Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 PM

744 posts, read 1,767,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
That's dishonest, as they went down with the rest of the country and went up slightly one quarter. You're making sound as if Buffalo's unemployment went down since the start of the recession, which it certainly did not..
True there are fewer jobs than a yaer ago, far less of a percentage drop than the nation as a whole 3% here vs 4.4% nationwide. But it is also true that from August to September this year the Buffalo metro gained 1,200 jobs. Thhis was reported in today's Buffalo News. The same cannot be said for many other metro areas across the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 02:26 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
True there are fewer jobs than a yaer ago, far less of a percentage drop than the nation as a whole 3% here vs 4.4% nationwide. But it is also true that from August to September this year the Buffalo metro gained 1,200 jobs. Thhis was reported in today's Buffalo News. The same cannot be said for many other metro areas across the USA.
Exactly my point.....

Old 10-18-2009, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,634 times
I was born and raised in Bflo Great city for family, community, old fashioned values. Unfortunately, altho we would have preferred to stay and be with family, our lack of potential income and therefore hope of owning a home and having discretionary money left over, forced us out after 2 years of looking diligently. Funny enough, my husband also was a firefighter(volunteer) and grad top of his class is criminal justice. No hope. We now earn 160K combined ( I work 2 days/wk) and afford a lifestyle we could never have in Bflo. Also, we chose to move within a days drive, b/c I do go home approx 4-6x/yr to be with family.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:06 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,443 times
Where did you move?

I am sure it's tough to move away from family, but Buffalo has brought this on itself.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:05 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRocks View Post
Buffalo & WNY was in it's own recession for the last 40 years
before the national recession started and when the national recession is over. Buffalo will still be in it's own recession for different reasons then why the national recession happen.
Which is why my dad left that town 40 years ago, although the writing was on the wall before then, even.

Not to be outdone, Rochester has been in a perma-recession for years, now, it took another generation to hit that town. The number of non-farm jobs in that metro has not changed in 20 years (In early '09 Rochester was 4500 jobs ahead of 1990).

At any rate, Buffalo is a text book example of decline and union/political corruption. Pittsburgh has its issues and examples of decline, BUT they've done a decent job of changing the image of that town, despite the population decline (which will continue).

The one employer which has kept things going in Buffalo is UB/Buff State.

I remember reading where Buffalo's largest employers were government entities, with UB at the top. Erie County was up there, too. Largest non-government employer at the time was the Lockport Delphi plant, at like 2200 employees (probably much smaller number than that, now).

Point is when it comes to any given metro like Buffalo, it hurts to have so many public sector jobs, with little economic diversity in the private sector and zero growth, therein.

School teaching is considered a government job, and i wouldn't count health care jobs as 100% private, due to the fact so much of health care is paid for by the government, already, in fact more so there than in other metros or states, even.

Why someone would move to there to take, say, an engineering job paying $55K/yr., minus the myriad taxes folks have to pay in NY, minus the horrid property taxes, is beyond me. Private sector folks simply avoid Upstate, NY, like the plague, which is why even right now some critical jobs across the region are going begging.

-

Old 10-22-2009, 08:32 PM

interesting article in Business First today. It shows that 0nly 8 States lost a SMALLER percentage of their job base than did NY over the past year. Sadly all 50 States plus DC lost jobs over the past year.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:49 PM

One more jobs coming to Lackawanna as a Guelph Ontario firm moves it's production to the US. Also good to see that Goodyear is closing a factory in South Carolina and shifting that work to Tonawanda's Dunlop plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area