Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 04:43 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,642,159 times

Advertisements

I've always had a fascination in the rust belt region and want to visit western New York state. I plan on going in January (the cold doesn't bother me and its the only time my schedule permits)
Anyway...I either want to go to Syracuse or Buffalo but I'm leaning towards Buffalo at this point, but I don't know which one would be better for things to do. I plan on seeing a little bit of the erie canal, towns on Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, the neighborhoods in the cities and some museums/town attractions.
Which city do you guys think is worth seeing more? Which surrounding area has more to do in?
Any website links or other insight on these two cities would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 04:47 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,888 times
I would definitely take Buffalo over Syracuse. I'm no tour guide, but take a look at Niagara, go downtown (you can go downtown any time and not really worry about parking or traffic) and take a look at the architecture around City Hall.

I can't really answer your question very well, but I visited Buffalo and Syracuse as a tourist before moving to Buffalo, and can tell you that there is plenty more to see in Buffalo, unless you happen to be an Orange fan.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:14 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I would definitely take Buffalo over Syracuse. I'm no tour guide, but take a look at Niagara, go downtown (you can go downtown any time and not really worry about parking or traffic) and take a look at the architecture around City Hall.

I can't really answer your question very well, but I visited Buffalo and Syracuse as a tourist before moving to Buffalo, and can tell you that there is plenty more to see in Buffalo, unless you happen to be an Orange fan.
Hey! We have Armory Square, the Erie Canal Museum, a good Arts scene(museums, plays, Opera, Symphony and live venues), festivals and great parks. We have the nice "old rich" neighborhoods like Strathmore, Sedgwick and Scottholm.

Why not check out both cities and see what you like in both. To be honest, they are kind of similar in the respects I mentioned, except Buffalo is twice the size. They are only about 2 hours away too.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:05 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I know you said it was when you have the time, but why on earth would you make this trip in January? Both Buffalo and Syracuse are likely to be buried under lake effect snow, with freezing cold winds and nasty weather in general. It’s not an ideal time to go sightseeing in either city!

That said, I bet you could find things to do in either. What is your real goal? Do you just want to tour around, sightsee? Looking for events/activities like sporting events, shows/theatre, etc?

Old 09-29-2009, 04:46 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,642,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I know you said it was when you have the time, but why on earth would you make this trip in January? Both Buffalo and Syracuse are likely to be buried under lake effect snow, with freezing cold winds and nasty weather in general. It’s not an ideal time to go sightseeing in either city!

That said, I bet you could find things to do in either. What is your real goal? Do you just want to tour around, sightsee? Looking for events/activities like sporting events, shows/theatre, etc?
I assume you are native to Buffalo so you have seen it all, but I'm actually looking foward to the lake effect snow and cold temperatures since I'm from a climate where it doesn't get very cold. I want to tour around and sightsee, I will likely do so by car and foot. I'm interested in seeing well established neighborhoods with architecture & homes that are museums and are now on the national historic register.
I want to make it to about three resturants that are there for the charm not the food (If you can list resturants in mind that would be great)
I plan on at least checking the building to the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra.
I'm very spontaneous and open to any recommendations of places to see as long as it isn't too crowded but nothing should be a hassel since January in Buffalo isn't an ideal time, right?
If you can recommend or elude to this that would be fantastic in organizing my trip.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:04 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,962 times
Definitely Buffalo. Although- you may fall in love with it so much that you'll want to move, like many others have recently done!
Visit us!!! Come on and see downtown - once the 8th largest city in America, the largest inland port in the world, and to this day the second largest city in NYS.
Interesting Rust Belt fact about Buffalo...We still have the most railroad tracks in the city per square mile than any other city in the world!
There is tons to do here! It really amazes me everyday and I live here! Enjoy your trip and make the most of it!!!
Cheers~From Buffalo!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 PM

463 posts, read 1,048,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
I assume you are native to Buffalo so you have seen it all, but I'm actually looking foward to the lake effect snow and cold temperatures since I'm from a climate where it doesn't get very cold. I want to tour around and sightsee, I will likely do so by car and foot. I'm interested in seeing well established neighborhoods with architecture & homes that are museums and are now on the national historic register.
I want to make it to about three resturants that are there for the charm not the food (If you can list resturants in mind that would be great)
I'm very spontaneous and open to any recommendations of places to see as long as it isn't too crowded but nothing should be a hassel since January in Buffalo isn't an ideal time, right?
If you can recommend or elude to this that would be fantastic in organizing my trip.

When I was doing research about the architecture I stumbled upon this website.

Buffalo Tours | History & Architecture: Walking-Bus-Boat

As a fellow architecture fan, I'm sure you'll find something of interest.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:23 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I believe the Albright Knox museum is in Buffalo, isn't it?

Old 09-29-2009, 07:36 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Definitely Buffalo. Although- you may fall in love with it so much that you'll want to move, like many others have recently done!
Hehe, don't go that far, we've had this conversation before. They just want to rent the car, and you are trying to sell it! You must be sales of some kind.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:23 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Yeah, I am native to the area. I guess I am just thinking that the snow and cold could hinder the sightseeing aspirations a little. Architecture is nice, if it isn't burried!

I'll give areas and places some thought. The Allentown area, Hertel area, and downtown sound like just some places you would find appealing for their neighborhood, architecture, and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area