Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 03:48 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I think the reverse is true. If you ended tax money to sports (all teams, all cities) then sports would continue to be played as normal, as long as a profit could be had. They easily can turn a profit. Maybe salaries would drop some, but there is sure enough money being spent at ballparks across the country to be profitable without public subsidies.
They always will make a profit, people will pay for $100 jerseys, fans will buy the beer they see, keep their season tickets. Nothing will change except for the government handout given to them as they make millions a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 03:55 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, Boston College used to play some games in Foxboro, where the Patriots stadium is located. Temple has to go across town to play at Lincoln Financial Field, where the Eagles also play. I would think that UB would transport students to the game and maybe the local community would come out and support them too. Who knows?

BC played games in Foxboro because they could draw larger crowds when they faced Notre Dame, Miami, Penn State, etc. They have a long & storied football tradition with plenty of die hard fans to fill the old Foxboro Stadium, UB does not. The Bulls can't fill their small stadium so why would they play at the Ralph? If Syracuse ever got decent again they would have a better chance at filling the Ralph with a neutral site game vs Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State. UB is never going to be at the level to realistically challenge any of those teams (not that the 'Cuse is but they have a better chance at getting back to that level than UB does of ever getting there).

Temple plays at The Linc because they have no other choice at the moment (though they are considering building a smaller on campus stadium). Their home games are pathetic because the crowds are so small in that big stadium. They were thrown out of the big East in large part because of attendance issues.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:51 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,888 times
Quote:

I know it is going to take some time, but I think they have the facilities and the culture in terms of being in a Football area to make the move. To be honest, they held there own against Connecticut last year and I think the other sports could improve as well. Even the Basketball team is improving and almost made the NCAA tournament last year.
UCONN isn't really that great a team, sure they are good, but UB would get absolutely annihilated against OSU, Michigan, Penn State, UWM, or Iowa... It would be a serious bloodletting, besides that, UB can't even fill 10,000 sets, how could they be expected to fulfill the attendance requirements? Maybe they could push 20,000... but wouldn't come close to the attendance that they get in Ohio, Mich, Iowa, or Penn State.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:36 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
It was just a thought with UB, but I do understand that they have a long way to go. I will say that they did give Missouri a game at Missouri last year, before Missouri pulled away with the win, 42-21(was 28-21 late in the 3rdQ). I think Missouri was ranked 9th at the time too.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
It was just a thought with UB, but I do understand that they have a long way to go. I will say that they did give Missouri a game at Missouri last year, before Missouri pulled away with the win, 42-21(was 28-21 late in the 3rdQ). I think Missouri was ranked 9th at the time too.
If I remember right Missouri put their second string (maybe 3rd?) QB on, as most of their offense wasn't even regular starters.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times
I feel bad for Turner Gill because I do think he is a good coach. He should of been able to cash in on last years success & move on to a bigger program. Unfortunately, he may not be getting too many offers with the way this season has started.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:40 PM

70 posts, read 179,016 times
Quick question..if you are fed up with WNY why don't you move and stop complaining?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schayban88 View Post
Quick question..if you are fed up with WNY why don't you move and stop complaining?
I'd assume you are talking to me. First, look right under my name... 32 weeks and I'm gone.

Second, I actually hope for the best in Buffalo, so I point out flaws and suggest solutions in hopes that tomorrow's leaders might do something about them.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:55 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schayban88 View Post
I assume you've addressed your comments to me. As a taxpaying citizen I have every right as anyone else to stay where I choose to raise a family, I also have the right to question the yearly waste of our tax dollars by funding a pro football team that can't win their way out of a brown paper bag. I'll not move because you dislike the reasons behind my "complaints".

Unlike Can, I may be "fedup" but I'm not leaving Buffalo or WNY.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:18 PM

70 posts, read 179,016 times
I was referring to your user name and canerican I was not referring to you. Anyways that is the one problem we have in New York State, people here are way too negative and complain about anything and everything. If you go down south everyone talks so good about there areas even if it might be the highest crime area in the country, they still will talk good about their area. You put on the news and you here the news channels bashing on Buffalo, "3rd poorest city in the country." What they fail to mention is there are several other cities that are tied with Buffalo such as Miami, Kansas City, Cincinnati and so on. I'm so sick of all these whiners in New York State, people need to start being more positive and maybe taxes are so high because they are sick of listening to people complain about things like you are. We need this, we need that, do this and do that, they are elected for a reason, don't vote someone in if all you are going to do is complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area