Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:19 AM

76 posts, read 366,117 times

Advertisements

I found this website that makes it look like Buffalo and Niagra Falls are cesspools of industrial waste. Is it really that awful there? What do all those people do for a living now that used to work in these places?

Buffalo Urban Exploration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 06:49 PM

225 posts, read 716,226 times
The industrial base had alot to do with that area. Love Canal got me in the environmental business. There are many sites here and other rustbelt cities that are like Buffalo/Niagara Falls.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:35 PM

112 posts, read 381,243 times
I enjoyed The Buffalo Urban Explorer web site, thanks for posting the link!

Hope Buffalo can save Central Terminal. Saint Louis was able to save it's central terminal which was turned into a shopping mall.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:05 AM

76 posts, read 366,117 times
I was wondering if they have done anything to these places as far as cleanup of the toxic waste.

I enjoyed this site also. whoever did these photos is very talented. I sent a link to a russian friend, who went nuts over it. He thinks it is proof that the US is in worse shape than Russia!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:43 AM

225 posts, read 716,226 times
It takes years to cleanup these facilities. Based on what kind of contamnation (i.e groundwater or soil). Also depending on what chemical is in the soil or groundwater.

Last edited by bmd51; 06-17-2008 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: verbage

Old 06-17-2008, 06:05 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,603 times
Buffalo is a great city...but I saw Niagara Falls (the bad parts), which is where Love Canal was. Most of the city seems pretty burned out with old factory and abandoned industrial sites.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:29 AM

112 posts, read 381,243 times
There is a guy in Buffalo (not a Gov. employee) who drives around with a radiation meter finding hot areas. Lack of responsibility and foresight for waste disposal and site cleanup is what gives the rust belt it's problems.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:53 AM

450 posts, read 1,059,419 times
Many of those folks have died off, or they retired/ live on welfare, etc. A lot of them have moved to other states, N.C. has a lot of Western NY folks for example. Many retrained for other occupations. Some are working 3 low paying jobs just to try to maintain their former lifestyles in their neighborhoods. It all depends on your pain threshold, if you choose to stay in NY and put up with the abuse.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:12 AM

327 posts, read 939,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedzone View Post
I enjoyed The Buffalo Urban Explorer web site, thanks for posting the link!

Hope Buffalo can save Central Terminal. Saint Louis was able to save it's central terminal which was turned into a shopping mall.

You'll be surpised what people in Buffalo can do. Check the latest: Buffalo Central Terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Buffalo is a great city...but I saw Niagara Falls (the bad parts), which is where Love Canal was. Most of the city seems pretty burned out with old factory and abandoned industrial sites.

It all under redevelopment process now. Nothing stays the same forever. Life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post

It's under redevelopment process now. Visit and read a strategic plan: Niagara Falls City Business EconomicDevelopment

Last edited by bellafinzi; 06-29-2008 at 08:43 PM..

Old 07-25-2008, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,556 times
Default New Member

Hi

I am going to St Louis Mo by Bus and have a four hour layover in the
Buffalo Bus terminal arriving in the afternoon.
Could someone tell me if they have lockers there and if the washrooms and terminal is safe?

Thank You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area