Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:36 PM

27,304 posts, read 44,301,737 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I currently live in Philadelphia and am working on a quick exit strategy. I had a horrible 2009 and it hasn't improved much since. I was downsized out of a job last year like many, nearly lost my house, haven't been able to find any job as the unemployment rate here is high (12% reported, around 25% unreported), and this past month like millions of others lost my Unemployment Compensation after just 42 weeks (I say just because the maximum used to be 99 weeks). Luckily, my Mom has been floating me enough to pay me bills and exist. I'm definitely fortunate in that respect. I had been planning to move to Florida to be closer to her as she's in her late 80's, and I'm the only child. The problem is that the economy in Florida is as bad as it is in Philadelphia and I fear more of the same.

So, my actual question is can someone with extensive experience (12 years) as a Retail Store Manager (specialty stores, not Wal-Mart, etc.) and many years prior in Restaurants/Hotels readily find work in Burlington or elsewhere in northern Vermont? According to the latest published Unemployment Rates, Burlington is at 4.8%. I would greatly appreciate any advice/feedback. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 02:21 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,146,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
So, my actual question is can someone with extensive experience (12 years) as a Retail Store Manager (specialty stores, not Wal-Mart, etc.) and many years prior in Restaurants/Hotels readily find work in Burlington or elsewhere in northern Vermont? According to the latest published Unemployment Rates, Burlington is at 4.8%. I would greatly appreciate any advice/feedback. Thanks!
Turnover in those businesses is notoriously high. If you could hold out long enough to network heavily, get to know the people at a few such businesses, and make yourself available, I'm guessing you could find something. I know several people who worked in management at Vermont restaurants and they got their start that way. You'd need enough money to survive until then.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:30 PM

282 posts, read 816,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Hi everyone,

I currently live in Philadelphia and am working on a quick exit strategy. I had a horrible 2009 and it hasn't improved much since. I was downsized out of a job last year like many, nearly lost my house, haven't been able to find any job as the unemployment rate here is high (12% reported, around 25% unreported), and this past month like millions of others lost my Unemployment Compensation after just 42 weeks (I say just because the maximum used to be 99 weeks). Luckily, my Mom has been floating me enough to pay me bills and exist. I'm definitely fortunate in that respect. I had been planning to move to Florida to be closer to her as she's in her late 80's, and I'm the only child. The problem is that the economy in Florida is as bad as it is in Philadelphia and I fear more of the same.

I can't offer any employment advise as I don't live there, however my son is in Burlington, as I write, He is loving the town, itself, as did my daughter when she was there, years ago.
Good luck to you

Old 07-06-2010, 04:36 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,674,753 times
The unemployment rate is really 6.2%. They don't always seasonally adjust the unemployment rate when it is posted. Seasonal adjustment is a statistical process which removes the effect of typical seasonal events such as summer breaks for school or weather related fluctuations in construction, lodging and ski areas. Data that have been seasonally adjusted are more likely to reflect true changes in the economy. It is lower than the national rate, but that does not mean that there is not tough competition for jobs. There are a few manager positions that are taking applications, but most of what is available is associate positions. They are all for national chains and I think a women's clothing store, I'm not sure if any of that matters. Best advice everyone gives is not to move unless you have a job. My son works in retail. If you interview for a job and they make you an offer, don't just accept what is offered for pay unless it is more than you expected. What he has seen in the last few years (recession period) is the low ball offer. With the economy as it is, they are trying to keep overhead down. With the amount of experience you have, you should get more money than entry level.
Rentals go for about $800/month for a dump on up. Average is around $1000/month for a decent place. Make sure your income will be enough to cover rent and expenses.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 AM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 405,377 times
Are you still in Philadelphia? I'm in Philly now and have been here for 4 months and want OUT. I am either going to go to Eugene/Portland, OR for the first time or back to Burlington where I lived for 4 years... Burlington is a great city.

Job-wise... there are only 3 main mental health agencies there... so for mental health the market is super tight, but I'm not sure about your field...

Best of luck?

PS- If you are still in Philly, maybe we can get together for tea.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:59 AM

325 posts, read 708,336 times
I've lived in both and I was underwhelmed by Eugene.....Burlington is a better place.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:05 PM

9 posts, read 21,324 times
your answers will be found in craigslist and monster. Put your resume out there, see what the response is. Don't just move somewhere and become another statistic of unemployment.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:59 PM

46 posts, read 82,604 times
The economy sucks everywhere. It's just something you need to get used to.

VT's low unemployment rate masks that people a)tend to give up quickly on finding jobs, b)retire to here and/or are okay being underemployed because they are older, and c)tend to move out of state if they lose a good job because there are so few prospects here.

The housing and rental markets are plain old insane compared to the median wage. You could throw a dart at any other place in the US and have a better match between housing and wages. (If you haven't guessed yet, we're planning on leaving soon.) You'd have just as much luck in FL with the tourist trade and have the advantage of low taxes and low housing costs. Good luck with your move.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:54 PM

190 posts, read 654,676 times
I agree with all the advice here, in particular waiting to get a job before you move.

I'd advise going in on an apartment with someone else. Really, it's the only way to get a (somewhat) affordable place. My roommate and I are paying 575 each for a quite spacious two-floor apt. On the same line, I know two people who are paying 450 each for a SINGLE room apartment. It has a little kitchen area and one tiny little room connected. Burlington is hit or miss- because there is little room for suburban development housing is notoriously high. You could end up with a decent place, or something incredibly small/falling apart.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:46 PM

9 posts, read 21,324 times
I pay $700 for a large 2 BR apartment in Essex. The second room is a bit small so I just use it as an office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT