Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 03:53 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Jacksonville is the largest city in the USA by area so trying to paint it with a single brush is deceptive. Overall I would say it has many nicer areas than any in Buffalo but also some equivalent to the East Side. I went to look at houses in Charlotte with my nephew and you get a lot of house for your money. Its #141 on your list. To try and draw any conclusions from the list is misleading. If there is an enclave of multi million dollar McMansions it will skew the list.
All of these areas have a range of homes from dirt cheap to million dollar McMansions.

That list is for the metro area, not just the city proper.

That ranking is also based on median family income and median home price(with taxes included).

I just thought that your finding was interesting given that the Jacksonville metro median home price is in the $210-230k range, while the Buffalo area’s median home price range is in the $140-147k range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 06:30 AM

6,406 posts, read 4,899,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
All of these areas have a range of homes from dirt cheap to million dollar McMansions.

That list is for the metro area, not just the city proper.

That ranking is also based on median family income and median home price(with taxes included).

I just thought that your finding was interesting given that the Jacksonville metro median home price is in the $210-230k range, while the Buffalo area’s median home price range is in the $140-147k range.
Jacksonville Metro borders the Atlantic Ocean with 84 miles of beach, Intracoastal Waterway (40 miles) and the St Johns river (60 miles) and there is some pretty pricey Real Estate there. I believe that skews the prices. You can buy a house in the sketchy areas like the East Side of Buffalo for 20k. The historic district goes for around 250-350k and up.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Jacksonville Metro borders the Atlantic Ocean with 84 miles of beach, Intracoastal Waterway (40 miles) and the St Johns river (60 miles) and there is some pretty pricey Real Estate there. I believe that skews the prices. You can buy a house in the sketchy areas like the East Side of Buffalo for 20k. The historic district goes for around 250-350k and up.
I’m sure you can find sketchy areas of Jacksonville with low home prices, while finding million dollar homes in the Williamsville and Clarence school districts, among others. You can likely find historic homes in the Parkside or Park Meadow neighborhoods for less than 250k and up. I’m sure that lakeshore homes in the Buffalo can be relatively pricy as well. So, you can flip/adjust/arrange this line of thought in the opposite way.

Jacksonville is a growing area and in turn, housing prices will increase/be higher in comparison due to demand.

I’m not even looking to argue, but this is basic common sense. This isn’t getting into the income aspect.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-08-2018 at 06:57 AM..

Old 04-08-2018, 06:57 AM

The lakeshore homes in Buffalo do not compare in any shape manner or form to the Oceanfront Mansions in Jacksonville. Have you ever been here? Its one thing to quote statistics, but another to actually be somewhere. What Buffalo lakefront areas are you referring to? I lived there for 62 years and drove up and down the lake hundreds of times and never saw more than a couple of mansions.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
The lakeshore homes in Buffalo do not compare in any shape manner or form to the Oceanfront Mansions in Jacksonville. Have you ever been here? Its one thing to quote statistics, but another to actually be somewhere. What Buffalo lakefront areas are you referring to? I lived there for 62 years and drove up and down the lake hundreds of times and never saw more than a couple of mansions.
I said relatively pricy, but you are actually kind of proving my point in terms of relatively tit for tat housing comparisons for similar types of neighborhoods for each area.

Age is another aspect to consider as well.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I said relatively pricy, but you are actually kind of proving my point in terms of relatively tit for tat housing comparisons for similar types of neighborhoods for each area.
Please tell me what areas of the Buffalo Metro waterfront you are referring to.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Please tell me what areas of the Buffalo Metro waterfront you are referring to.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ith_waterfront
https://www.zillow.com/erie-county-ny/waterfront/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/?search...:true%7D%7D%7D

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ith_waterfront

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-08-2018 at 07:27 AM..

Old 04-08-2018, 07:30 AM

Not to belabor the point but Buffalo's waterfront is a shameful waste of a beautiful natural resource. What does the Buffalo waterfront housing market consist of? The site of the former Bethlehem Steel plant, a couple of condo developments downtown, the I-190 cutting off access, a bunch of rundown commercial areas and not much else. I can't find anything in those links you provided that looks anything like a nice waterfront property.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:14 PM

63 posts, read 55,375 times
Quote:
Not to belabor the point but Buffalo's waterfront is a shameful waste of a beautiful natural resource. What does the Buffalo waterfront housing market consist of? The site of the former Bethlehem Steel plant, a couple of condo developments downtown, the I-190 cutting off access, a bunch of rundown commercial areas and not much else. I can't find anything in those links you provided that looks anything like a nice waterfront property.
Also Buffalo's Waterfront for 7 or 8 months a year is a frozen tundra & resembles Barrow AK
and the Buffalo River has dangerous high levels of PCB's & High Levels of Lead and yet people canoe & boat in it. ?? It was just on PBS and theirs Love Canals all over Buffalo and lots of people are sick and are having health problems and the local government and local media won't even talk about It. I just seen it on PBS Google it & search youtube and put in Buffalo toxin dump, Hickory woods, old East Delevan Axle Plant, Buffalo River 100's of articles & videos that are less then a year or 2 old

Old 04-09-2018, 11:12 AM

10 posts, read 7,209 times
Man I love how whenever a discussion of Buffalo being a decent place to live develops on this forum it dissolves into nonsensical arguments about property values and taxes really quickly. There is more value to an area than how much you pay in taxes or what the square footage of a house is. I left because the cultural institutions are weak the city is not that vibrant and I was reaching the limit of what I could do with my degree in the area. If the albright knox is the only prestigious gallery around and there is absolutely no diversity in the arts scene I'm not interested in staying. Oh and it's filled with terrible music and drunks. That's why I left. I live in a much more expensive city now. If I seriously cared about taxes and property values I would have stayed and lived a much more boring life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area