Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,920 times

Advertisements

Is the area just north of Amherst St., Buffalo safe at night? Specifically the area just north of Buffalo State College, where Wegman's is.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:14 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,257 times
I would say most definitely not, I would never go there after dark, but if that's your only option, I guess you could get a little worse. But it's not a very safe area by any means.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:05 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,865 times
As far as I can tell, the poster above me does not know much about the city of Buffalo, so I wouldn't take his comment on this topic too seriously. All the same, your question is too vague:

What are you planning on doing over there after dark? Walking to Voelker's Bowling Alley? Visiting a friend? Coming home from Buff State or the Elmwood Ave bus? Riding your bike to Wegmans? Sitting out on your porch? I would not hesitate to do any of these things in that neighborhood late at night. On the other hand, if you're planning to drunkenly stumble through there with a lot of cash on you, or, say, if you want to attempt to buy drugs from random passersby, these activities may lead to trouble.

The question you've posed is difficult to answer. Here's my advice: Amherst St between Grant and Elmwood is NOT a dangerous area, although caution should be exercised after dark no matter where you are. Be aware of your surroundings, use common sense and you will be fine.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:15 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
As far as I can tell, the poster above me does not know much about the city of Buffalo, so I wouldn't take his comment on this topic too seriously. All the same, your question is too vague:

What are you planning on doing over there after dark? Walking to Voelker's Bowling Alley? Visiting a friend? Coming home from Buff State or the Elmwood Ave bus? Riding your bike to Wegmans? Sitting out on your porch? I would not hesitate to do any of these things in that neighborhood late at night. On the other hand, if you're planning to drunkenly stumble through there with a lot of cash on you, or, say, if you want to attempt to buy drugs from random passersby, these activities may lead to trouble.

The question you've posed is difficult to answer. Here's my advice: Amherst St between Grant and Elmwood is NOT a dangerous area, although caution should be exercised after dark no matter where you are. Be aware of your surroundings, use common sense and you will be fine.
What about from Elmwood to Parkside?

Old 07-19-2009, 05:26 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,327 times
I don't think that the area around elmwood and amherst is too bad guys.

There are much worse areas for sure.

You aren't too far from delaware parkside, which has some of the nicest homes in Buffalo..

Old 07-19-2009, 05:26 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,257 times
Quote:
As far as I can tell, the poster above me does not know much about the city of Buffalo, so I wouldn't take his comment on this topic too seriously.

You can tell wrong (as usual, your judgment is impaired). I know exactly that area, about 1.5 miles from Tonawanda St., not far from Niagara St. You aren't far from one of the worst areas in Buffalo (Blackrock). I have been there after dark, but you need to be very careful! It's not a safe area. I used to play the drums there 3 times a week until about 11:30, and I certainly did not enjoy the 1 minute walk to my car. There are lots of robberies, even more burglaries.

In all honesty, stay in North Buffalo, or go to the suburbs and you will be safe. Buffalo is NOT a safe city, except in small pockets, but there are robberies all over the city.

Buffalo is the 24th most dangerous city for violent crime, and the area you are questioning is a more dangerous area of the city than average. I would avoid it at all costs if you can.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
I don't think that the area around elmwood and amherst is too bad guys.

There are much worse areas for sure.

You aren't too far from delaware parkside, which has some of the nicest homes in Buffalo..
I was wondering about that too. From what I can see from Google Street View, the homes look really nice on that street.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
You can tell wrong (as usual, your judgment is impaired). I know exactly that area, about 1.5 miles from Tonawanda St., not far from Niagara St. You aren't far from one of the worst areas in Buffalo (Blackrock). I have been there after dark, but you need to be very careful! It's not a safe area. I used to play the drums there 3 times a week until about 11:30, and I certainly did not enjoy the 1 minute walk to my car. There are lots of robberies, even more burglaries.

In all honesty, stay in North Buffalo, or go to the suburbs and you will be safe. Buffalo is NOT a safe city, except in small pockets, but there are robberies all over the city.

Buffalo is the 24th most dangerous city for violent crime, and the area you are questioning is a more dangerous area of the city than average. I would avoid it at all costs if you can.
I figured you could locate the area on a map, I just don't believe your opinion on specific areas of the city is worth much. How much you "enjoyed" walking to your car has no bearing on whatever real danger you were in: we get that you are uncomfortable in the city.

Oh, and Black Rock is "one of the worst areas in Buffalo"? lol

Old 07-19-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was wondering about that too. From what I can see from Google Street View, the homes look really nice on that street.
Yes, east of Elmwood around Amherst lies one of the more posh neighborhoods of the city. But the streets there are very deserted at night and I would take the same precautions that I would in Black Rock were I to find myself alone in Parkside in the middle of the night.

My opinion on the likelihood of something bad happening to you in Buffalo is this: How you comport yourself and what you are doing matters a lot more than what street you are on. I'm not disagreeing with Canerican's advice to be careful, I'm just trying to temper his hysteria a little. If you're minding your own business you are not likely to become another statistic of Buffalo's violent crime. Avoiding the city wholesale because of crime concerns is an overwrought reaction.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, east of Elmwood around Amherst lies one of the more posh neighborhoods of the city. But the streets there are very deserted at night and I would take the same precautions that I would in Black Rock were I to find myself alone in Parkside in the middle of the night.

My opinion on the likelihood of something bad happening to you in Buffalo is this: How you comport yourself and what you are doing matters a lot more than what street you are on. I'm not disagreeing with Canerican's advice to be careful, I'm just trying to temper his hysteria a little. If you're minding your own business you are not likely to become another statistic of Buffalo's violent crime. Avoiding the city wholesale because of crime concerns is an overwrought reaction.
Same thing here in Syracuse. I think people exaggerate a bit in terms of crime, because when you look at most of it, at least in my area, it's either involving drugs or a domestic issue that "got out of control". So, it's more about lifestyle than, just living somewhere.

Also, people tend to put the whole city in one boat, instead of realizing that neighborhoods can vary within one side of town, let alone how each side of town is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area