snowfall because it can vary quite a bit year to year. (And within the season - This weekend we're having 60 degree weather! Just a couple weeks ago there was over a foot of snow on the ground all over Western NY.) East Aurora is located at the Northern end of the Buffalo Southtowns, and the Southtowns do get considerably more snow than the Northtowns. I'm sure you already know East Aurora will have far more snow than L.I. About 90" of snow each Winter would be normal for East Aurora, but certainly last Winter (2011 / 2012) the town got nowhere near that amount. It's truly a lovely town. If you do decide to make the move - Welcome!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Actually, I am a bit insulted. The OP mentioned a number of options. Yes, Buffalo was not among those. Just because you would not choose to live there doesn't mean that the amenities shouldn't be mentioned. The OP mentioned walking to shopping, dining, etc. and I simply commented on those. Someone mentioned house prices and I commented on that as well. I hardly consider the information I mentioned as hijacking a thread.
I agree with BTP ..you have a bias toward the city and pump it every chance you get. It does get a little tiresome.. ever heard of johnny one note?

Old 01-12-2013, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,887 times
Thank you for your reply K9 Coach

Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 PM

417 posts, read 867,333 times
Love EA....im from orchard park and fom time to time we go from grand island down to EA just to walk the village and eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area