Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,838 times

Advertisements

Hi there --

Im a young professional relocating to Burlington for an exciting new job after living in Boulder, CO for the last 6years.

I hear Burlington is actually the closest thing to Boulder there is, so Im very excited about this move , but searching for a new living situation from afar is definitely a new and frustrating experience!

I have an amazing 2year old dog that will obviously be coming with me but it seems from what Im seeing so far, that 1)Burlington rentals seem less plentiful than most places (surprising coming from the real-estate juggernaut of Boulder haha) and 2)having a dog is going to be a detriment in finding a nice place. Which is frustrating b/c ive never had any difficulties in Boulder.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to finding dog-friendly housing (she is a medium sized dog at 30-ish lbs, never barks, completely house trained). I would ideally love to find a situation with a yard or some sort of land, as that would make the transition a bit easier, but am open to apartment living as well...short term would really be the best option probably so that I can just get settled and then find a place I actually want to live in for a while. CraigsList has just seemed like a dead end thus far .

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 09:30 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,881 times
Seven Days is worth keeping an eye on Seven Days Classifieds | Vermont Jobs, Apartments, Cars, Services and Stuff

Congrats on your new job!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:24 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Try Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com

Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfadem View Post
Hi there --

Im a young professional relocating to Burlington for an exciting new job after living in Boulder, CO for the last 6years.

I hear Burlington is actually the closest thing to Boulder there is, so Im very excited about this move , but searching for a new living situation from afar is definitely a new and frustrating experience!

I have an amazing 2year old dog that will obviously be coming with me but it seems from what Im seeing so far, that 1)Burlington rentals seem less plentiful than most places (surprising coming from the real-estate juggernaut of Boulder haha) and 2)having a dog is going to be a detriment in finding a nice place. Which is frustrating b/c ive never had any difficulties in Boulder.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to finding dog-friendly housing (she is a medium sized dog at 30-ish lbs, never barks, completely house trained). I would ideally love to find a situation with a yard or some sort of land, as that would make the transition a bit easier, but am open to apartment living as well...short term would really be the best option probably so that I can just get settled and then find a place I actually want to live in for a while. CraigsList has just seemed like a dead end thus far .

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Finding any apartment in the Burlington city limits is tough, so landlords can still rent their apartments even with the no dogs restriction. The market is always tight. And because the apartments rent themselves, they aren't always the cleanest. More expensive than Boulder too, because the city limits size is so tiny. You wouldn't know it by looking at the scruffy headed, casually dressed UVM students, but many of them are from rich families in New Jersey and New York. Even more so than the University of Colorado. When I moved here five years ago, out of state tuition at the University of Vermont was the highest public tuition the country. I don't know if it's still the case, but it's up there. These rich kids and their parents fuel Burlington.

If you want land, you may have to go outside the city. You may have to even if you don't want land.

Welcome, as you are now part of the Boulder-Madison, Wisc-Burlington circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT