Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,597 times

Advertisements

I live in the Tucson area and this is another harsh summer. Days like this, Burlington seems appealing. During the sixties I went to college and remained in the area for a few years. Are there living areas for active adults that are affordable for middle class retirees? I no longer want to own a home and prefer renting a townhouse or apartment. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,067 times
Hi ogie, I'm thinking the exact same thing! I'm currently in Scottsdale and considering Burlington or St. Albans. However, in my brief search so far, there's very little/nothing available for the housing/lifestyle we are both interested in. I'm in the process of investigating the feasability, permits, costs, etc. of building a few units in a close-in area of town/city. Please contact me directly at p27708@gdc4s.com if you want to 'talk' some more.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:20 PM

507 posts, read 881,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
I live in the Tucson area and this is another harsh summer. Days like this, Burlington seems appealing. During the sixties I went to college and remained in the area for a few years. Are there living areas for active adults that are affordable for middle class retirees? I no longer want to own a home and prefer renting a townhouse or apartment. Thanks
Would be at least twice what you would pay in AZ.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:24 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,676,637 times
Burlington has the highest rents in the state. I don't want to keep repeating the same info over, but look at some of the recent posts on housing and wages. Burlington is a collage town and the number of available rental units is at a premium. One of the reasons prices are so high here.
Hi Ideafactory, I'm not sure if you know the building laws in the state of Vermont. I'm not discouraging you from your idea, but the state of Vermont has what is called Act 250. This act was put in place to control growth and to protect the environment. Due to the amount of growth in Chittenden County, Act 250 seems a bit harder to get through in this county. I'm not saying you will not be able to build. It just may take much longer than people from out of state are used to.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,067 times
Default Any info on status of St. Albans redevelopment plan?

Thanks, 68. Nothing worse than bureaucrats putting you through the hoops with delays and red tape. Very costly and frustrating! Especially difficult for an out-of-towner. I'm originally from a smallish town in MA, so I can guess the mentality. Anyway, I checked out St. Albans' website and - if they actually get the plan funded and operational - it looks like an awesome idea. I'm just wondering whether St. Albans is too small a town for me. Is the tourist season only summer, or winter, too? Would tourists want an apt/condo in town, or do they look mostly for cabins on the lake? Any info or opinions welcome!

Old 07-19-2010, 02:12 PM

11,765 posts, read 14,722,465 times
Here's an article from over the weekend about cohousing in the Burlington area. It may not be for everyone, but it might also be what you're looking for.

Going green, together | The Burlington Free Press | Burlington, Vermont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
View detailed profiles of: