Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2023, 03:27 PM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
....BTW, route 17, before it became I 86 did the same thing through Corning.
I have vague memories of that. It was quite some time ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 06:26 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Buffalo is widely praised for it's hub and spoke city design. So with all those surface streets leading straight downtown, you would think something could be figured out.

BTW, route 17, before it became I 86 did the same thing through Corning.
That was 125 years ago, long before there were cars. There is no way that 75000 cars can be dumped on those streets without a mega traffic jam. People have been using the Kensington for decades and you want to tell them that the State is spending 1 billion dollars to make their commute much more difficult. When I worked downtown I was there in 10-15 minutes and if I decided to use other routes it was 30 minutes or more.

Old 11-29-2023, 08:57 PM

93,195 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
That was 125 years ago, long before there were cars. There is no way that 75000 cars can be dumped on those streets without a mega traffic jam. People have been using the Kensington for decades and you want to tell them that the State is spending 1 billion dollars to make their commute much more difficult. When I worked downtown I was there in 10-15 minutes and if I decided to use other routes it was 30 minutes or more.
30 minutes or more via which routes?

Old 11-30-2023, 05:22 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Well stated, and not to change the topic of this discussion, but this was the same dilemma faced by Rochesterians, with the "Inner Loop". At one time, "downtown Rochester" was a thriving business district, with MANY retail businesses, and dozens of office workers. The city is divided by a river, so there are only a handful ways to traverse the city, east to west.

Studies determined that a "loop" that would bypass "Main Street" would allow for automobile traffic to go cross town more efficiently. The loop was built, and in conjunction with the construction of I490, the goal was accomplished. However, over time, a segment of the population felt that the loop was "racist", as it ran through one particular neighborhood that was predominately minority occupied, and the roadway "had to go".

So now, the government is spending a LOT of money to deconstruct this once very important and efficient roadway, therefore dumping the east/west traffic on to "city streets".

Old 11-30-2023, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Well stated, and not to change the topic of this discussion, but this was the same dilemma faced by Rochesterians, with the "Inner Loop". At one time, "downtown Rochester" was a thriving business district, with MANY retail businesses, and dozens of office workers. The city is divided by a river, so there are only a handful ways to traverse the city, east to west.

Studies determined that a "loop" that would bypass "Main Street" would allow for automobile traffic to go cross town more efficiently. The loop was built, and in conjunction with the construction of I490, the goal was accomplished. However, over time, a segment of the population felt that the loop was "racist", as it ran through one particular neighborhood that was predominately minority occupied, and the roadway "had to go".

So now, the government is spending a LOT of money to deconstruct this once very important and efficient roadway, therefore dumping the east/west traffic on to "city streets".
I’m not sure that it was over time that people saw that the highway divided the city/cities. I think people have just found more out about the history and impact the highway constructions had on neighborhoods.

Also, what has been happening in recent years is that cities/states are seeing the value in urban neighborhoods again given gas prices since roughly the Recession in 2008 and the fact people are more interested in living a walkable lifestyle, which the cities offer. So, it goes beyond the discriminatory component, but also involves market trends(real or perceived) and also development opportunities. With the latter, that could mean just fulfilling that market demand or to mend neighborhoods back together, which was the goal in this case. In turn, property values, regardless of what happens, will likely increase and is another reason that comes into play.

Lastly, in terms of the driving time aspect, just like other Upstate NY cities/areas, you can get pretty much anywhere within 20-25 minutes in the area. So, even if a fill in option were to occur, I’m sure not everyone that takes the 33, does so to Downtown. Some may then take the Scajaquada to other parts of the city or may use the unrolled portion of I-90 to 190 to get Downtown. Meaning there are other ways to get to a destination within/near the city and that isn’t consider street options(full or partial).

Old 11-30-2023, 06:58 AM

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...b-f95dd7695b14

and on and on it goes

Old 11-30-2023, 07:46 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
I see from the video, that Humbolt Pkwy itself has a 3 ton limit, so that wouldn't work as a replacement. I wonder if any of the other alternative routes have weight limits?

Old 11-30-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Not surprising, as I've said, other cities in the state have different plans and include development potential and that allow for options in terms of getting around. So, that likely plays a part in other ideas coming up.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:55 AM

No one is disputing that there are alternatives, but making a mess out of traffic is a nonstarter, especially when you are spending 1 billion. There would have to be all kinds of new studies, environmental impact, etc. Maybe people on those alternate routes don't want 75,000 cars dispersed into their neighborhoods with increased pollution and health issues. Those who have not lived in Buffalo have no idea what its like. Those alternate routes are inconvenient for people in the suburbs. Those alternate routes can theoretically handle more traffic BUT, with all kinds of delays and in winter a total nightmare. I lived in Buffalo for 64 years and I am very familiar with the roads.

Old 11-30-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
No one is disputing that there are alternatives, but making a mess out of traffic is a nonstarter, especially when you are spending 1 billion. There would have to be all kinds of new studies, environmental impact, etc. Maybe people on those alternate routes don't want 75,000 cars dispersed into their neighborhoods with increased pollution and health issues. Those who have not lived in Buffalo have no idea what its like. Those alternate routes are inconvenient for people in the suburbs. Those alternate routes can theoretically handle more traffic BUT, with all kinds of delays and in winter a total nightmare. I lived in Buffalo for 64 years and I am very familiar with the roads.
What about taking I-90 to 190 into Downtown? That looks like a legitimate way to get Downtown currently. As mentioned, you also have the Scajaquada as well. If one works at Buff State or Albright-Knox, you are getting on the Scajaquada, which is before one would engage the area slated for the cap. So, there are other ways that people take anyway, depending on where they work in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area