Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:09 PM

879 posts, read 1,629,954 times

Advertisements

Hamburg school board seems to be in a bit of a mess. Yet more evidence that things are not what they seem in the pastoral and idyllic surroundings of Buffalo.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...fears-20140302

Yes GWGirl, what will articles like this do to our "property values"? As if the "good schools" debate had ANYTHING to do with education.

Last edited by genoobie; 03-03-2014 at 07:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 09:11 PM

223 posts, read 732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Hamburg school board seems to be in a bit of a mess. Yet more evidence that things are not what they seem in the pastoral and idyllic surroundings of Buffalo.

Internal strife increases as Hamburg School Board members air fears - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Yes GWGirl, what will articles like this do to our "property values"? As if the "good schools" debate had ANYTHING to do with education.
Wow.. If you were really asking a question and not trolling I'd answer but since you're not I won't. It's getting harder and harder to take you seriously.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:01 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Jeepin4us -- couldn't rep you. You deserve a double though.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:08 AM

It was simply meant as a reply to gwgirl80's post in the Buffalo News comments section where she sarcastically stated (paraphrasing) that articles like this will encourage home-buying in Hamburg. My point is that the marketing of various hamlets, villages and towns is just that. Marketing. Historically, the News has done a pretty good job (and some posters on the MB have reinforced this notion) that Buffalo cannot be place to raise a family. Perhaps you cannot believe everything you read and ought to think critically about what is printed (including statistics). Education statistics are a tool used in this marketing and have little to do with actually being educated. So meh, spare me the dismissive posting about taking me seriously, I really couldn't care.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:28 PM

243 posts, read 220,670 times
I wouldn't raise my kids in the city. Are city schools bad , well the graduation rate says it all.If you want to argue its the parenting or lack of which creates that stastic , well that's just another reason I wouldn't raise a family there. The schools aren't even in my top 5 ' why I wouldn't live in the city'.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:21 AM

Yes, because clearly if schools simply rubber stamped kids out the door then we could call them a success because they would have high graduation rates. Graduated = educated? Plenty of educated people never graduated high school.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:48 AM

243 posts, read 220,670 times
So your saying all the surrounding suburban schools , or even the world , are pushing their students through but buffalo is the one on the right track. It must set such a high level and not let any slip by?

" Graduated = educated? Plenty of educated people never graduated high school." Did you really just say that?

Old 03-06-2014, 09:41 AM

223 posts, read 732,136 times
Seriously genoobie? Do you ever read your posts before you hit Submit Reply? For every "educated" person who didn't even complete high school there's probably a hundred of these poor kids working at some minimum wage dead end job because they lack even a high school education.

In today's job market when even some entry level jobs require a 4 year degree why wouldn't you want the benefit of a high school education?!! It's so competitive out there the more education you can get in anything the better! How would anyone possibly dispute that is beyond me.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:47 PM

Really? Because while it is true that getting better credentials MIGHT get you a better job, there are many college grads that are unable to find work, in addition to a number of unemployed non-grads. The economy is simply not generating jobs the way it used to and certainly not many of the college grad type. Meanwhile, there are many jobs (granted poorly paying ones) for high school grads. Students can get a GED should their work require it I suppose.

While it is true that traditional employment seeks more credentialing (based on antiquated notions of credentialed = educated), because credentialing requires $$. That way employers can screen out a whole financial class of employee and depress wages for those who are not credentialed. Educational institutions are largely there to ensure social reproduction. Poor kids do poorly on standardized tests and thus are unlikely to find paths to higher paying jobs wealthier students of credentialed parents, not so much.

Why do employers require a high school graduation? Many employers will say that the high school diploma is worth very little these days. It is a sad state of affairs when credentialed passes for educated.

You're insisting then that the only path to becoming educated is through formal schooling? That seems fairly narrow and misguided. Many substantial scientific advances came from those who did not pass through formal schooling until fairly recently. Granted, access to expensive equipment ought to require that potential candidates go through a period of an apprenticeship before the keys are turned over. Try to open your mind about being educated versus credentialed. Sometimes they are synonymous, sometimes they are not.

Sure, Isaac Newton, Galileo Galilei, Huygens, and on and on did not have much formal school until their teens. Yet somehow, against all odds of not having a high school diploma, proved not only to be educated but pioneering. We have lost that spirit of renaissance. We give our kids pats on the back when they can basically spit back a formulaic recipe that passes for "knowledge". I hope to teach my kids better than that. I hope to convince my kids that learning goes beyond school and they should appreciate the natural world around them. That while money can be a useful tool it is not all they should strive for (as many of the kids I teach will likely see far less of it than their suburban peers). So, meh, graduated != educated. Plenty of high school grads are capable of very little and some who don't graduate are capable of quite a lot.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:41 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Really? Because while it is true that getting better credentials MIGHT get you a better job, there are many college grads that are unable to find work, in addition to a number of unemployed non-grads. The economy is simply not generating jobs the way it used to and certainly not many of the college grad type. Meanwhile, there are many jobs (granted poorly paying ones) for high school grads. Students can get a GED should their work require it I suppose.

While it is true that traditional employment seeks more credentialing (based on antiquated notions of credentialed = educated), because credentialing requires $$. That way employers can screen out a whole financial class of employee and depress wages for those who are not credentialed. Educational institutions are largely there to ensure social reproduction. Poor kids do poorly on standardized tests and thus are unlikely to find paths to higher paying jobs wealthier students of credentialed parents, not so much.

Why do employers require a high school graduation? Many employers will say that the high school diploma is worth very little these days. It is a sad state of affairs when credentialed passes for educated.

You're insisting then that the only path to becoming educated is through formal schooling? That seems fairly narrow and misguided. Many substantial scientific advances came from those who did not pass through formal schooling until fairly recently. Granted, access to expensive equipment ought to require that potential candidates go through a period of an apprenticeship before the keys are turned over. Try to open your mind about being educated versus credentialed. Sometimes they are synonymous, sometimes they are not.

Sure, Isaac Newton, Galileo Galilei, Huygens, and on and on did not have much formal school until their teens. Yet somehow, against all odds of not having a high school diploma, proved not only to be educated but pioneering. We have lost that spirit of renaissance. We give our kids pats on the back when they can basically spit back a formulaic recipe that passes for "knowledge". I hope to teach my kids better than that. I hope to convince my kids that learning goes beyond school and they should appreciate the natural world around them. That while money can be a useful tool it is not all they should strive for (as many of the kids I teach will likely see far less of it than their suburban peers). So, meh, graduated != educated. Plenty of high school grads are capable of very little and some who don't graduate are capable of quite a lot.
You are correct that the whole credentialing thing is B.S. and other alternatives should be available; however right now, if you want to survive in this world and you don't have any great individual talents, then you have to play the game. The only other option is self-employment, which not all have the self-discipline nor start-up money to do.

Of course learning goes on beyond formal education. To survive in this world you have to constantly adapt in one way or another. I don't think people are disagreeing with you on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area