Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 06:56 AM

30 posts, read 370,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
1 Buffalo's weather has always been the same for centuries or even eons - cold snowy winters and mild sunny summers. Weather alone does not determine the economic success of a city. Did you really think that the weather was any better back in 1908 when Buffalo was a prosperous city?
Excellent point. I would also add to that: Has anyone ever heard of a little known town called LONDON?? The weather there is very similar to Buffalo's weather - but London is more powerful than New York City in many regards and is considered by many the most amazing and wonderful city in the the entire world. My point - there is more than just weather that draws people to live in a certain area. Buffalo has a lot of amazing things to offer (architecture, history, great neighborhoods, the lake, the falls, etc.) but it has to get past weather - it has to end the discussion about weather and focus on what makes it a great city. It needs to take the Joker out of the deck. Then it will become a success. Will it ever get beyond this obsession? I don't know.

On a somewhat related note: In my opinion, Americans need to let go of this obsession with 80 + degree weather year round. Seasons are natural and they are beautiful. They remind us all of the all important passage of time. Yes, it may sounds slightly insane to some people, but more people should move to Buffalo and realize A.) That the winters are not as bad as all of the stereotypes. and B.) The winter landscape is absolutely beautiful in its own right. Celebrate winter - enjoy it. If its good enough for Londoners, then I'd say its good enough for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 09:25 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in Skyscrapers View Post
Has anyone ever heard of a little known town called LONDON?? The weather there is very similar to Buffalo's weather
Actually, the biggest snowfall in the last 10 years in London was about an inch of snow. I would say that makes the two cities far from comparable.

Quote:
The winter landscape is absolutely beautiful in its own right.
The beauty of snow lasts about one day. Then it's just dirty and ugly; the streets are lined with black or gray slush and frozen slush. And it's just as cold.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:38 PM

414 posts, read 1,504,964 times
Its amazing how easy it is for cowards who run for greener pastures, who don't have the salt to compete for a job here to come back and take stabs at the city. I bet most didnt know we have more sunny days per year then Florida. We have many positive attributes and features. You show me a perfect city and I will show you its flaws. go back to where you came and do it silently

Old 12-24-2008, 12:04 AM

137 posts, read 316,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesuicide View Post
Its amazing how easy it is for cowards who run for greener pastures, who don't have the salt to compete for a job here to come back and take stabs at the city. I bet most didnt know we have more sunny days per year then Florida. We have many positive attributes and features. You show me a perfect city and I will show you its flaws. go back to where you came and do it silently
I am with you 100% Mike. I hate negative people, especially when that is all they do is point out the flaws of everything.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:26 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
The weather argument is stupid. Metro places like Denver, Twin Cities, Boston, Hartford, etc all get a decent amount of snow and cold and have grown in size.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:30 AM

969 posts, read 2,072,170 times
When jobs are lacking, taxes are high, and image is crappy, every negative gets magnified.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:46 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
The weather argument is stupid. Metro places like Denver, Twin Cities, Boston, Hartford, etc all get a decent amount of snow and cold and have grown in size.
I totally agree with your argument. I must make one correction however, Hartford, Connecticut is also in decline. Its metro area may be growing in size, albeit slowly, but Hartford itself is struggling economically. I visited the downtown a few years ago and saw it was just as deserted as Buffalo's. Again though, this has nothing to do with the weather but more with neglect on the part of politicians and the local community.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:02 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
yea the city may have lost people but the metro was gaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area