Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 04:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,423 times

Advertisements

i plan on moving to burlington, vt from long island next june when my son graduates college. my kids, age 17 and 19 seem selfishly against my idea. they cannot grasp that i've stayed here on long island all these years for them, after my divorce. but now it's time for me to move to where i belong. i don't have a large income here, nor will i there. i'm hoping to find a very small house on south end. the condo idea isn't for me because i like privacy. any suggestions on best ways to meet new friends in burlington?? i'm a 49 year old woman. i'm already in a relationship with someone across the lake, so i'm only looking for ideas on meeting friends. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 03:53 PM

530 posts, read 1,342,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montpelierose View Post
i plan on moving to burlington, vt from long island next june when my son graduates college. my kids, age 17 and 19 seem selfishly against my idea. they cannot grasp that i've stayed here on long island all these years for them, after my divorce. but now it's time for me to move to where i belong. i don't have a large income here, nor will i there. i'm hoping to find a very small house on south end. the condo idea isn't for me because i like privacy. any suggestions on best ways to meet new friends in burlington?? i'm a 49 year old woman. i'm already in a relationship with someone across the lake, so i'm only looking for ideas on meeting friends. thanks!
Are your 17 and 19 year olds planning on moving with you? If so, that might explain their animosity to the idea. Is one of them the graduate? Maybe he or she would rather stay in NY to explore better job opportunities. You will most likely meet new friends by exploring the community and at your job. Do you have a job lined up?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:33 AM

11 posts, read 37,186 times
I'm 55, and moved here three years ago. It takes a while to make new friends, but the new ones I have here are mostly from work, my exercise class, and my photography meetup group. Meetup.org has lots of free groups in Burlington - book clubs, kayaking, movies, etc. and many of the others who join will be newcomers also. Vermonters can be reserved (they're respecting your privacy) so don't be afraid to make the first move, start conversations and invite people to do things.

Like jenny1951 above, I'm wondering if you are bringing your kids with you, and if future college costs here are a consideration. We left our youngest behind with instate tuition in North Carolina when we moved. Instate tuition and fees at University of Vermont are over $15,000 per year, nearly triple what we paid for a fine education in the UNC system. Since UVM is one of the most expensive state schools in the country, I'm sure NY tuition is lower too.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 AM

69 posts, read 162,747 times
There is a website meetup.com that has groups on it. Explore the site and you might find some or start one or two!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 20,476 times
Cool moving to burlington

Jenny, my kids are about the sam age and I am planning to move to Burlington myself. Ive just started looking, not sure if Im going to own or rent. We're about the same age though. Maybe we could meet up sometime. Im in Jersey. Id ask you if you were looking for a roommate but Im bringing my Husky with me and Im guessing most people arent willing to live with someone else's dog's fur all over everything. Im wondering if he'll shed less there... Anyway, do you have a realtor or anything? What made you decide to pick Burlington? Im still looking at New Hampshire a little bit but Im pretty sure Burlington is it. TC.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,667,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretiosa View Post
Jenny, my kids are about the sam age and I am planning to move to Burlington myself. Ive just started looking, not sure if Im going to own or rent. We're about the same age though. Maybe we could meet up sometime. Im in Jersey. Id ask you if you were looking for a roommate but Im bringing my Husky with me and Im guessing most people arent willing to live with someone else's dog's fur all over everything. Im wondering if he'll shed less there... Anyway, do you have a realtor or anything? What made you decide to pick Burlington? Im still looking at New Hampshire a little bit but Im pretty sure Burlington is it. TC.
I'll fill you in on your husky. I owned a husky when I first moved here. Your dog will shed the same or more depending on the year. Our dog put on a thick coat during the winter and with the warmer and warmer summers we've been having, the dog will shed quite a bit. We came up from CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT