Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 01:10 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't it be nice if we did? Given the amount of history in the city, a gallery of items exclusive to Buffalo would be ideal.

Share your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 04:04 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if we did? Given the amount of history in the city, a gallery of items exclusive to Buffalo would be ideal.

Share your thoughts.

It would be great if we had one, maybe if it was part of the Outer Harbor Master Plan Project - an "only" Buffalo Museum, near the Grain Elevators on our great historical prominence of Lake water.

It is an essential part of Buffalo's future to still remember the past, while looking to the future, especially through a new museum like this one...

Old 10-18-2008, 08:02 PM

I feel there's more to Buffalo than the waterfront, but if to have a museum it should be downtown, thus the heart of the city.

A gallery of sports, old industry, weather photos. Food, and products - here and lost. It'll have to be as big as the Albright Knox.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I feel there's more to Buffalo than the waterfront, but if to have a museum it should be downtown, thus the heart of the city.

A gallery of sports, old industry, weather photos. Food, and products - here and lost. It'll have to be as big as the Albright Knox.
Agreed. I just thought that if it was placed on the waterfront - it would contribute to the revitilization of the land and make it a more condensed space.

I think it would be grand should it be downtown - but where downtown? A historically significant building? If so, which one, etc...?

Old 10-18-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Agreed. I just thought that if it was placed on the waterfront - it would contribute to the revitilization of the land and make it a more condensed space.

I think it would be grand should it be downtown - but where downtown? A historically significant building? If so, which one, etc...?
When I was downtown last week, I snapped this picture. At the least 5 empty stores in a row of the Main Place Mall. Imagine the space inside

Old 10-19-2008, 09:33 AM

144 posts, read 546,806 times
What a great idea fedupwny! As a new resident to Buffalo I have been visiting area attractions. I went to the History Museum? (the one in Delaware Park) near my home. While I thought it was good I was surprised that it didn't contain more from Buffalo's past. I understand that there is a "resource" center that has some artifacts from the 1901 World's Fair but I haven't gotten to that yet. Does that have more of Bufflalo's history there?

Old 10-19-2008, 03:32 PM

259 posts, read 888,763 times
We already have one.

It all there, they rotate the displays. Could use more room to show more.
The Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society Buffalo New York

Old 10-19-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockwalliper View Post
We already have one.

It all there, they rotate the displays. Could use more room to show more.
The Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society Buffalo New York

But they need to have a large permanent only Buffalo display all about Buffalo from being the 6th largest city and largest inland port, to the Grain Capital of the World and was home to the World's Fair!

Lots of pictures and models would be most interesting and exciting to remember our great past. Just imagine marveling at a scaled down model of the 1901 Pan Am in the center of a new Buffalo Museum - and, when lights are turned low, it all lights up similar to what it really looked like back then! - And that's just one idea!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:57 PM

47 posts, read 182,041 times
Quote:
When I was downtown last week, I snapped this picture. At the least 5 empty stores in a row of the Main Place Mall. Imagine the space inside
I used to work in that building too.
There were offices up at the top...some of it was class encased, and you used to be able to see people walking around up there..from the lower levels of the mall.
That was NY Tel. I used to work in the Accounting Dept up there.

I also remember the grand opening of Main Place Mall. It was one of the first shopping areas of its kind. Imagine... a place where the stores were all inside; and you did not have to go outdoors to visit another store!

The sky was filled with spotlights that night!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Lots of pictures and models would be most interesting and exciting to remember our great past. Just imagine marveling at a scaled down model of the 1901 Pan Am in the center of a new Buffalo Museum - and, when lights are turned low, it all lights up similar to what it really looked like back then! - And that's just one idea!
Great minds, thinking alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
View detailed profiles of: