Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:49 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Buffalo is of the top metros in regards to real estate affordability for Millennials: These Are the 13 Cities Where Millennials Can't Afford a Home - Bloomberg Business

This is based off of median pay for those 18-34 and the median home price in the area.

Here is the thread that brought this to my attention: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...0-largest.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 12:05 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Its nice to see quite a few high quality areas to live in the affordable range: Minneapolis, SLC, Raleigh, Charlotte, Phoenix, Austin. Though I'm not quite sure where you are affording a house on a salary of $16k, even in the bottom 5 cities (most affordable). Or if you can, would you want to?

Old 06-09-2015, 02:26 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,741 times
Please... Add all the property taxes, income taxes, sales tax, heating and electric to an equation in NYS and it's looking like s... What is the going rate for property taxes in western NY? $35.72 per $1,000? Please... There's so much more to this country than Buffalo...

Old 06-09-2015, 04:10 PM

400 posts, read 575,955 times
One thing is not totally honest about these polls. It's cheap because its crappy housing. I was able to buy my first home before 30 and working entry level jobs but it was in rough shape and I could not afford to pay for updates that my friends and family had in their homes when they purchased them out of state. I had to save and do much of the work myself, then sold it to get something better. My tax bill was $240 a month and interest was charged because it was hard coming up with the entire amount. No mortgage on the first home because I saved cash and paid it off. I also qualified for a loan of $79,000 on a double while making $8.75/h full time plus the possible rent of 500/month but the idea of one month missed rent or a major repair bill and I was screwed, so I did not take that route. I know people who did and they lost their homes.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
Please... Add all the property taxes, income taxes, sales tax, heating and electric to an equation in NYS and it's looking like s... What is the going rate for property taxes in western NY? $35.72 per $1,000? Please... There's so much more to this country than Buffalo...
You would have to consider those things in any location, but this is in relation to median pay and median home prices.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:34 AM

879 posts, read 1,631,737 times
All the people that complain (euphemism) about the higher taxes don't understand that this keeps property values relatively low and thus you don't pay as much mortgage interest and these taxes go into our communities at least.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
All the people that complain (euphemism) about the higher taxes don't understand that this keeps property values relatively low and thus you don't pay as much mortgage interest and these taxes go into our communities at least.
I think its fair to say that high property taxes and probably the weather keep prices in much of Central and Western NY pretty low.

I will also say that at least you have the option to buy a $15,000 house in Buffalo. There are also $15k homes in Syracuse, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. That's one good thing about Rust Belt cities for sure.

If you recognize that, then you also must recognize that this creates large swaths of these cities that are dumps. So, it goes both ways.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I think its fair to say that high property taxes and probably the weather keep prices in much of Central and Western NY pretty low.

I will also say that at least you have the option to buy a $15,000 house in Buffalo. There are also $15k homes in Syracuse, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. That's one good thing about Rust Belt cities for sure.

If you recognize that, then you also must recognize that this creates large swaths of these cities that are dumps. So, it goes both ways.
According to what, given that there are cold weather areas that have higher prices?

Also, aren't there swaths of all cities that are "dumps" as well?

Keep I mind that this is for the metro area, not just the city.

Syracuse wasn't on this list, by the way.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
According to what, given that there are cold weather areas that have higher prices?

Also, aren't there swaths of all cities that are "dumps" as well?

Keep I mind that this is for the metro area, not just the city.

Syracuse wasn't on this list, by the way.
If Buffalo was warmer and less snowy, you don't think there would be higher prices and more investment there? Do you really think that the cold and snow have no effect on investment?

Did I say that there weren't swaths of other cities that are bad?

I mentioned Syracuse as a comparison city. I could mention Erie or Youngstown or a host of other Rust Belt locations that also have large dumpy areas that are cheap. Think outside the box a little.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
If Buffalo was warmer and less snowy, you don't think there would be higher prices and more investment there? Do you really think that the cold and snow have no effect on investment?

Did I say that there weren't swaths of other cities that are bad?

I mentioned Syracuse as a comparison city. I could mention Erie or Youngstown or a host of other Rust Belt locations that also have large dumpy areas that are cheap. Think outside the box a little.
I'm always trying to think outside of the box and there are areas of Rust Belt cities that have perfectly fine areas. This is for the metro area anyway.

Who knows if Buffalo would see more investment if it was warmer. Why aren't people flocking to cities in Mississippi or to Birmingham? Not every warm weather city is seeing breakneck investment and there are cities that get colder weather that have high home prices and investment. So, I'm curious as to why you feel that weather plays a part in this. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area