Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many stars?
One star 13 30.95%
Two star 9 21.43%
Three star 15 35.71%
Four star 3 7.14%
Five star 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:54 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I could name places, but you'd probably just say they suck as you seem to do with most things Buffalo related.
One of the main things out of towners say about Buffalo is how good the food is there. Its not just homers trying to hype the area up.
You could, but you won't, because they can't stand up to any scrutiny.

Awesome! We have a winner right here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 04:53 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
You could, but you won't, because they can't stand up to any scrutiny.

Awesome! We have a winner right here!
Lol

I don't typically take whether I can get a good steak as the test of quality for a restaurant, but if you insist, I can give you some suggestions. Have you tried the Buffalo Chophouse? Prime 490? Rue Franklin? Shango? Oliver's? Left Bank? Hutch's? Tabree?

No, Buffalo cannot compete with Montreal (or New York, or Chicago, etc) but for its size (which is constantly shrinking, as you love to point out) the city of Buffalo offers above-average restaurants. I didn't think that was controversial.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
Lol

I don't typically take whether I can get a good steak as the test of quality for a restaurant, but if you insist, I can give you some suggestions. Have you tried the Buffalo Chophouse? Prime 490? Rue Franklin? Shango? Oliver's? Left Bank? Hutch's? Tabree?
I've tried 4 of the restaurants you mentioned, and they are insanely expensive. Yes Rue Franklin (which isn't that great compared to anything remotely authentic) is fancy, and the Chophouse is very very good, except you will easily break $70 after tip and one drink.

Yes, there is some good food in Buffalo, but it's supply and demand. There isn't much, so it becomes expensive.

There is one place I forgot about which I really enjoyed, that is Black and Bleu. Very good, and fairly reasonable. It is an exception.

One good thing about Buffalo is we can go to Niagara Falls during the off peak time, and get good meals for off peak prices, not to mention one of the nicest views in the world (I honestly cannot think of a more beautiful place than there).

Old 08-12-2009, 08:44 PM

Yes, the Chophouse is quite pricy. But, I think if you don't go crazy with wine and appetizers you can get out of most of the other places I mentioned for roughly $40 a piece (or less in several cases). Admittedly $40 is an arbitrary figure, but I do think it's reasonable for the caliber of food they serve. And of course "expensive" in Buffalo doesn't come even close to the prices at fancy restaurants in Chicago, New York, San Francisco.

But to be clear, while I have eaten a meal at every place I listed, you are not likely to find me in any of them on a regular basis. They are too expensive for me to patronize often, and in any case I prefer Buffalo's neighborhood restaurants. The food, atmosphere and service at, say, Santasiero's on Niagara, or Amy's on Main St, or Lagniappe's on Allen, or Betty's on Virginia is consistently outstanding and very affordable. Buffalo's neighborhood restaurants are on par with comparable restaurants in the large American cities, and that's what makes dining out in Buffalo great.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:56 PM

I have to say, though, that Buffalo's ethnic food is not the best. I don't really like any of the Indian restaurants as much as India House in Rochester. Taste of Thai is quite good but I'm not a fan of the other Thai places around here. I do like the Vietnamese place on Maple Rd in Amherst (forget the name) and 99 Fast Food. What really bugs me is that great places like Somali Star on Grant St and Vargas Take Out on Hudson St have to close because nobody goes to them.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 PM

466 posts, read 982,532 times
I've never really understood why people in Buffalo are so obsessed with their food? They seem to think it's the best anywhere. No matter who I talk to from Buffalo, according to them, they have the best of everything.

I've never met anyone from outside of Buffalo who thought their food was anything but ordinary. Maybe someone could help me out.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:25 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,495 times
EB Greens Steakhouse- made it to the top 5 (3rd) best steakhouses in they country, right in downtown Buffalo.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
I've never really understood why people in Buffalo are so obsessed with their food? They seem to think it's the best anywhere. No matter who I talk to from Buffalo, according to them, they have the best of everything.

I've never met anyone from outside of Buffalo who thought their food was anything but ordinary. Maybe someone could help me out.
You can find overly-enthusiastic supporters in any city. As I argued, Buffalo has above-average restaurants for a mid-sized city. So hometown pride on this topic is not entirely misplaced.

Of course, if there are people who think Buffalo has "the best of everything" (I haven't met them, though, and I'd guess I know more Buffalonians than you do) they are misguided.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
EB Greens Steakhouse- made it to the top 5 (3rd) best steakhouses in they country, right in downtown Buffalo.
I didn't list that one because just about everyone I know has had a bad experience there. Do you like it?

Old 08-13-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
I didn't list that one because just about everyone I know has had a bad experience there. Do you like it?
I've never eaten there, but I heard the same. I've seen it and the decor isn't very nice, especially for the price.

When you look at the their menu it says "not responsible for steaks ordered well-done."

What is that crap? What kind of cook can't prepare a steak well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area