Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:32 PM

27 posts, read 89,740 times

Advertisements

I have looked around on the internet and I searched in this forum but I do not see who the electric company is for Buffalo. From what I have gathered is that in NYS electric is regulated more than other states & it kinda looked like you get a choice of who you want to take for electric? That is pretty strange for me, everywhere I've lived you had no choice of electric companies. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 06:16 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,950 times
No, each utility has a territory that they serve.

I live in West Seneca right on the Buffalo boarder. We have National Grid, up the street uses NYSEG I believe.

Those are the two electric companies here.

Call them both, and give them your address. They will tell you if they serve your area or not. When I first moved here, I called the wrong one, and ended up calling National Grid to get service.

Once you get an established account, you can buy your service through a variety of marketers to save money (at least in theory).

Old 11-07-2009, 02:03 PM

OK thanks for the info.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:14 PM

744 posts, read 1,768,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayK View Post
OK thanks for the info.
You can buy your electricity and natural gas from a myriad of providers in WNY. The industry was opened up to competition several years ago. You have to use either NYSEG or National Grid to deliver your electricity or gas but they do not have to be the actual supplier of your energy. This link will explain the choices you can make far better than I can. Bottom line is delivery choice is based upon where you live but energy supplier is your choice. The most expensive route is to use either National Grid or NYSEG as your energy supplier.

NYSEG | Choose a Supplier

Old 11-09-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
You can buy your electricity and natural gas from a myriad of providers in WNY. The industry was opened up to competition several years ago. You have to use either NYSEG or National Grid to deliver your electricity or gas but they do not have to be the actual supplier of your energy. This link will explain the choices you can make far better than I can. Bottom line is delivery choice is based upon where you live but energy supplier is your choice. The most expensive route is to use either National Grid or NYSEG as your energy supplier.

NYSEG | Choose a Supplier
Thanks, I bookmarked the info for that.

I have another possible question as well. We hope to possibly get an apartment in Buffalo in a couple of months. We were looking at the rental prices for the city and they are pretty good and affordable. What areas are really bad areas to stay away from? Please no posts of "the entire city is bad move to the suburbs" because I personally hate the burbs, so I'm not interested in living outside the city itself. We looked on craigslist and saw some nicely priced 3 bedrooms which is what we would be interested in. We do possibly plan on buying a house after we have lived there for a little while as well. Or we are ok with a rent to own situation as well. Also we were thinking about renting the place before we get there just by talking to the landlord over the phone/online adn seeing pics becasue we do not want to waste money staying in a motel while we try to find a place to live. We don't have a car, we will be driving a U-haul. Thanks

Old 11-09-2009, 02:46 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,950 times
There are a few areas of the city that I like.

North Buffalo.. Most areas there are just fine.

There is an area of South Buffalo near Cazenovia Park that has plenty of nice houses. Most of the rest of South Buffalo isn't as nice.

If you like the more city feel, then the area surrounding Elmwood is not bad, but trendy and expensive.

Post some addresses, or general street locations, many on this forum can tell you if they would live there or not.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:16 PM

OK how about Roebling Ave?

Old 11-09-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I bookmarked the info for that.

I have another possible question as well. We hope to possibly get an apartment in Buffalo in a couple of months. We were looking at the rental prices for the city and they are pretty good and affordable. What areas are really bad areas to stay away from? Please no posts of "the entire city is bad move to the suburbs" because I personally hate the burbs, so I'm not interested in living outside the city itself. We looked on craigslist and saw some nicely priced 3 bedrooms which is what we would be interested in. We do possibly plan on buying a house after we have lived there for a little while as well. Or we are ok with a rent to own situation as well. Also we were thinking about renting the place before we get there just by talking to the landlord over the phone/online adn seeing pics becasue we do not want to waste money staying in a motel while we try to find a place to live. We don't have a car, we will be driving a U-haul. Thanks
I would suggest Kenmore just over the city limits. It is one of the most walkable area's of WNY. It was just this month named as one of America's 10 great neighborhoods. There are some great areas in the city too, but not a top 10'er. And no i do not live there.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:07 PM

Thanks for that. There was something else I was wondering about. I see places listed on Craigslist for rent anywhere from $350-$625 is this for real? Are they really that cheap a month or is there a catch. I'm gathering that since a majority of the places for rent are in that price range that it is for real, but it seems too good to be true in some way. I'm used to getting reamed for rent Rent I've paid in the past is WAY more than $350 a month!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that. There was something else I was wondering about. I see places listed on Craigslist for rent anywhere from $350-$625 is this for real? Are they really that cheap a month or is there a catch. I'm gathering that since a majority of the places for rent are in that price range that it is for real, but it seems too good to be true in some way. I'm used to getting reamed for rent Rent I've paid in the past is WAY more than $350 a month!
$625 seems about right but $350 seems pretty low, maybe for a small rear flat in the city or inner suburb, but not for anything substantial. BTW here is a link to Kenmore's award. It is cited for being one of the 100 most densely populated municipalities in the USA>

http://www.planning.org/greatplaces/...2009/index.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area