Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 08:52 AM

6,408 posts, read 4,901,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I doubt most houses in Florida have 6 car garages as you do. My relative's house in Florida only had a carport. It depends on how much you want to spend, how much land you have, etc.
Our garage is 24 feet by 24 feet with a 9.5 feet ceiling, hardly a 6 car garage. Its a fairly typical size around here. Our Buffalo house had a 18 inch space on either side of the car and 1 foot front and back. The previous owners didn't even bother to try and put a car in there. I had to install a new garage door and opener.

With our HOA here we get a few parks with soccer fields, a pool, meticulously cut and maintained public spaces, manned gates, 24/7 security with constant patrols plus trash removal and recycling. Its around $120/month.

Here is an interesting article about pollution in the city of Buffalo:

https://orb.binghamton.edu/cgi/viewc...ion_and_theses

FYI: my wife had respiratory problems in WNY and needed an inhaler 2/3 x per day, she has used it once here in almost 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 09:34 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some/many of those things are provided by taxes in NY and the HOA does the same thing for those neighborhoods, as you mentioned. Now we can question the structure of providing those things, but many of those services are provided by taxes.

It isn’t about “anticipation” of a tax break, but like the prevalence of HOA’s in other states, it also has to be considered is the point. What is listed isn’t necessarily what a person would pay in property taxes. Same goes for home prices in relation pay, as well as relative comparisons of homes. It is better to tell more of the truth versus the “all of NY is expensive strictly based on taxes” aspect.
But it is the truth and New York always comes out on top with tax obligations and that's regardless of who is providing the data including the posters on the NY Boards. I mention the "anticipated tax breaks" because you use them very freely to reinforce your perspective that these bring a homes tax obligation in line with the real world. HOA obligations are no where near the tax burdens and you see what your paying for and ultimately you choose to live there.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Ha - sometimes it felt like a plague. Texas climate is a beast. It continued after we left, lightning recently struck our old house, and fried the electrical box (it started on fire) and many of the fixtures and appliances of that house and several adjacent neighbors. The new owner called us to ask if we had information about where certain fixtures were purchased, so she could find replacements. Our relatives asked if it felt like seeing the mushroom cloud in the rear view as we drove out of Texas.

For all the issues we had over the years in a sense we were "luckier" than many of our co-workers who woke up to 4 feet of water in their bedrooms, trees crashed through their roofs, waves breaking through their kitchen windows, having their home entirely swept away, or dying while trying to put the pieces back together of their destroyed possessions. I am talking about dozens of co-workers, in all parts of the city. A former neighbor, who was evacuated from Chernobyl and later fled to the US, described the Hurricane Rita evacuation as the most horrific experience of her life, with roadways lined with abandoned cars and dead pets for hundreds of miles. After that, I was filled with enough dread (I was in a mandatory evacuation zone) that we moved 25 miles inland to a home with an elevated foundation. We did escape all of the major flooding once we moved there, but we did have quite a bit of wind-driven damage from Ike - insurance did not cover everything, and it took months to be able to get repairs done, and our loss of trees was irrecoverable.

The phrase "normalization of deviance" comes to mind about living in some places, especially along the Gulf Coast. Nature may make things cold and snowy at times up here, but it doesn't bring the destructive and occasionally catastrophic climate and events that people live with down there.
Well for you the good news is you are out, I remember the city was hit pretty hard with the weather. I often got the impression from how you write about the are that you lived South East of Downtown where it seems everything is 1 foot above sea level on a good day. But watching the news this week as a Derecho has moved across the mid-west and was heading you way no place is immune from extreme weather.

But now your in an old city with old house and the problems those can bring if your happy that's fine but for those who choose to leave they will be in shock when they find out what the real world costs and how the taxes do not have a life of their own..

Old 08-23-2020, 10:20 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,072,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Well for you the good news is you are out, I remember the city was hit pretty hard with the weather. I often got the impression from how you write about the are that you lived South East of Downtown where it seems everything is 1 foot above sea level on a good day. But watching the news this week as a Derecho has moved across the mid-west and was heading you way no place is immune from extreme weather.

But now your in an old city with old house and the problems those can bring if your happy that's fine but for those who choose to leave they will be in shock when they find out what the real world costs and how the taxes do not have a life of their own..
I spent several years in the Clear Lake area, but moved inside the Loop after Rita. I had a newer house, maybe 5 years old when we moved in, spent about 14 years there, and had just as many problems as an older house does over time. Foundation, siding replacement, roof replacement, furnace and a/c replacement, electrical work, plumbing problems, appliance replacement, etc. Unless one plans on moving every 5 or 10 years, money will always have to be spent maintaining a home.

Older homes can be chosen that have demonstrated stability over the test of time. You don't have to live in a shack.

As far as "real world" goes, Buffalo is as real a place as any other, different places just have different attributes and experiences.

But, I suppose if one was happy to live in a place such as this, one could find it anywhere.
https://goo.gl/maps/9L4gnki1UZxFDPX39
https://goo.gl/maps/qboykyM3XdnHiTec9

What can't be found everywhere are what older homes and neighborhoods provide.

Last edited by RocketSci; 08-23-2020 at 10:39 AM..

Old 08-23-2020, 12:17 PM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
But it is the truth and New York always comes out on top with tax obligations and that's regardless of who is providing the data including the posters on the NY Boards. I mention the "anticipated tax breaks" because you use them very freely to reinforce your perspective that these bring a homes tax obligation in line with the real world. HOA obligations are no where near the tax burdens and you see what your paying for and ultimately you choose to live there.
Sure, but again the point is that there is more to cost than just taxes and you have to consider everything in terms of cost of living. Housing makes up the highest percentage in plurality at roughly 30%. Given that there are many things to consider with that like property taxes, HOA’s(which can be restrictive), insurance, etc. my point is to show factors that can impact housing comparisons. I’ve also provided information when looking at median home prices, housing opportunity indexes(housing costs in relation to family income), age and location. So, this has never been about saying an HOA makes up for the property tax situation here, but that it is an additional cost that one has to consider when looking at housing in certain areas. This is on top of the fact that housing is relatively more affordable in the area and much of the state outside of the NYC metro area, compared to similar areas in other states. That’s all...

Old 08-23-2020, 01:10 PM

6,408 posts, read 4,901,771 times
Quote:
Sure, but again the point is that there is more to cost than just taxes and you have to consider everything in terms of cost of living. Housing makes up the highest percentage in plurality at roughly 30%. Given that there are many things to consider with that like property taxes, HOA’s(which can be restrictive), insurance, etc. my point is to show factors that can impact housing comparisons. I’ve also provided information when looking at median home prices, housing opportunity indexes(housing costs in relation to family income), age and location. So, this has never been about saying an HOA makes up for the property tax situation here, but that it is an additional cost that one has to consider when looking at housing in certain areas. This is on top of the fact that housing is relatively more affordable in the area and much of the state outside of the NYC metro area, compared to similar areas in other states. That’s all...
Property taxes in WNY is a HUGE deal and its not that they ever stop going up, its just a matter of how much. It would be one thing if they were going to level off and the areas' finances were strong but neither is the case. When I purchased my home in WNY the Erie County taxes were 2650, when I sold it they were 3380 an increase of 28%. School Taxes went from 3475 in 2013 to 5325 today an increase of 53.25% over 6 years. That was for a relatively cheap 200k house.

What on earth do HOAs have to do with WNY taxes? At least you get something for them.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I spent several years in the Clear Lake area, but moved inside the Loop after Rita. I had a newer house, maybe 5 years old when we moved in, spent about 14 years there, and had just as many problems as an older house does over time. Foundation, siding replacement, roof replacement, furnace and a/c replacement, electrical work, plumbing problems, appliance replacement, etc. Unless one plans on moving every 5 or 10 years, money will always have to be spent maintaining a home.

Older homes can be chosen that have demonstrated stability over the test of time. You don't have to live in a shack.

As far as "real world" goes, Buffalo is as real a place as any other, different places just have different attributes and experiences.

But, I suppose if one was happy to live in a place such as this, one could find it anywhere.
https://goo.gl/maps/9L4gnki1UZxFDPX39
https://goo.gl/maps/qboykyM3XdnHiTec9

What can't be found everywhere are what older homes and neighborhoods provide.
Well we have more than our share of older neighborhoods they're not as scarce as you may think. As for the real world home buyers find that their sales profits from up there won't buy very much in most places but they'll also find that property taxes do not have a life of their own as so many posters so often reflect.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Property taxes in WNY is a HUGE deal and its not that they ever stop going up, its just a matter of how much. It would be one thing if they were going to level off and the areas' finances were strong but neither is the case. When I purchased my home in WNY the Erie County taxes were 2650, when I sold it they were 3380 an increase of 28%. School Taxes went from 3475 in 2013 to 5325 today an increase of 53.25% over 6 years. That was for a relatively cheap 200k house.

What on earth do HOAs have to do with WNY taxes? At least you get something for them.
You get things for taxes as well and yes, much of that is towards schools. Again, that is just one aspect of housing costs is the point and depend on various factors like location, the home owner and the home.

With that said, home prices are still lower even now in comparison. That is what is considered here. The fact that you are able to buy a home for $200,000 in a legitimately very good school district is rare to find in much of the country, even with the property taxes the way they are.

Also, the housing opportunity index illustrates the relationship between housing(inc. considering property taxes) and family income: https://www.nahb.org/-/media/NAHB/ne...nk-2020Q2.xlsx

https://www.nahb.org/News-and-Econom...ortunity-Index

I believe that is what the article and some others on here are referring to.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-23-2020 at 02:40 PM..

Old 08-23-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
One day you will just admit that the taxes are outrageous rather than song and dance as you always do. No one has every said that the monthly cost of their HOA is unreasonable or they don't feel they get anything for it. But i'll stop here, nothing has changed and its the same rhetoric it always is so you have a good day..

Old 08-23-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
One day you will just admit that the taxes are outrageous rather than song and dance as you always do. No one has every said that the monthly cost of their HOA is unreasonable or they don't feel they get anything for it. But i'll stop here, nothing has changed and its the same rhetoric it always is so you have a good day..
No one has denied the property taxes, but they aren’t the same across the board, even within the same school district. Let alone considering other factors(personal property tax is another one).

Again, the information says what it says. That doesn’t have anything to do with me or being rhetorical.

This is in relation to a $250k home in Erie County, which is quite a bit over the median, based on the overall rate: https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-yor...tor#aNzkiwC55i

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-23-2020 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area