Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 07:39 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
"But even in BPS every child, and every school, is different. There are high achievers and low achievers. Great schools, and poor performing schools. Some of the top schools in the state are in BPS."

You can say this about any school system anywhere

And if parents want, with the savings in home cost and taxes, those people can afford to send their children to quality private schools if they wish, or some even pay out-of-district costs for their kids to enroll in suburban districts.

Nichols School tuition ranges from $23,900 to $25,700. Park School $7000 to $23000, Nardin $7000 - $16000. If you have multiple kids that could run into a fortune.
You also have schools like Bishop Timon-St. Jude, Canisius and Mount Mercy also within the city that are more affordable. There's also schools just outside of city limits like Cardinal O'Hara and St. Joe's as well. I know St. Mary's in Lancaster would also get some city kids(ironically, one that played Football there that I know of transferred to Bennett). Same with St. Francis in Athol Springs or other private schools just outside of the city.

Also, a lot of times, these schools will offer a chance for tuition reduction by doing things like helping to clean the school(Christian Laettner, the former Duke and NBA Basketball star that went to Nichols actually talked about this in the ESPN 30 For 30 about him and I know that some do this in the Syracuse area as well). There's also Financial Aid and reduced tuition for families that have multiple siblings within a school. There are also scholarships. So, even with the private schools, there are ways to get a reduction in tuition to attend.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-25-2020 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 07:59 AM

6,410 posts, read 4,905,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You also have schools like Bishop Timon-St. Jude, Canisius and Mount Mercy also within the city that are more affordable. There's also schools just outside of city limits like Cardinal O'Hara and St. Joe's as well. I know St. Mary's in Lancaster would also get some city kids(ironically, one that played Football there that I know of transferred to Bennett). Same with St. Francis in Athol Springs or other private schools just outside of the city.

Also, a lot of times, these schools will offer a chance for tuition reduction by doing things like helping to clean the school(Christian Laettner, the former Duke and NBA Basketball star that went to Nichols actually talked about this in the ESPN 30 For 30 about him and I know that some do this in the Syracuse area as well). There's also Financial Aid and reduced tuition for families that have multiple siblings within a school. There are also scholarships. So, even with the private schools, there are ways to get a reduction in tuition to attend.
This still does nothing for the majority of students that are trapped in these schools.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
This still does nothing for the majority of students that are trapped in these schools.
"Trapped" in what schools? My point is that there are many ways to make through private schools outside of just looking at the sticker price of tuition and people exercise those options.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
"Trapped" in what schools? My point is that there are many ways to make through private schools outside of just looking at the sticker price of tuition and people exercise those options.
Not everyone can afford these "options". Why should people have to spend money to have their children get a decent education? You are deflecting attention away from the conditions of the public schools by showing all the options people have and not addressing the root of the problem.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Not everyone can afford these "options". Why should people have to spend money to have their children get a decent education? You are deflecting attention away from the conditions of the public schools by showing all the options people have and not addressing the root of the problem.
I'm talking about the information you posted about private school options and passing on information about how people go about attending them or the other schools I mentioned earlier. Not everyone that attends private schools are "rich" or even middle class.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I'm talking about the information you posted about private school options and passing on information about how people go about attending them or the other schools I mentioned earlier. Not everyone that attends private schools are "rich" or even middle class.
I am talking about the conditions in the public schools. Having private options, does nothing to address the conditions there.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I am talking about the conditions in the public schools. Having private options, does nothing to address the conditions there.
No, you mentioned how much select private schools cost. That doesn't have anything to do with the conditions of the public schools, which we already went over. I then preceded to mention other private schools in the city and those that city families may send their children to. Then, I explained how they may go about paying from such schools. That is what I am addressing.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
To bring it back to the actual topic, it looks like proximity to the airport is a key factor as to why the city made the list. That could also speak to the ability to move around in the area/relative lack of traffic in comparison.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
To bring it back to the actual topic, it looks like proximity to the airport is a key factor as to why the city made the list. That could also speak to the ability to move around in the area/relative lack of traffic in comparison.
Proximity to a major airport is only (10%).

I reread the article and Jacksonville is number 9

"Jacksonville has a good number of affordable three-plus-bedroom homes available, so you might even be able to snag something with a pool. Not only is Jacksonville one of the country’s top 20 art destinations, but it's also one of the cheapest places you can live in close proximity to the beach. And if you need more options for outdoor activities, you can explore the 80,000 acres of green space."

I will definitely have to start checking out these art destinations, as I am a fine arts lover

Old 08-25-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Proximity to a major airport is only (10%).

I reread the article and Jacksonville is number 9

"Jacksonville has a good number of affordable three-plus-bedroom homes available, so you might even be able to snag something with a pool. Not only is Jacksonville one of the country’s top 20 art destinations, but it's also one of the cheapest places you can live in close proximity to the beach. And if you need more options for outdoor activities, you can explore the 80,000 acres of green space."

I will definitely have to start checking out these art destinations, as I am a fine arts lover
There you go...

Yes, it is only 10% of the criteria, but Buffalo actually was 3rd in terms of proximity to the airport. That could be important for someone that has to travel and is something that hasn't been mentioned in the thread previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area