Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2024, 03:26 PM

93,384 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
As an advertiser for 30+ years, I purchased advertising on the LOCAL TV stations based on the Nielson ratings, which is what the stations set their rates at. More viewers equal higher prices. The problem was in Batavia where half the people watch Rochester stations and half watch Buffalo stations, so when we advertised, that branch got shortchanged. We only advertised on the Buffalo stations and half their customers never saw it. Our City of Buffalo location also got shortchanged because the Canadian cable companies strip out the USA commercials and replace them with Canadian ones. I know that because I lived there for several years. You are obfuscating the issue because the Buffalo DMA does NOT include anything outside of the 7 westernmost counties and 2 in Pennsylvania. If you are a national advertiser you care about what rates you are paying and who you are reaching. Blackouts affect the Buffalo DMA area and because Rochester is in a different DMA, if you want to reach them you have to advertise on Rochester stations. We are discussing the size of the Buffalo NY DMA as compared to other cities.
Again, you are overlooking the NFL definition of a local market, which is what this is about. It is plain as day in terms of what they consider to be a local market versus just strictly going by the Nielson definition. In this case, there are/were other nearby TV markets involved in the NFL(key word) definition of a market due to being within the 75 mile radius that they use in relation to blackouts. That is what I'm referring to, not what a company did as an advertiser that has nothing to do with the NFL definition given earlier.

Also, as mentioned, "market" may depend on the criteria used, as I mentioned how cities in smaller metro areas may still be in a bigger TV market due to factors such as geography and being the nearest available city of size. So, given that we are referring to an NFL franchise, I am just referring to a definition that they have/had used for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 03:48 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
I recall many times, within the past 10 years, that there were only a couple hundred seats left, and a local business bought them up so the game would be broadcasted but only for Buffalo, not Rochester.

Old 04-23-2024, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I recall many times, within the past 10 years, that there were only a couple hundred seats left, and a local business bought them up so the game would be broadcasted but only for Buffalo, not Rochester.
That is interesting, as blackouts have been suspended since 2015 and the game should have been broadcasted in the Rochester market due to the 75 mile radius aspect. So, I’m curious what that was about.

Just to add, we get Bills commercials especially during the pre-season in the Syracuse area and the weekly show on Saturday evenings.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-23-2024 at 04:18 PM..

Old 04-24-2024, 09:48 AM

6,424 posts, read 4,917,410 times
If the market size has little or no impact as you state, then why are the Bills ranked 30 out of 32 in franchise valuation? They have been perennial winners the last few years, they have a rabid fan base spread throughout the country, they sell out every game and have a 6000 place waiting list for season tickets.

They have the 2nd lowest ticket prices in the NFL:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-nfl-by-team/

29th in revenue:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...teams-in-2010/

Old 04-24-2024, 10:13 AM

Quote:
If the market size has little or no impact as you state, then why are the Bills ranked 30 out of 32 in franchise valuation? They have been perennial winners the last few years, they have a rabid fan base spread throughout the country, they sell out every game and have a 6000 place waiting list for season tickets.

29th in revenue:

I didn't say that market size has little to no impact. So, that isn't anything I said. My point has been about "market" varying based on criteria related to the topic in regards to fans/fan access and media. Both of those in this case go beyond the Census criteria for a metro or combined statistical area, as well as the Nielsen TV market criteria due to population proximity, geography and NFL based criteria for what is viewed as being "local".

You would have to ask management about tickets, which are going up. Not sure about the revenue, but the value of the team has gone up in recent years. What is interesting is that the Bills are 11th in operating income: https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuation...rtreverse:true

Old 04-24-2024, 12:56 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:

29th in revenue:

That's pretty weird, with the Golden Horseshoe and 12 million people.

Old 04-24-2024, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
That's pretty weird, with the Golden Horseshoe and 12 million people.
Not necessarily, as tickets may be set based on the immediate area and even with the Golden Horseshoe with its just under 10 million people, you have an exchange rate to consider. Plus, you only need a substantial portion of that population to be interested.

On the other hand, the franchise has the 11th highest operating income in the league. That refers to "how much of a team’s revenue will become profit after deducting operating expenses, such as wages." So, that is quite interesting: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...0the%20Cowboys.

Old 04-24-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not necessarily, as tickets may be set based on the immediate area and even with the Golden Horseshoe with its just under 10 million people, you have an exchange rate to consider. Plus, you only need a substantial portion of that population to be interested.

On the other hand, the franchise has the 11th highest operating income in the league. That refers to "how much of a team’s revenue will become profit after deducting operating expenses, such as wages." So, that is quite interesting: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...0the%20Cowboys.
If the operating income is 11th, how do you explain the 30th ranking of team valuation?

Old 04-24-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
If the operating income is 11th, how do you explain the 30th ranking of team valuation?
I'm surprised, but perhaps it is due to other factors such as having a stadium for such a long time or being efficient with spending.

Old 04-24-2024, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm surprised, but perhaps it is due to other factors such as having a stadium for such a long time or being efficient with spending.
Its also one of the most economically depressed areas of the USA that have an NFL team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area