Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 PM

10 posts, read 18,253 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Buffalo area this spring. After visiting the city and suburbs this weekend I have a good idea of the areas that I like. I did not, however, look at Grand Island and today came across some apartments there. Seems like a safe quiet area close to Buffalo and Canada.

What can anyone tell me about Grand Island for a young family with a small child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 PM

879 posts, read 1,632,095 times
Good luck on your move and welcome! Depends on where you work and how much driving you wish to do. GI is both safe and quiet. Windy and some mosquitoes I think. There was a problem with the lease and the native americans but I think this has been resolved. I personally love it here in WNY. I live in Buffalo proper with my wife and three sons. If you have any specific questions please ask.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 AM

341 posts, read 684,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Good luck on your move and welcome! Depends on where you work and how much driving you wish to do. GI is both safe and quiet. Windy and some mosquitoes I think. There was a problem with the lease and the native americans but I think this has been resolved. I personally love it here in WNY. I live in Buffalo proper with my wife and three sons. If you have any specific questions please ask.
What he said. The only sticking point about GI (And, many people think the reason GI is so safe and quiet), is a toll to get on the island. It's $1/trip, and adds up if you're commuting.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,819,190 times
Personally, the one reason I never liked Grand Island is the travel over the bridges, esp. in winter when they ice. You have to do Thruway, you need a commuter pass (makes it cheap for Grand Island people) and while it is lovely there, you have to deal with the winter commute and summer traffic. You also need to deal with the frequest repairs on a vbridge ( you should tell people ther5e are 4: 2 at the south, 2 at the north and somewtimes one is entirely shut down, putting all travel onto one bridge ( using 3 of them)

Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 PM

417 posts, read 868,000 times
I moved from Orchard Park to GI to buy my first house. Ive been here 4 years and love it, im actually even looking to move up and stay on GI. DOnt worry about tolls, if you are a resident its 9 cents per trip as opposed to $1, so its negligible. I get to work downtown in 20 minutes, 15 if i speed. All highway, the drive is perfect, its a complete misconception that the bridges are bad, in 4 years ive never been held up in traffic because of them. Its nice to have so many marinas and boats everywhere in the summer, there is beaver island park with a beach at the south, and buckhorn park nature preserve to the north. I am 5 mins from niagara falls and the factory outlets and 10 mins from amherst/ niagara falls blvd area. Its a very nice place to live and very secluded and wooded.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 PM

252 posts, read 650,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post
What he said. The only sticking point about GI (And, many people think the reason GI is so safe and quiet), is a toll to get on the island. It's $1/trip, and adds up if you're commuting.
I think the bridge toll is only 10 cents or so for residents of the island.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:57 AM

417 posts, read 868,000 times
As I said, its 9 cents, ive been paying it for 4 yrs on my ezpass statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area