Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 06:24 PM

93,313 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Between these 2 private schools, would you say that they are prestigious or exclusive? If so, is one more so than the other or would you say that they are about equal in that regard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 06:38 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
I think Park is more about academics while Nichols is more about "Society", so it's hard to say which one is more "exclusive". They have different criteria for entrance.

Nichols is the traditional choice for Buffalo's movers and shakers going back to at least the early twentieth century. At one time, Buffalo's upper crust sent their elementary age kids to Elmwood Franklin for k-8 and then the boys to Nichols and the girls to Buffalo Seminary for 9-12 unless they sent off to prep schools. I think Nichols is more prestigious even today because it remains favored by Buffalo's "old wealth", the quietly wealthy descendents of Buffalo's great business dynasties. They don't dominate the business sphere like their ancestors did, but they have typical upper-crust connections that open doors all over the East.

For a very bright, creative kid, I think Park might be a better fit than Nichols. For parents with a bright kid but also an eye on social advantage, Nichols might be a better choice. For a bright, ambitious, competitive young man, maybe Canisius HS would be the best choice.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I think Park is more about academics while Nichols is more about "Society", so it's hard to say which one is more "exclusive". They have different criteria for entrance.

Nichols is the traditional choice for Buffalo's movers and shakers going back to at least the early twentieth century. At one time, Buffalo's upper crust sent their elementary age kids to Elmwood Franklin for k-8 and then the boys to Nichols and the girls to Buffalo Seminary for 9-12 unless they sent off to prep schools. I think Nichols is more prestigious even today because it remains favored by Buffalo's "old wealth", the quietly wealthy descendents of Buffalo's great business dynasties. They don't dominate the business sphere like their ancestors did, but they have typical upper-crust connections that open doors all over the East.

For a very bright, creative kid, I think Park might be a better fit than Nichols. For parents with a bright kid but also an eye on social advantage, Nichols might be a better choice. For a bright, ambitious, competitive young man, maybe Canisius HS would be the best choice.
Interesting and I can see what you are saying. Just looking at infomation on both schools, it does seem like Nichols gets more of the straight laced types, whereas Park seems to get more of a quirky, creative type of kid. I also wonder if some this depends on the proximity to each school, as Nichols is north of Delaware Park, while Park is in Snyder.

Also, would Nardin be another high end academic option for girls in the area?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-01-2015 at 07:10 AM..

Old 04-02-2015, 12:38 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting and I can see what you are saying. Just looking at infomation on both schools, it does seem like Nichols gets more of the straight laced types, whereas Park seems to get more of a quirky, creative type of kid. I also wonder if some this depends on the proximity to each school, as Nichols is north of Delaware Park, while Park is in Snyder.

Also, would Nardin be another high end academic option for girls in the area?
Yes it would. Canisius and Nardin were the choice for Catholic parents for decades. Nardin's elementary and middle schools are co-ed while the high school is for girls only. Canisius remains all male.

The religious aspects of both schools has not been greatly emphasized going back 30 years or more, and both have and have had many non-Catholics (and non-Christians, too) among their students and graduates over the decades.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,465 times
Is there anybody else who grew up near Montana st.in the 60s on this site? So many memories I would love to toss around. Golbieskis toys,wicks,bens deli. All the stores shops,delis,bakery's,clothing stores,hardware stores,and every other kind of store you can imagine up and down geneses st. I went to school 9 on bailey ave.until we moved out to west Seneca in 1970. My parents said they thought the neighborhood was getting bad then. Boy did they know something or what ??? I use to go to a p.a.l. club across from school 9. Next to the old fire house,( which is now located where the school was). Going to krabels store on burguard and doat. Henrys hamburgers on geneses and Wendy. Bens on Montana and e.ferry, wooden floors,Nicole chocolate ice cubes, my mom and dad use to send me there to buy them ciggerettes with only a note from them, I was under 10 years old, those were the days!!!!

Old 04-02-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Yes it would. Canisius and Nardin were the choice for Catholic parents for decades. Nardin's elementary and middle schools are co-ed while the high school is for girls only. Canisius remains all male.

The religious aspects of both schools has not been greatly emphasized going back 30 years or more, and both have and have had many non-Catholics (and non-Christians, too) among their students and graduates over the decades.
I personally think that sports programs are a big draw for many non Catholics at Catholic Schools like Canisius, St. Joe's, St. Francis, Timon, Cardinal O'Hara, etc. I know that Football is big with most Monsignor Martin schools that have a program. So, they may get kids from various parts of the Buffalo area and even from nearby parts of Ontario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area