Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 09:39 PM

30 posts, read 113,320 times

Advertisements

We have a 3.5 yr old son and we are considering a move to the Burlington area. Everything looks promising in our research, but the schools seem very disappointing in terms of scores. I keep reading that Burlington is one of the best places to raise a family. But how can that be when I also see how poorly the schools are failing.

Can anyone tell me the names of specific schools (Elem, Middle and HS) that are not failing or below average and that are actually considered very good?

Thanks!
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 07:07 AM

76 posts, read 202,267 times
In surrounding areas: South Burlington, Williston, Shelburne, Charlotte, and Essex all have excellent school systems. I know a lot of people who have kids in the Champlain Elementary School in Burlington and absolutely love it (but apparently a lot of people are moving to the South End of Burlington for that school and it's creating challenges). There's also a new sustainability academy at the Lawrence Barnes school in Burlington.....Barnes is not very highly rated, but my friends with kids in the sustainability academy love it; I think it's too new for test scores, though.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:14 AM

986 posts, read 2,333,623 times
Test scores don't accurately give you an idea of just how good or bad a school is. You need to talk to people. If you're a good parent and your child is a good student, he will succeed at just about any school. School is primarily what the student makes of it. With supportive parents, most children will do quite well in almost any school. It's when you get parents who don't play an active role in their children's lives and children who just don't give a crap that you end up with students who do poorly in school.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:56 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,154 times
One thing to keep in mind is that the Burlington School Board has been discussing busing for a while. The idea behind it is that if economically disadvantaged kids attend school with middle and upper-class students they will perform better.

So far, the board hasn't been able to pass this. But, if the policy is implemented it might not matter where in Burlington you relocate to because your child could be bused to a school outside of your neighborhood. From what I've heard some Burlington schools are great, while others including the magnet school are so-so at best.

My neighbor is a college professor and former Burlington resident and says that the schools in the towns surrounding Burlington (Colchester, South Burlington, Essex, etc.) are excellent.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:28 PM

I am wondering if there is any sense of political correctness in the school system where they "dumb it down" instead of challenging kids to work harder?

Sure, I understand that working with my kids is key to their education, but also key is the teacher challenging the kids equally as much. I grew up blue collar and that is how blue collar schools teach their kids.....to ALSO be blue collar. My wife was raised in a very affluent neighborhood and she went to what is basically a college factory school system. I believe strongly that society is set up to favor the affluent over everyone else in terms of education.

That being the case, and with Vermont being hard hit in terms of income and jobs, do most kids go off to college (Not community college) or are many just left wondering what they are going to do after high school?

Old 07-11-2010, 04:35 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,884 times
The three schools that had any ranking nationally in Vermont were Monpelier, Colchester and I believe Danville. Colchester is 10 min from Burlington. The top 1600 schools were on the list. Montpelier-1210, Colchester-1454 and Danville-1527. South Burlington and Rice for H.S. in the Burlington area have been considered the better schools. Burlington schools I don't think come close.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farans View Post
I am wondering if there is any sense of political correctness in the school system where they "dumb it down" instead of challenging kids to work harder?

Sure, I understand that working with my kids is key to their education, but also key is the teacher challenging the kids equally as much. I grew up blue collar and that is how blue collar schools teach their kids.....to ALSO be blue collar. My wife was raised in a very affluent neighborhood and she went to what is basically a college factory school system. I believe strongly that society is set up to favor the affluent over everyone else in terms of education.

That being the case, and with Vermont being hard hit in terms of income and jobs, do most kids go off to college (Not community college) or are many just left wondering what they are going to do after high school?
I'm not sure I follow you. How is college prep less challenging than classes that aren't for college prep? I went to a college prep high school in CT and we were most definitely challenged and push to do more, including service work. But it was a private catholic school.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:41 AM

I think you read that wrong. I was saying that college prep schools ARE better preparing our kids. I am looking for schools that do this as opposed to those where they just try to funnel you through.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farans View Post
I think you read that wrong. I was saying that college prep schools ARE better preparing our kids. I am looking for schools that do this as opposed to those where they just try to funnel you through.
I was a little confused by that. However, there is nothing wrong with going to trade school. I think high schools in general are different than when you were in school. I can't speak for those in VT, but most are geared towards college prep (which is, unfortunately, the norm for the vast majority of students these days) with some that teach trades (which is, in my opinion, something more students should seriously consider).

No matter what type of school it is, it should challenge the student intellectually, but not everyone needs to know how to do calculus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT