Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 01:14 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,084,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I may not like Cuomo, but I respect him. He doesn't suffer fools. He doesn't kiss-up to hucksters. He understands there are consequences to his words and actions. He runs a tight ship with competent people. He tries to strike a balance among all NYers (which always makes someone unhappy). He tries to demonstrate respect to all races, religions, and ethnicities, and doesn't go out of his way to divide NYers between "us" and "them" (although there are always people everywhere that feel like the "them"). He knows how to balance a budget, and that he cannot just cut taxes without losses to services and impacts to society. He was the only governor since Rockefeller that actually paid attention to Buffalo and backed it up with cash.

He is dealing with new problems and over 200 years of legacy issues in the state, and the childish thoughts that a new governor could suddenly make the issues go away is absurd.

HaHa. I got a chuckle out of that. Where's the back-up for your claims? For starters, he proudly proclaimed to a large swath of residents "You don't belong in NY".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 02:10 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnny View Post
Moving out in approx 8 mos heading for NC - New York is just not the same anymore, as had been predicted some time ago its for the very poor or very rich.
Going to Charlotte?

Old 07-25-2020, 02:50 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
HaHa. I got a chuckle out of that. Where's the back-up for your claims? For starters, he proudly proclaimed to a large swath of residents "You don't belong in NY".
I will answer your dismissive response.

Politicians who want to take away the rights of others, and that desire to HURT others - should have no place in determining the laws of NY. THAT's what Cuomo was actually talking about.

Here is the NY Post quote from Cuomo:
Cuomo said Friday that members of the GOP with “extreme” views are creating an identity crisis for their party and represent a bigger worry than Democrats such as himself.
“Their problem isn’t me and the Democrats; their problem is themselves,” the governor said on Albany’s The Capitol Pressroom radio show.

“Who are they? Right to life, pro-assault weapons, anti-gay — if that’s who they are, they have no place in the state of New York because that’s not who New Yorkers are.”

He added that moderate Republicans, such as those in the state Senate, “have a place in their state.”
So who are "they?"
  • Politicians who want to take away the rights of women to control their own bodies.
  • Politicians who want to take away the rights of LGBT people to be equivalent to all others.
  • Politicians who believe in an unlimited right to own any weapon they want, in unlimited quantities.

Before you go about spouting religious or 2nd amendment interpretation: Jesus and Christianity is not in the Constitution; "when life begins" is a philosophical question which differs among religions and cultures; and "well regulated" is referenced in the 2nd Amendment (SAFE was upheld in Federal Court).
  • You are still free to NOT have an abortion - the state won't force you to have one.
  • You are still free to NOT marry someone of your own gender - the state doesn't tell you who to marry.
  • You are still free to protect yourself, hunt, and sport shoot - EVERY state has laws and restrictions on ownership and possession

Last edited by RocketSci; 07-25-2020 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-25-2020, 03:17 PM

6,406 posts, read 4,899,454 times
^^ spoken like a true NYer ^^

Old 07-25-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
^^ spoken like a true NYer ^^
Thanks - I was afraid some of the Texas BS I'd been stepping in had dragged its way back with me.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:26 PM

13 posts, read 10,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Going to Charlotte?
. Leland - but looking forward to visiting Charlotte

Old 07-25-2020, 07:37 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times
Lived in Charlotte area for six years. The winters are nicer than WNY and cheaper.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:43 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Reading the NYC forums - posters there for the most part aren't happy with Cuomo - but there are enough NYC people that love him. With so many escaping NYC due to the pandemic and rioting - maybe the tides will change - but I doubt it.
Not likely. In fact it will strengthen his position.

The people leaving are the ones voting against him. The more anti Cuomo people that leave, the fewer that remain to vote against him.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:47 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I may not like Cuomo, but I respect him. He doesn't suffer fools. He doesn't kiss-up to hucksters. He understands there are consequences to his words and actions. He runs a tight ship with competent people. He tries to strike a balance among all NYers (which always makes someone unhappy). He tries to demonstrate respect to all races, religions, and ethnicities, and doesn't go out of his way to divide NYers between "us" and "them" (although there are always people everywhere that feel like the "them"). He knows how to balance a budget, and that he cannot just cut taxes without losses to services and impacts to society. He was the only governor since Rockefeller that actually paid attention to Buffalo and backed it up with cash.

He is dealing with new problems and over 200 years of legacy issues in the state, and the childish thoughts that a new governor could suddenly make the issues go away is absurd.

Yes he's a unifier alright.

Direct quote "He recently told conservative Republicans – specifically anyone who is pro-traditional marriage, pro-life or pro-guns – they “have no place in the state of New York“.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...lcome-new-york

Old 07-26-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Yes he's a unifier alright.

Direct quote "He recently told conservative Republicans – specifically anyone who is pro-traditional marriage, pro-life or pro-guns – they “have no place in the state of New York“.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...lcome-new-york
Read my reply to JW above. It explains more about the context of his actual words, which were directed at the radical Republican legislators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area